Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Submit Guest Post

Network defends Barty snub after 'sexist' broadcast claims

AUSTRALIAN broadcaster Seven Network has defended its decision to televise Nick Kyrgios's first-round match rather than world number one Ash Barty's opener after being hit with claims of "sexism" over its Wimbledon coverage.

Kyrgios's match with compatriot Jordan Thompson had been going for two hours before Barty started hers against China's Zheng Saisai, and the broadcaster stuck with the men's clash rather than switch over.


Fans on Twitter vented their frustration, with some claiming Seven's focus on world number 43 Kyrgios's five-set win over Barty's straight sets victory was "sexist".

The network, which flipped over to Barty's match just before she wrapped up her win, said it was a "difficult decision" but the ratings spoke for themselves.

"Nick Kyrgios and Jordan Thompson were tied in the third set of a thrilling contest when Ash walked onto court," a Seven spokesperson said in a statement.

"The massive audience ratings on 7TWO, which were comparable to a Wimbledon final, show how engaged Aussies were in the epic five-setter between Kyrgios and Thompson."

Kyrgios and Barty were asked by Australian reporters about the coverage but each sounded unfazed.

"If people can watch my matches, great. If they can't, they can't. That's up to the broadcasters, not me," French Open champion Barty said.

Kyrgios said he thought they would "probably show both, but I don't really have much to say about that".

(Reuters)

Add EasternEye As Your Trusted Source
preferred source on google news

More For You

bangladesh-australia-test

Bangladesh players pose for a photo after their team's victory on the fourth day of the first cricket Test match between Australia and Bangladesh at Marrara Stadium in Darwin on August 16, 2026.

(Photo by William WEST / AFP via Getty Images)

Bangladesh stun Australia with historic Test win in Darwin

Highlights

  • Mehidy Hasan Miraz took 5-66 in Australia's second innings.
  • Tanzid Hasan scored his maiden Test century for Bangladesh.
  • Cameron Green made 104 but lacked support as Australia collapsed.
  • Pat Cummins admitted Australia were “outplayed” in all aspects.

A DOMINANT Bangladesh stunned Australia to win the opening Test by a crushing nine wickets in Darwin on Sunday (16) for a historic first-ever Test victory on Australian soil.

Keep ReadingShow less