Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

US Exempts India Backed Iran’s Chabahar Port From Sanctions

The United States said on Tuesday (6) that it would exempt Iran's Indian-backed port of Chabahar from new sanctions on Tehran, recognising the value of the project to Afghanistan.

Late last year, Iran inaugurated the port on the Indian Ocean which provides a key supply route to landlocked Afghanistan and allows India to bypass its historic enemy, Pakistan.


The United States will exempt from sanctions the development of Chabahar along with an attached railway project and Iranian petroleum shipments into Afghanistan, the US state department said.

President Donald Trump's "South Asia strategy underscores our ongoing support of Afghanistan's economic growth and development as well as our close partnership with India," a State Department spokesperson said.

"This exception relates to reconstruction assistance and economic development for Afghanistan. These activities are vital for the ongoing support of Afghanistan's growth and humanitarian relief," the spokesperson added.

The United States, which has been building closer relations with New Delhi since the late 1990s, earlier exempted India from sanctions that took effect on Monday (5).

The Trump administration has vowed to exert maximum pressure on Iran to end its support for regional proxies, exiting a denuclearisation agreement that brought sanctions relief.

Trump's decision has been opposed by European powers as well as other nations including India, which has largely warm relations with Iran and accuses Pakistan of fomenting attacks on its soil.

India has poured two billion dollars into Afghanistan since the 2001 US-led overthrow of the extremist Taliban regime, which was also opposed by Iran.

India has seen Chabahar as a key way both to send supplies to Afghanistan and to step up trade with Central Asia as well as Africa.

Iran has plans to link the port by railway to Zahedan on the Pakistani border up to Mashhad in the northeast.

Agence France-Presse

More For You

UAE Burj Khalifa

UAE plans to double Fujairah export capacity by 2027 through a new West-East pipeline

iStock

UAE accelerates work on West-East pipeline to bypass Strait of Hormuz

  • UAE plans to double Fujairah export capacity by 2027 through a new West-East pipeline.
  • The move comes as Iran’s blockade of the Strait of Hormuz continues to disrupt global oil flows.
  • Abu Dhabi is also strengthening energy ties with India through strategic crude storage deals.

The United Arab Emirates is speeding up construction of a major oil pipeline that could dramatically reduce its dependence on the Strait of Hormuz, as the Gulf region grapples with one of its worst energy disruptions in years.

The project, led by the Abu Dhabi National Oil Company (ADNOC), is designed to expand crude export capacity through Fujairah on the Gulf of Oman coast. Once completed, the pipeline network is expected to carry between 3 million and 3.6 million barrels of oil per day, effectively doubling the UAE’s current bypass capacity outside Hormuz.

Keep ReadingShow less