Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Student accused of cheating on English language test is "desperate" to prove her innocence

FOREIGN students who have been accused by the Home Office of cheating on English tests have detailed how they have had to put their lives on hold, unable to work in the UK or use the NHS.

About 36,000 student visas have been cancelled since 2014.


Fatema Chowdhury is one student whose life has been left in a limbo for years due to the cheating scandal. She came to the UK from Bangladesh in 2010 and finished her law degree in 2014 at the University of London.

She told the BBC's Victoria Derbyshire programme she was at one stage detained for a week after being accused of cheating in the English test, which Chowdhury denies.

Although she has not been told to leave the UK, she cannot work in the country or use the NHS for free.

"During my delivery last year they charged me £14,000 just to have a baby," she explained.

Saying her dreams and hopes were now gone, Chowdhury said she was "desperate" to speak to someone at the Home Office to "prove my innocence."

The government, meanwhile, said the home secretary has "listened to the points raised... and has asked for further advice".

Labour MP Stephen Timms has termed the treatment of the students a "disgrace."

The MP for East Ham told Victoria Derbyshire: "They trusted Britain to provide them with a decent education. Instead, they've been falsely accused of cheating and been given no chance to appeal.

"They've been left in limbo for years."

He said the Home Office should now allow students to take a "reliable" English test.

"If they fail, fine. But if they pass, they should be given a visa back in order that they can complete their studies."

More For You

New Delhi rickshaws get a Trump makeover for America's 250th birthday

A worker fixes a poster featuring US President Donald Trump on an autorickshaw in New Delhi on May 21, 2026 marking the 250th anniversary of American independence.

(Photo by Arun SANKAR / AFP via Getty Images)

New Delhi rickshaws get a Trump makeover for America's 250th birthday

Highlights

  • The US embassy is sponsoring thousands of rickshaw covers bearing Trump's face and the US flag
  • Fitters are offering drivers free tea, and sometimes pickles, to accept the covers
  • Some drivers refused outright, with one saying: "Trump has ruined everything"
  • Secretary of state Marco Rubio arrives in India on Saturday (23) for a four-city tour

NEW DELHI's iconic auto-rickshaws have received a Donald Trump-themed makeover to mark the United States' 250th Independence celebrations and the upcoming India visit of secretary of state Marco Rubio, but not everyone is a fan.

Keep ReadingShow less