Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Javid orders review on how much migrants must earn to come to the UK after Brexit

BRITISH home secretary Sajid Javid yesterday (24) asked the Migration Advisory Committee to review on salary thresholds for the future immigration system, which will start to take effect from 2021.

Javid has asked the committee whether an existing threshold of £30,000 for experienced workers is still appropriate.


Javid said: “It’s vital the new immigration system continues to attract talented people to grow our economy and support business while controlling our borders.

“These proposals are the biggest change to our immigration system in a generation, so it’s right that we consider all of the evidence before finalising them.

“That’s why I’ve asked independent experts to review the evidence on salary thresholds. It’s crucial the new immigration system works in the best interests of the whole of the UK.”

The new immigration system will mark the end of free movement and introduce a new route for skilled workers which favours experience and talent over nationality.

Last month, environment secretary Michael Gove called on the home secretary to bring in flexible immigration rules for skilled workers after Brexit so as to avoid vacancies in certain industries.

Criticising the £30,000 salary threshold for immigrant workers, Gove said measuring whether someone was qualified as skilled by their salary was not appropriate for all industries.

Javid has asked the migration advisory committee to consider how future salary thresholds should be calculated; the levels of salary thresholds; whether there is a case for regional salary thresholds for different parts of the UK, and whether there should be exceptions to salary thresholds, for example because workers have newly started the occupation or because they work in an occupation in shortage.

The committee is expected to present its findings in January 2020.

More For You

tulsi-gabbard-trump

Director of National Intelligence Tulsi Gabbard testifies during a House Select Intelligence Committee hearing on March 19, 2026 in Washington, DC. The hearing was held to assess worldwide threats in 2026.

(Photo by Heather Diehl/Getty Images)

Tulsi Gabbard seeks criminal probe into officials behind Trump's impeachment

  • Gabbard has referred the Trump impeachment whistleblower and former intelligence watchdog Michael Atkinson to the Justice Department for criminal investigation
  • The released documents identify no specific crimes, and Gabbard admits she is "leaving it up to the lawyers" to determine what laws were broken
  • The top Democrat on the House Intelligence Committee warns the move will "chill future whistleblowers"

THE director of National Intelligence in the US, Tulsi Gabbard, has sent criminal referrals to the Justice Department seeking investigations into the whistleblower whose complaint led to president Donald Trump's first impeachment in 2019, as well as the former intelligence community watchdog who handled the case.

The referrals, confirmed by a spokesperson for the Office of the Director of National Intelligence (ODNI) and first reported by Fox News, target the still-anonymous whistleblower who raised concerns about Trump's July 2019 phone call with Ukrainian president Volodymyr Zelensky.

Keep ReadingShow less