Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

UK and Ireland to host Euro 2028

Six of the proposed venues for the 2028 tournament are in England

UK and Ireland to host Euro 2028

THE UK and Ireland will co-host Euro 2028, while Italy and Turkey will be joint hosts of the 2032 tournament, UEFA announced.

Both bids ran unopposed but still needed official approval from European football's governing body, which they received at a meeting in Switzerland.


Turkey last week withdrew from the bidding process for Euro 2028, clearing the path for Britain and Ireland, who shelved plans to bid to host the 2030 World Cup to focus on staging the European Championship.

"The UK and Ireland thanks UEFA for its confidence to award UEFA EURO 2028 to the five Association partnership, and congratulates Italy and Turkey on their appointment for UEFA EURO 2032," read a joint statement from the five football associations.

FIFA last week announced that Morocco, Portugal and Spain will stage the 2030 World Cup but games will also be played in Uruguay, Argentina and Paraguay as the footballing showpiece celebrates its centenary.

Saudi Arabia subsequently revealed it plans to bid to host the 2034 World Cup.

Turkey, which has bid unsuccessfully to stage every European Championship going back to 2008, was initially a candidate for both Euro 2028 and 2032.

However, in July it agreed to join Italy in a bid for the 2032 edition, without saying at the time if it would pull out of the running for 2028.

England, which hosted the women's Euro last year, last organised a major men's tournament in 1996, when the European Championship involved just 16 teams.

"I grew up with Euro 96 being one of the most amazing memories of my childhood. And we have a chance to do that all over again for lots more people, just like we did last year with the Lionesses," said UK Prime Minister Rishi Sunak as he visited England's training base on Tuesday.

"We're going to welcome millions of people to the country, and it's going to inspire a whole new generation."

Between them, England and Scotland hosted 12 games during Euro 2020 that was held in various locations across the continent with both semi-finals and final taking place at Wembley.

Six of the proposed venues for the 2028 tournament are in England, with two stadiums in London and others in Manchester, Liverpool, Newcastle and Birmingham.

Belfast, Dublin, Glasgow and Cardiff are also in line for matches.

Irish Prime Minister Leo Varadkar said on X, formerly Twitter, that he was "over the moon that Ireland and the UK will co-host Euro 2028".

"It will be the biggest event ever hosted by our two islands working together."

Russia initially declared an interest in hosting either the 2028 or 2032 Euro but UEFA later said it would not consider any bid from the Russian Football Union.

That was after Russian clubs and national teams were suspended from all UEFA competitions due to the war in Ukraine.

The next Euro will be played in Germany next year, from June 14 to July 14.

(AFP)

More For You

​Vishal and Sai Dhanshika engagement on his 47th birthday takes fans by surprise

Vishal and Sai Dhanshika at their Chennai engagement ceremony

​Vishal and Sai Dhanshika engagement on his 47th birthday takes fans by surprise

Highlights:

  • Actors Vishal and Sai Dhanshika got engaged on his 47th birthday in Chennai
  • Wedding postponed until the Nadigar Sangam building is completed
  • Couple first confirmed their relationship in May 2025 at a press meet
  • Celebrities and fans flooded social media with congratulatory wishes

Tamil cinema stars Vishal and Sai Dhanshika made their relationship official in May, and on Friday, 29 August 2025, the pair celebrated their engagement. The event took place on Vishal’s 47th birthday in Chennai, with close friends and family in attendance. The engagement was widely shared on social media after Vishal confirmed the news on his X handle.

The Vishal and Sai Dhanshika engagement has now become one of the most talked-about events in Tamil film circles, especially as the couple postponed their wedding until the Nadigar Sangam building’s completion, a cause close to Vishal as General Secretary of the organisation.

Keep ReadingShow less
Sabrina Carpenter’s ‘Man’s Best Friend’ divides fans with explicit songs and controversial cover art

Sabrina Carpenter unveils Man’s Best Friend with unapologetic lyrics and daring cover art

Instagram/sabrinacarpenter

Sabrina Carpenter’s ‘Man’s Best Friend’ divides fans with explicit songs and controversial cover art

Highlights:

  • Sabrina Carpenter says Man’s Best Friend is “not for pearl clutchers”
  • Album includes nine explicit tracks and provocative artwork
  • Gayle King interview highlights singer’s unapologetic stance
  • Seventh studio release follows her Grammy-winning Short n’ Sweet

Sabrina Carpenter has addressed the backlash surrounding her Man’s Best Friend album, making it clear the project embraces explicit lyrics and bold imagery. Speaking to broadcaster Gayle King on CBS Mornings, the pop star said her record is “not for any pearl clutchers.” The 26-year-old explained that the music captures freedom of expression and fun, a theme she wants her fans to embrace despite criticism over her provocative stage visuals and artwork.

Sabrina Carpenter unveils Man’s Best Friend with unapologetic lyrics and daring cover art Instagram/sabrinacarpenter

Keep ReadingShow less
Julia Roberts After the Hunt

Julia Roberts at the Venice Film Festival premiere of After the Hunt as debate on #MeToo intensifies

Getty Images

Julia Roberts 'After the Hunt' grilled at Venice over #MeToo and Woody Allen nod

Highlights:

  • Julia Roberts addresses tough questions on feminism and complicity
  • After the Hunt centres on misconduct allegations in academia
  • Director Luca Guadagnino defends the film’s bold narrative choices
  • Amazon MGM to release the film in North America on 10 October

Julia Roberts’ After the Hunt became one of the most talked-about premieres at the Venice Film Festival as the film stirred a heated #MeToo debate. With questions of complicity, feminism, and responsibility dominating the press conference, the actress and director Luca Guadagnino faced pointed scrutiny. The psychological drama, set in higher education, not only highlighted misconduct but also raised deeper issues of accountability and shifting cultural conversations.

Julia Roberts After the Hunt Julia Roberts at the Venice Film Festival premiere of After the Hunt as debate on #MeToo intensifies Getty Images

Keep ReadingShow less
India-Canada-iStock

India and Canada have appointed new envoys in a step to restore diplomatic ties strained since 2023. (Representational image: iStock)

iStock

Envoys appointed as India, Canada move to restore diplomatic ties

INDIA and Canada on Thursday announced the appointment of new envoys to each other’s capitals, in a step aimed at restoring strained ties following the killing of a Sikh separatist in 2023.

India has named senior diplomat Dinesh K Patnaik as the next high commissioner to Ottawa, while Canada appointed Christopher Cooter as its new envoy to New Delhi.

Keep ReadingShow less
Selena Gomez bachelorette

Selena Gomez poses in Cabo wearing a pearl-embellished minidress during her bachelorette celebrations.

Instagram/selenagomez

Selena Gomez turns Cabo bachelorette into runway with pearl minidress and bikini parade before Benny Blanco wedding

Highlights:

  • Selena Gomez shared photos and videos from her bachelorette celebrations in Cabo San Lucas, Mexico
  • The star wore a series of bridal-inspired white outfits, from pearl minidresses to crochet cover-ups
  • Blanco marked his bachelor party in Las Vegas with friends and fine dining
  • The couple, engaged since December 2024, are expected to tie the knot this autumn

Selena Gomez has given fans a behind-the-scenes look at her bachelorette party in Cabo San Lucas, where she gathered her closest friends for a sun-soaked celebration ahead of her upcoming wedding to music producer Benny Blanco. The 33-year-old singer, who announced her engagement in December 2024, posted a carousel of photos and videos on Instagram that captured the group’s seaside getaway, featuring themed decorations, yacht rides, and candlelit dinners.

Selena Gomez bachelorette Selena Gomez poses in Cabo wearing a pearl-embellished minidress during her bachelorette celebrations. Instagram/selenagomez

Keep ReadingShow less