Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Vedanta Ltd likely to spin off business into four entities

Vedanta Ltd likely to spin off business into four entities

NATURAL resources conglomerate Vedanta Ltd is planning to spin off its businesses into four entities, media reports said on Thursday (28).

According to the plan, the company, controlled by billionaire tycoon Anil Agarwal, will be demerged into metals, power, aluminium and oil and gas businesses which will be separately listed on the exchanges.

The exercise, which requires shareholder approval and regulatory clearance, may take two to three months to complete.

An announcement on the restructuring is expected this week, Reuters reported citing a source.

The demerger effort comes about three years after Agarwal’s unsuccessful attempt to take the company private.

Last month, he hinted at the conglomerate’s demerger to get better valuations.

Vedanta, which declined to its 52-week low on the Bombay Stock Exchange on Thursday has a market capitalisation of Rs 774.47 billion (£7.63 bn).

On Tuesday (26), Moody's Investors Service downgraded the corporate family rating for Vedanta Ltd’s London-based parent Vedanta Resources, citing a lack of meaningful progress in addressing its upcoming debt maturities through refinancing.

“The company continues to face challenges in refinancing its debt,” Moody’s said.

However, an Economic Times report said Vedanta Resources was holding discussions with private equity firms to raise funds for partial repayment of the company’s bonds maturing in the next two years.

It was in advanced talks with Cerberus Capital, Ares SSG Capital, Bain Capital and Davidson Kempner, seeking a short-term loan of $1 billion, the report said.

More For You

Royal Mail

UK retailers face growing competition from ultra-low-cost platforms that send packages directly from Chinese factories to customers' doorsteps

Getty Images

UK retailers welcome customs duty on cheap imports but criticise 2029 timeline

Highlights

  • UK to charge customs duties on all parcels from March 2029, ending exemption on items under £135.
  • Retailers warn delay risks making Britain international outlier as US and EU act faster on cheap imports.
  • Currently 1.6 m parcels daily benefit from exemption, twice last year's figure, costing UK revenue.
British retailers have welcomed the government's decision to charge customs duties on low-value e-commerce parcels but criticised the March 2029 implementation date as too late, warning it risks making the country an international outlier.

UK retailers face growing competition from ultra-low-cost platforms including AliExpress, Shein, Temu and Amazon Haul, which send packages directly from Chinese factories to customers' doorsteps while benefiting from a customs waiver on parcels worth less than £135.

Chancellor Rachel Reeves announced the change would "stop overseas online firms from undercutting our high street" by applying customs duty on parcels of any value. However, the Treasury confirmed implementation would occur in March 2029 "at the latest", with consultation running until March next year.

Keep ReadingShow less