Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Lancashire: Tories retain control at County Hall

Lancashire: Tories retain control at County Hall

By Paul Faulkner

THE deputy Conservative leader of Lancashire County Council has thanked residents for “putting their trust” in the party after the Tories retained control at County Hall.


Just after midday, the Conservatives reached the 43-seat threshold needed to hand them a majority, keeping them in power for another four years.

County Cllr Keith Iddon said he believed the party had secured victory because it had delivered on the promises it made at the last county vote in 2017.

“We turned the county council around from having a £200m deficit. We put all the services back and now the residents have chosen us to lead them on into the future – and we won’t let you down.

“The priority now is to get us out of the Covid pandemic as best we can – we have put millions into a recovery fund and are tapping into the government’s [financial] pipeline as well.

“I want to get Lancashire moving again and keep investing in all the things we do and keep building it up, better and stronger.

“We also need to continue with the good work we have done in putting the [council’s] services in order. But we have to keep our eye on the money and our fiscal responsibilities – and as long as we do that, and I will, then we’ll be fine,” said County Cllr Iddon.

Keith Iddon Cllr Keith Iddon

He was speaking moments after the deadline had passed for nominations to be the next leader of the Tory group – and, in the wake of the election result, the next leader of the county council. The position is vacant after Geoff Driver – who has led the authority for the eight out of the last 12 years decided to step down at this election.

County Cllr Iddon has submitted his nomination papers for the top job in the party, which will be determined in a secret ballot of Tory group members. It is not yet known whether he will have any challengers for the post.

Meanwhile, Labour opposition group leader Azhar Ali said the wider political backdrop had prevented the party in Lancashire from capturing the county council.

“There is a national Tory bounce on the back of the vaccination rollout, despite almost 130,000 people having died – and it’s very difficult to swim against a tide that was in favour of the Conservatives in these elections.

“But I’m really proud that, so far, we have retained most of our seats – we have won some seats in Rossendale and Chorley, but have also lost some long-serving councillors, which is disappointing,

“Generally we held out our vote and if the election had been a few months earlier or later, it could have been a different result – but the national Conservative bounce has taken them over the line.

“Whoever the leader of the council is, we will try and be a constructive opposition – but we will hold them to account,” County Cllr Ali warned.

(Local Democracy Reporting Service)

More For You

wasim bashir

Bashir retired from the force while under investigation but will still face misconduct proceedings. (Photo credit: West Yorkshire Police)

West Yorkshire Police

Former West Yorkshire Police officer jailed for misconduct

A FORMER West Yorkshire Police officer has been sentenced to two years and three months in prison after being convicted of misconduct in a public office.

Wasim Bashir, 55, who worked as a detective constable in Bradford District, was found guilty of one count of misconduct in a public office for forming a sexual relationship with a female victim of crime. He was sentenced at Sheffield Crown Court on Friday, 29 August.

Keep ReadingShow less
Epping protests

Protesters calling for the closure of The Bell Hotel, which was housing asylum seekers, gather outside the council offices in Epping on August 8, 2025. (Photo: Getty Images)

Getty Images

Over a dozen councils plan legal action despite Home Office court win

Highlights:

  • Court of Appeal has overturned injunction blocking use of Epping hotel for asylum seekers.
  • Judges say human rights obligations outweigh local safety concerns.
  • At least 13 councils preparing legal action despite ruling.
  • Protests outside the Bell Hotel lead to arrests and police injuries.

MORE than a dozen councils are moving ahead with legal challenges against the use of hotels for asylum seekers despite the Home Office winning an appeal in the Court of Appeal.

Keep ReadingShow less
India-Canada-iStock

India and Canada have appointed new envoys in a step to restore diplomatic ties strained since 2023. (Representational image: iStock)

iStock

Envoys appointed as India, Canada move to restore diplomatic ties

INDIA and Canada on Thursday announced the appointment of new envoys to each other’s capitals, in a step aimed at restoring strained ties following the killing of a Sikh separatist in 2023.

India has named senior diplomat Dinesh K Patnaik as the next high commissioner to Ottawa, while Canada appointed Christopher Cooter as its new envoy to New Delhi.

Keep ReadingShow less
Rajitha Senaratne arrested

Security officers escort Sri Lankan former fisheries minister, Rajitha Senaratne (C), outside a court in Colombo on August 29, 2025. (Photo by ISHARA S. KODIKARA/AFP via Getty Images)

Getty Images

Rajitha Senaratne detained as Sri Lanka intensifies anti-corruption drive

SRI LANKAN former government minister surrendered himself to a court on Friday (29) after two months on the run, the latest high profile detention in a sweeping anti-corruption crackdown.

Anti-graft units have ramped up their investigations since president Anura Kumara Dissanayake came to power in September on a promise to fight corruption.

Keep ReadingShow less
protests-uk-getty
Protesters from the group Save Our Future & Our Kids Future demonstrate against uncontrolled immigration outside the Cladhan Hotel on August 16, 2025 in Falkirk, Scotland. (Photo: Getty Images)
Getty Images

Government wins appeal over housing asylum seekers in hotel

Highlights:

  • UK appeals court overturns ruling blocking hotel use for asylum seekers
  • Judges call earlier High Court decision “seriously flawed”
  • 138 asylum seekers will not need to be relocated by September 12
  • Full hearing scheduled at the Court of Appeal in October

A UK appeals court has overturned a lower court order that had temporarily blocked the use of a hotel in Epping, northeast of London, to house asylum seekers.

Keep ReadingShow less