Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Submit Guest Post

Britain's Theresa May says no-deal Brexit would not be a disaster

Prime minister Theresa May indicated on Tuesday (28) that a no-deal Brexit would not be a disaster for Britain, playing down warnings of serious consequences for the UK economy.

May said she was confident of striking an acceptable new deal with Brussels as Britain prepares to leave the European Union in March.


She cited WTO director-general Roberto Azevedo, as she made her case.

"Look at what the director of the World Trade Organization has said," May told British media on her tour of Africa.

"He said about a no-deal situation that it would not be a walk in the park but it wouldn't be the end of the world."

Her government last week outlined its preparations for a no-deal scenario.

"What the government is doing is putting in place the preparations such that if we are in that situation we can make a success of it, just as we will make a success of the good deal I believe we are able to get and the good deal we are working to get," she said.

London and Brussels have yet to reach an agreement on the terms of Britain's exit from the bloc.

British lawmakers are split on May's proposals to keep Britain close to the EU on trade - parts of which have since been rejected by Brussels.

London and Brussels hope to strike a deal by October, to allow its ratification by the European and British parliaments before Britain leaves the EU.

Last week, British finance minister Philip Hammond warned a no-deal Brexit could have "large fiscal consequences" on productivity and borrowing.

And Alexander Winterstein, a European Commission spokesman, said the bloc was focused on achieving Britain's "orderly withdrawal" but "preparing for all possible outcomes".

"The withdrawal of the UK is going to lead to disruption regardless - with a deal or without a deal," he said.

May was asked about whether she would instruct her Conservative lawmakers to support a no-deal Brexit if her blueprint falls through.

"I've said right from the beginning that no deal is better than a bad deal," she said.

(AFP)

Add EasternEye As Your Trusted Source
preferred source on google news

More For You

UK Farmers

Farmers are bringing in crops early as prolonged drought puts yields and water supplies under pressure

iStock

Britain puts £65m behind farmers as drought starts threatening the country’s food supply

  • Farmers in England will receive an additional £65m in support.
  • £15m will help fund on-farm reservoirs for future dry periods.
  • Britain is facing its third drought in five years.

Britain is putting £65 million into emergency support for farmers as the country's prolonged drought begins to threaten not just agricultural incomes but the reliability of its food supply.

Prime Minister Andy Burnham announced the package on August 15, after England and Wales recorded their driest July on record. The support will go towards sustainable farming, new on-farm reservoirs and making it easier for farmers to access water during periods of shortage.

Keep ReadingShow less