Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Judges block Trump administration from deporting Indian student

Judges block Trump administration from deporting Indian student

Krish Lal Isserdasani was just weeks away from completing his degree. (Photo for representation: iStock)

A FEDERAL judge has temporarily blocked the Donald Trump administration from deporting a 21-year-old Indian undergraduate student whose visa was suddenly cancelled.

Krish Lal Isserdasani, who has been studying computer engineering at the University of Wisconsin-Madison since 2021, was just weeks away from completing his degree when he discovered his student visa had been terminated without warning.


District judge William Conley granted a temporary restraining order preventing immigration authorities from enforcing the visa termination or detaining Isserdasani, with a preliminary injunction hearing scheduled for April 28.

The case emerges amid a wider crackdown on international students, with approximately 1,300 students nationwide having their records abruptly terminated in the Student and Exchange Visitor System (SEVIS).

Madison Attorney Shabnam Lotfi described the order as "one of the first national victories for international student visa holders" affected by these sudden terminations.

Court documents revealed that Isserdasani's visa problems stemmed from a November 2024 arrest following a verbal argument while walking home from a bar. Although the district attorney declined to pursue charges, his student visa was cancelled without notice on April 4.

"He was given no warning, no opportunity to explain or defend himself, and no chance to correct any potential misunderstanding before his F-1 student visa record was terminated," court papers revealed.

Isserdasani and his family have reportedly invested approximately $240,000 (£188,000) in his US education, and he stands to lose $17,500 (£13,700) in tuition for his final semester if unable to graduate as planned on May 10.

In a separate but related case, another Indian student, Chinmay Deore from Wayne State University, has joined students from China and Nepal in filing a lawsuit against Homeland Security and immigration officials. They allege their immigration status was "illegally terminated" without explanation.

The lawsuit, filed by the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) in Michigan, seeks to reinstate their legal status. The students claim they neither violated immigration laws nor participated in campus protests.

ACLU of Michigan executive director Loren Khogali criticised the administration's approach: "The aim of this administration is to sow chaos and fear by attacking some people to terrorise us all. They are now coming for international students who provide critical perspectives and contributions to our academic communities."

The crackdown appears to target students with minor legal infractions, including traffic violations, as well as those allegedly involved in campus activism. Many students have reportedly received emails instructing them to "self-deport" despite having valid student visas.

Trump recently said he wants to provide money and flight tickets to immigrants who "self-deport," signalling a continuing hardline stance on immigration during his presidency.

(PTI)

More For You

pashupatinath temple nepal

A general view of the Pashupatinath temple complex in Kathmandu on August 27, 2025.

Getty Images

Nepal court allows unclothed Hindu ascetics to enter Pashupatinath temple

NEPAL’s Supreme Court has ruled that Hindu holy men who follow the tradition of remaining unclothed cannot be barred from entering the Pashupatinath temple. The court said that nudity, when practised as a religious custom, is not the same as obscenity.

The ruling concerns the Naga sadhus, ascetics devoted to Lord Shiva who renounce family ties and worldly possessions, including clothing. Covered in ash and wearing dreadlocks, they are a familiar sight at the temple during major festivals.

Keep ReadingShow less
house rent

Currently, rental income is exempt from national insurance, which is charged at 8 per cent on employee earnings.

iStock

UK landlords could face new tax in autumn budget

THE TREASURY is considering extending national insurance to rental income in the autumn budget, a move that could raise about £2bn.

Currently, rental income is exempt from national insurance, which is charged at 8 per cent on employee earnings.

Keep ReadingShow less
 Lord Swraj Paul

Lord Paul's portrait inside the West Chapel

Eulogies offered at Lord Swraj Paul’s funeral

FAMILY and friends offered their final eulogies to Lord Swraj Paul at his funeral at Golders Green Crematorium in north London on Wednesday (27).

It had rained earlier in the morning, but by the time mourners emerged from the West Chapel after a simple and dignified 40-minute service, led by Dr MN Nandakumara, executive director of the Bhavan in West Kensington, the sun had come out.

Keep ReadingShow less
Royal Mail

Company describes as the most significant redesign in its 175-year history

Getty Images

3,500 solar-powered postboxes set to transform Royal Mail across the UK

Highlights:

  • Royal Mail is rolling out 3,500 redesigned solar-powered postboxes.
  • The upgrade allows customers to post small parcels via a digital drawer.
  • The move marks the biggest redesign in the company’s 175-year history.
  • Rollout begins in Edinburgh, Nottingham, Sheffield and Manchester after successful pilots.

Royal Mail launches major redesign

Royal Mail is set to introduce 3,500 solar-powered postboxes across the UK, in what the company describes as the most significant redesign in its 175-year history. The new-look boxes, fitted with solar panels and digital technology, are designed to accommodate small parcels as well as letters.

How the new postboxes work

The redesigned boxes feature solar panels on top, aligned southwards for maximum sunlight. A barcode scanner beneath the slot activates a drop-down drawer, which can fit parcels up to the size of a shoebox. Customers will be able to access the service via the Royal Mail app, request proof of posting and track their parcels.

Keep ReadingShow less
Keir-Starmer-Getty

Pandit is the third senior Starmer aide to leave after chief of staff Sue Gray in October and director of communications Matthew Doyle in March..(Photo: Getty Images)

Getty Images

Starmer to replace top aide Nin Pandit after 10 months

PRIME MINISTER Keir Starmer is set to replace his principal private secretary Nin Pandit, who has held the role for ten months.

Pandit is the third senior aide to leave after chief of staff Sue Gray in October and director of communications Matthew Doyle in March.

Keep ReadingShow less