Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

McCullum: England Test team not a finished product yet, need results overseas

The former New Zealand skipper hoped England can replicate the success at home in overseas conditions.

McCullum: England Test team not a finished product yet, need results overseas

His reign off to an excellent start, red-ball coach Brendon McCullum said England is not a “finished product” yet, adding that winning in all conditions should become a norm for the team.

Playing an ultra-aggressive brand of cricket, England has won all four Tests since the new head coach took over last month.


“We’re not a finished product first and foremost,” McCullum told ‘SENZ Breakfast’.

“We’re a month into it and we’ve had some great results and we’ve seen the cricketing world put them on notice a little bit, but we need to ensure that this becomes a norm for us.

“That this style of play and what we’re trying to achieve is completely authentic to us in any given situation and that will be the real challenge,” he added.

England, which endured a dismal run over the last 18 months, looked a completely transformed outfit in the 3-0 series win over New Zealand and the record chase in the rescheduled fifth Test against India.

The former New Zealand skipper hoped England can replicate the success at home in overseas conditions.

“Obviously conditions around the world will mean that we’ll have to be relatively adaptable as well but look, I think that’s one of the beauties of this group. I think there were times throughout the two series that we’ve played where we’ve had to absorb pressure as well.

“Much has been made of the destruction that we were able to operate with the ball in hand particularly and our hunt for wickets with the ball, but there are times where we had to absorb pressure.

“When that was needed, the guys really did it, which was really satisfying too.

“It’s early days but it’s certainly a nice changing room to be around; a wonderful group of guys and clearly an immense amount of talent and ability within the dressing room and really well led by the skipper in Ben Stokes too.” The England Test team will next take on South Africa in a three-match red-ball series at home next month.

(PTI)

More For You

Indians among victims as tourist bus overturns near New York

Police confirmed that many of the passengers were foreign nationals, including citizens of India, China, the Philippines

Indians among victims as tourist bus overturns near New York

A TOURIST bus travelling from Niagara Falls to New York city overturned on a highway near Buffalo on Friday (22), killing five people and injuring dozens of others. Police confirmed that many of the passengers were foreign nationals, including citizens of India, China, the Philippines and Middle Eastern countries.

The crash took place at about 12.30pm local time on the New York state Thruway near the town of Pembroke, around 40 kilometres east of Buffalo. The bus, which was carrying 54 passengers, rolled into a ditch after the driver lost control.

Keep ReadingShow less
Ciara Watkin sexual assault case

Ciara Watkin did not disclose her gender status

Instagram/ Terry Blackburn

UK trans woman Ciara Watkin guilty of sexual assault after failing to reveal transgender status

Highlights:

  • A 21-year-old transgender woman has been convicted of sexual assault in northeast England.
  • Ciara Watkin did not disclose her gender status before engaging in sexual activity with a male partner.
  • The Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) said the man could not give informed consent.
  • Watkin was found guilty on three charges at Teesside Crown Court.
  • Sentencing is scheduled for 10 October.

A transgender woman has been convicted of sexually assaulting a male partner after failing to disclose her gender status before sexual activity. Prosecutors argued that the man could not give informed consent, and the case has been described as having a significant impact on his mental wellbeing.

The case

Ciara Watkin, 21, from Stockton-on-Tees, met the man, also 21, on Snapchat in June 2022. She later engaged in sexual activity with him without revealing her gender status. During their first encounter, she told him she was on her period and could not be touched below the waist.

Keep ReadingShow less
Niagara Falls

Authorities said most of the 52 passengers were from India, China and the Philippines

Getty Images

Horror crash near Niagara Falls leaves 5 dead, dozens injured

Highlights:

  • A tourist bus returning from Niagara Falls overturned on a motorway in western New York.
  • Five people died and dozens were injured; passengers were mainly from India, China and the Philippines.
  • Authorities ruled out mechanical failure and driver impairment as causes.
  • Survivors included children, with patients taken to multiple hospitals.
  • Emergency blood donations and family support centres have been set up.

Five people have been killed after a tourist bus carrying passengers from Niagara Falls overturned on a motorway in western New York. Authorities said most of the 52 passengers were from India, China and the Philippines, with several children among them.

The crash

The vehicle lost control around 40 miles (64km) from Niagara Falls, near Pembroke, 30 miles (48km) east of Buffalo. Police said the bus veered into the median before landing in a ditch. Some passengers were thrown from the vehicle while others were trapped inside the wreckage for several hours.

Keep ReadingShow less
Trump names close aide Sergio Gor as ambassador to India

Sergio Gor. (Photo by Paul Morigi/Getty Images)

Trump names close aide Sergio Gor as ambassador to India

US president Donald Trump said on Friday (22) he would nominate Sergio Gor, one of his closest aides, to be the next US ambassador to India, where he will oversee frosty relations that have worsened with the planned doubling of US tariffs on goods from India next week.

Gor, who is currently the director of the White House Presidential Personnel Office, would also serve as a special envoy for South and Central Asian affairs, Trump said.

Keep ReadingShow less
London-tube-Getty

Members of the public outside Whitechapel Underground Station on February 12, 2025 in London. (Photo: Getty Images)

Getty Images

London Tube staff to hold seven-day strike in September

LONDON Underground staff will stage a series of rolling strikes for seven days next month in a dispute over pay and working conditions, the RMT union said on Thursday.

The walkouts will begin on September 5 and involve different groups of staff taking action at different times. The dispute covers pay, shift patterns, fatigue management and plans for a shorter working week, according to the RMT.

Keep ReadingShow less