Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Appeal opens against acquittal of Briton convicted in Daniel Pearl killing

An appeal against the controversial acquittal of a British-born militant convicted of murdering American journalist Daniel Pearl opened at a Pakistani court on Tuesday (1).

A Karachi court sparked outrage earlier this year when it overturned the 2002 murder conviction of Ahmed Omar Saeed Sheikh, and acquitted three other men connected to the case.


Pearl's parents and prosecutors lodged an appeal at Pakistan's Supreme Court in May, putting the release of the four men on hold.

"The case has finally opened, it will be decided whether they should be convicted or acquitted. The case is heading to a final verdict," Faisal Siddiqui, the lawyer representing Pearl's parents, told AFP.

The appeal, which has been frequently postponed in recent months, will hear opening arguments in the capital Islamabad on Wednesday.

Sheikh had been on death row for Pearl's murder but was acquitted in April by the Sindh High Court which instead sentenced him to seven years for kidnapping -- paving the way for him to walk free after already serving 18 years.

Three co-defendants who were serving life sentences in connection to the case were acquitted.

Pearl was South Asia bureau chief for The Wall Street Journal when he was abducted in Karachi in January 2002 while researching a story about Islamist militants.

A graphic video showing his decapitation was delivered to the US consulate nearly a month later.

Pearl's killing stirred international condemnation of Pakistan's military government just as it was remaking its image after years of backing the Taliban in neighbouring Afghanistan.

More For You

Indian student visa issue

Viswanathan had secured third place on the party's internal candidate ranking for the region

NUS Scotland

Indian student dropped from Greens race over visa while similar candidate wins MSP seat

Highlights

  • Indian student asked to withdraw from candidate list over visa concerns.
  • Another student visa holder allowed to run and won MSP seat.
  • Party denies blocking candidates based on immigration status.
An Indian student leader has accused the Scottish Green Party of treating candidates with visa concerns differently after she was asked to step down while another person in the same situation was allowed to contest and win.

Sai Shraddha Viswanathan, who currently serves as president of the National Union of Students Scotland, told BBC that party officials asked her to withdraw from the North East Scotland candidate list last July.

The reason given was concerns about her student visa status and whether she could serve a full term without new papers.

Keep ReadingShow less