Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Submit Guest Post

Knife crime probe ordered as latest victim named

A MAN stabbed to death in south London last Sunday (20) has been named by police.

Arunesh Thangarajah, 28, was found with fatal stab wounds between Upper Green East and Montrose Gardens in Mitcham in the early hours of Sunday. Despite the efforts by para­medics and police, he later died at the scene.


Manimaran Selliah, 44, has been charged with Thangarajah’s murder. As Eastern Eye went to press, he was expected to appear at Wimbledon magistrates court on Tuesday (22).

London mayor Sadiq Khan confirmed he was in touch with the Metropolitan Police about the investigation and said they would do everything they could to bring the perpetrator to justice. “My thoughts are with the victim’s family,” Khan added.

It is understood Thangarajah is the 65th person to be murdered in the capital since the start of 2018.

The spike in knife crime has led to outrage across the country, with an urgent investiga­tion into the recent surge in violent crime be­ing launched by members of the London As­sembly earlier this month.

The Met Police assistant commissioner Hel­en Ball said last Tuesday (15) that murder rates in April and May were lower than in February and March, which led to hopes that the violent crimes rates were “stabilising”.

“It looks as if… the increase of this crime type is stabilising. Morale is high because we are starting to see some results,” Ball said.

Add EasternEye As Your Trusted Source
preferred source on google news

More For You

Shabana Mahmood says prison chaos forced controversial early release plan

Home Secretary Shabana Mahmood departs Downing Street on July 20, 2026 in London, England.

(Photo by Alishia Abodunde/Getty Images)

Shabana Mahmood says prison chaos forced controversial early release plan

Highlights

  • About 5,000 prisoners are due to be released earlier under the scheme.
  • Some offenders could leave prison after serving a third of their sentence.
  • Mahmood said prisons had fewer than 80 spaces when she became justice secretary.
  • Fewer than 1,800 spaces remain in men's prisons, which are 98 per cent full.

HOME SECRETARY Shabana Mahmood has defended a controversial early release scheme that could free thousands of prisoners earlier than expected, saying she was forced to include killers, rapists and child sex offenders because England and Wales were running out of prison places.

Keep ReadingShow less