Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

London's transport system gets fund to operate until March 2021

London's transport system has secured a bailout from the government worth nearly £2 billion, following weeks of politically-charged wrangling as the coronavirus continues to decimate revenues.

Transport for London (TfL), which runs the British capital's public transport network, said the deal worth £1.8 billion would enable it to keep operating services until the end of March 2021.


It comes as England enters a second national lockdown for four weeks, with people ordered to stay at home except in cases where exemptions apply, such as for work, education or exercise.

Pubs and restaurants will shut unless serving takeaway food, while all leisure and entertainment venues and non-essential shops will close.

TfL said the exact amount of money it will get from the ruling Conservative government would be subject to passenger revenue in the coming months.

London mayor Sadiq Khan, from the opposition Labour party, had for weeks been opposing raising fares and making other changes in exchange for the funding boost.

He said it was not "a perfect deal" but that he had succeeded in "killing off the very worst government proposals".

Transport secretary Grant Shapps described the agreement as "fair to taxpayers across the country".

Last month prime minister Boris Johnson claimed TfL was "effectively bankrupted" before the coronavirus pandemic, and proposals to hike charges were "entirely the responsibility" of Khan.

The government pumped £1.6bn into the system in May to restore services and help prevent overcrowding as people returned to work when the first national shutdown was eased.

More For You

x-racism-uk

A protester holds a placard during a march against the far right, organised by the Together Alliance, in central London on March 28, 2026.

(Photo by JUSTIN TALLIS / AFP via Getty Images)

X 'fails to remove abuse' targeting British Asian MPs and journalists

Highlights

  • X leaves 33 racist posts online for 72 hours despite Ofcom pledge
  • Racist abuse targeting Shabana Mahmood, Humza Yousaf and Mehdi Hasan left on X for days
  • Activists demand Ofcom act after X ignores its own 48-hour hate speech rule

CAMPAIGNERS and activists have urged the social media platform X and regulator Ofcom to act urgently after dozens of posts containing racist abuse directed at British Asian politicians and public figures remained online for more than 72 hours, despite a commitment to remove flagged content within 48 hours.

Keep ReadingShow less