Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Yan Dhanda wants a British-Asian to be FA chairman

SWANSEA midfielder and British South Asian superstar Yan Dhanda, while responding to the recent comments by Greg Clarke, has said that the mistreatment of Asian people in football is often 'swept under the carpet'.

Dhanda added that he would be happy if a suitably-qualified British Asian applies for FA chairman post.


In an interview to Sky Sports News, Dhanda opined that Clarke’s remarks ‘undo good work of so many in the game’

Clarke resigned from his role as FA chairman last week after making a number of offensive remarks before a digital, culture, media and sport committee, which included using the word "coloured" to describe black players.

He also went on to suggest the lack of South Asians in the game, in comparison to Afro-Caribbean people, was down to the fact they had 'different career interests' such as IT.

Asian-led supporters' groups across the country have criticised the remarks.

According to the former England youth international Dhanda, Clarke's comments illustrate how little progress has been made in the fight for equality across the game.

"To be honest, I can't believe someone so high up in the FA and someone so powerful in football can even be saying comments like that," Dhanda, whose father Jas hails from the northern India state of Punjab, told Sky Sports News.

"The way he was talking about women's football, the words he was using towards people from different races and from different parts of the world is disgusting really, and obviously the bit that hurt me the most is what he was saying about Asian people and stereotyping them.”

Dhanda thinks an ethnically diverse candidate could thrive in the role of FA chairman, but says ultimately it must go to the best person for the job.

"Nobody has even mentioned South Asian people doing the job and being in charge. This is my point and has been my point for four or five years that they always get overlooked," he said.

Dhanda said that the ‘mistreatment’ of Asian people is just getting brushed under the carpet and people are sugar-coating it and saying things are changing.

“When you are Asian, you actually know it is not improving. And you have got people like Greg Clarke who are that high up thinking this way towards Asian people, so you never know how many people below him, or above him, or even with the same power as him are thinking the same things,” he said.

"Until that changes we are never going to make any progress. We are not making progress when people like Greg Clarke are making comments like that."

Former Liverpool and West Brom youngster Dhanda, who is one of the most high-profile British South Asian players in the English game.

"The thing that gets me the most is people are sitting on the fence and not sticking up for what's right.If you're an Asian person and you're getting interviewed, and you're asked if there are problems, don't sugar-coat it to not upset anyone, just be honest and tell the truth, and that's what I am doing,” he said.

More For You

​Vishal and Sai Dhanshika engagement on his 47th birthday takes fans by surprise

Vishal and Sai Dhanshika at their Chennai engagement ceremony

​Vishal and Sai Dhanshika engagement on his 47th birthday takes fans by surprise

Highlights:

  • Actors Vishal and Sai Dhanshika got engaged on his 47th birthday in Chennai
  • Wedding postponed until the Nadigar Sangam building is completed
  • Couple first confirmed their relationship in May 2025 at a press meet
  • Celebrities and fans flooded social media with congratulatory wishes

Tamil cinema stars Vishal and Sai Dhanshika made their relationship official in May, and on Friday, 29 August 2025, the pair celebrated their engagement. The event took place on Vishal’s 47th birthday in Chennai, with close friends and family in attendance. The engagement was widely shared on social media after Vishal confirmed the news on his X handle.

The Vishal and Sai Dhanshika engagement has now become one of the most talked-about events in Tamil film circles, especially as the couple postponed their wedding until the Nadigar Sangam building’s completion, a cause close to Vishal as General Secretary of the organisation.

Keep ReadingShow less
Sabrina Carpenter’s ‘Man’s Best Friend’ divides fans with explicit songs and controversial cover art

Sabrina Carpenter unveils Man’s Best Friend with unapologetic lyrics and daring cover art

Instagram/sabrinacarpenter

Sabrina Carpenter’s ‘Man’s Best Friend’ divides fans with explicit songs and controversial cover art

Highlights:

  • Sabrina Carpenter says Man’s Best Friend is “not for pearl clutchers”
  • Album includes nine explicit tracks and provocative artwork
  • Gayle King interview highlights singer’s unapologetic stance
  • Seventh studio release follows her Grammy-winning Short n’ Sweet

Sabrina Carpenter has addressed the backlash surrounding her Man’s Best Friend album, making it clear the project embraces explicit lyrics and bold imagery. Speaking to broadcaster Gayle King on CBS Mornings, the pop star said her record is “not for any pearl clutchers.” The 26-year-old explained that the music captures freedom of expression and fun, a theme she wants her fans to embrace despite criticism over her provocative stage visuals and artwork.

Sabrina Carpenter unveils Man’s Best Friend with unapologetic lyrics and daring cover art Instagram/sabrinacarpenter

Keep ReadingShow less
Julia Roberts After the Hunt

Julia Roberts at the Venice Film Festival premiere of After the Hunt as debate on #MeToo intensifies

Getty Images

Julia Roberts 'After the Hunt' grilled at Venice over #MeToo and Woody Allen nod

Highlights:

  • Julia Roberts addresses tough questions on feminism and complicity
  • After the Hunt centres on misconduct allegations in academia
  • Director Luca Guadagnino defends the film’s bold narrative choices
  • Amazon MGM to release the film in North America on 10 October

Julia Roberts’ After the Hunt became one of the most talked-about premieres at the Venice Film Festival as the film stirred a heated #MeToo debate. With questions of complicity, feminism, and responsibility dominating the press conference, the actress and director Luca Guadagnino faced pointed scrutiny. The psychological drama, set in higher education, not only highlighted misconduct but also raised deeper issues of accountability and shifting cultural conversations.

Julia Roberts After the Hunt Julia Roberts at the Venice Film Festival premiere of After the Hunt as debate on #MeToo intensifies Getty Images

Keep ReadingShow less
India-Canada-iStock

India and Canada have appointed new envoys in a step to restore diplomatic ties strained since 2023. (Representational image: iStock)

iStock

Envoys appointed as India, Canada move to restore diplomatic ties

INDIA and Canada on Thursday announced the appointment of new envoys to each other’s capitals, in a step aimed at restoring strained ties following the killing of a Sikh separatist in 2023.

India has named senior diplomat Dinesh K Patnaik as the next high commissioner to Ottawa, while Canada appointed Christopher Cooter as its new envoy to New Delhi.

Keep ReadingShow less
Selena Gomez bachelorette

Selena Gomez poses in Cabo wearing a pearl-embellished minidress during her bachelorette celebrations.

Instagram/selenagomez

Selena Gomez turns Cabo bachelorette into runway with pearl minidress and bikini parade before Benny Blanco wedding

Highlights:

  • Selena Gomez shared photos and videos from her bachelorette celebrations in Cabo San Lucas, Mexico
  • The star wore a series of bridal-inspired white outfits, from pearl minidresses to crochet cover-ups
  • Blanco marked his bachelor party in Las Vegas with friends and fine dining
  • The couple, engaged since December 2024, are expected to tie the knot this autumn

Selena Gomez has given fans a behind-the-scenes look at her bachelorette party in Cabo San Lucas, where she gathered her closest friends for a sun-soaked celebration ahead of her upcoming wedding to music producer Benny Blanco. The 33-year-old singer, who announced her engagement in December 2024, posted a carousel of photos and videos on Instagram that captured the group’s seaside getaway, featuring themed decorations, yacht rides, and candlelit dinners.

Selena Gomez bachelorette Selena Gomez poses in Cabo wearing a pearl-embellished minidress during her bachelorette celebrations. Instagram/selenagomez

Keep ReadingShow less