Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

US releases heavily redacted Prince Harry visa documents

'There was no evidence he received special treatment'

US releases heavily redacted Prince Harry visa documents

FILE PHOTO: Prince Harry and Meghan. (Photo by Victoria Jones - WPA Pool/Getty Images)

THE US government released documents related to a court battle over Prince Harry's 2020 visa application on Tuesday (18) but redacted large portions, saying it had a duty to protect his privacy and there was no evidence he received special treatment.

A conservative think tank, The Heritage Foundation, had filed a Freedom of Information Act request, arguing the public had a right to know if the British royal disclosed the prior drug use that he detailed in his memoir, "Spare," on his application.


More than 80 pages of court filings and transcripts were released on Tuesday with large sections covered in black.

Immigration officials said the Heritage Foundation had not established that the public interest outweighed the right to privacy for Harry, the Duke of Sussex.

"Plaintiffs allege that the records should be disclosed as public confidence in the government would suffer or to establish whether the Duke was granted preferential treatment. This speculation by Plaintiffs does not point to any evidence of government misconduct," wrote Jarrod Panter, an official in the US Citizenship and Immigration Services, part of the Department of Homeland Security.

In his 2023 memoir, Harry said he had used cocaine and marijuana. Harry and his American wife Meghan dropped their royal duties in Britain and moved to the United States in 2020. Representatives for Harry and the Heritage Foundation did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

(Reuters)

More For You

Sri Lanka Floods: Cyclone Ditwah Strikes, Death Toll Rises

The Disaster Management Centre (DMC) said the toll increased after more bodies were recovered in the worst-hit central region, where mudslides buried most of the victims earlier this week.(Photo: Getty Images)

Sri Lanka floods: Troops deployed as death toll rises to 69

SRI LANKAN troops worked on Friday to rescue hundreds of people stranded by rising floodwaters as weather-related deaths reached 69 and 34 people were reported missing.

Helicopters and navy boats carried out several rescue operations, taking residents from rooftops, treetops and villages cut off by the floods.

Keep ReadingShow less