Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Sir Philip Barton is new envoy to India

THE UK government on Thursday (February 6) announced career diplomat Sir Philip Barton as the new British high commissioner to India.

Barton, 56, who had been private secretary to former prime ministers John Major and Tony Blair, was the British high commissioner to Pakistan from 2014 to 2016.


Barton currently is the director general of Consular and Security at the UK Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO), and was the acting chair of the Joint Intelligence Committee at the UK Cabinet Office. He has served as additional director for South Asia at the FCO.

Barton would take charge in New Delhi in the coming weeks of spring. His first stint in India was in 1994, when he was posted as a first secretary at the embassy.

Barton has worked in the Cabinet Office as director of foreign policy, and was Afghanistan-Pakistan coordinator in the National Security Council.

The diplomat was recently on secondment to the International Institute for Strategic Studies (IISS) as a consulting senior fellow focusing on South Asian issues.

An alumnus of the University of Warwick and the London School of Economics, Barton studied politics and economics before joining the FCO in 1986.

More For You

London-tube-Getty

Members of the public outside Whitechapel Underground Station on February 12, 2025 in London. (Photo: Getty Images)

Getty Images

London Tube staff to hold seven-day strike in September

LONDON Underground staff will stage a series of rolling strikes for seven days next month in a dispute over pay and working conditions, the RMT union said on Thursday.

The walkouts will begin on September 5 and involve different groups of staff taking action at different times. The dispute covers pay, shift patterns, fatigue management and plans for a shorter working week, according to the RMT.

Keep ReadingShow less
US says 55 million legal visas under 'continuous review'

US president Donald Trump (L) and Secretary of State Marco Rubio in the Oval Office of the White House on July 16, 2025, in Washington, D.C. (Photo by Anna Moneymaker/Getty Images)

US says 55 million legal visas under 'continuous review'

LEGAL migrants in the US who hold visas to live and work in the country are subject to continuous review, especially students, the State Department cautioned on Thursday (21).

There are 55 million foreigners with valid documents to live in the US.

Keep ReadingShow less
UK-protests-Getty

Protesters from the group Save Our Future & Our Kids Future demonstrate against uncontrolled immigration outside the Cladhan Hotel on August 16, 2025 in Falkirk, Scotland. (Photo: Getty Images)

Getty Images

Immigration: Labour will appeal ruling over aslyum seekers in hotels

MINISTERS will appeal a court decision earlier this week that barred the UK government from accommodating asylum seekers in a hotel, security minister Dan Jarvis said on Friday (22).

The high court on Tuesday (19) granted a temporary injunction to stop migrants from staying at the Bell Hotel in Epping, northeast of London, following several weeks of protests outside the hotel, some of them violent.

Keep ReadingShow less
UK student visas for Indians decline; detentions nearly double

The majority of Indian students came for postgraduate-level courses. (Photo: Getty Images)

UK student visas for Indians decline; detentions nearly double

INDIANS granted visas to study at UK universities continued to decline, according to the latest Home Office statistics released on Thursday (21). The majority of Indian students came for postgraduate-level courses, mainly Master’s degrees.

In the year ending June 2025, Indian students were issued 98,014 visas, placing them just behind Chinese students, who received 99,919. Both groups recorded a fall compared with the previous year, with Indian numbers down 11 per cent and Chinese numbers down seven per cent.

Keep ReadingShow less
Imran Khan

Khan, 72, in a social media post following the verdict, said the end of the 'night of oppression' in his country was near. (Photo: Getty Images)

Getty Images

Pakistan top court grants bail to Imran Khan in May 9 violence cases

PAKISTAN's Supreme Court on Thursday granted bail to former prime minister Imran Khan in eight cases linked to the May 9 violence.

The violence erupted on May 9, 2023, when Khan’s supporters engaged in vandalism and rioting after his detention by law enforcement in Islamabad. Multiple cases were registered against Khan and leaders of his Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI) party for their alleged involvement.

Keep ReadingShow less