Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

IPL 2023: Kohli says Bangalore were not 'professional enough' against Kolkata

Royal Challengers Bangalore next face Lucknow Super Giants on Sunday (30).

IPL 2023: Kohli says Bangalore were not 'professional enough' against Kolkata

Royal Challengers Bangalore stand-in skipper Virat Kohli delivered a blunt assessment of their performance in Wednesday's (26) Indian Premier League (IPL) match against Kolkata Knight Riders, saying they were not "professional enough" and deserved to lose.

Bangalore, one of three teams who have never won the IPL title, slumped to their fourth defeat in eight matches with their 21-run loss at Kolkata's Eden Gardens.


After opener Jason Roy smashed 56 and skipper Nitish Rana, who was dropped twice, hammered 48 off 21 balls to power Kolkata to 200-5, Kohli (54) led the Bangalore reply with his fifth fifty of the season.

While their chase was derailed by a slew of soft dismissals, Kohli said it was their sloppiness in the field that gifted the opposition victory.

"To be honest, we handed over the game," a visibly upset Kohli said afterwards.

"We deserved to lose because we weren't professional enough in the field.

"I thought the bowlers hit decent areas, but we didn't hold on to our chances. That's what you call a freebie in T20 cricket and we literally handed them a victory."

Bangalore had been cruising at 51-1 in the fifth over but could not capitalise on the start and eventually finished on 179-8.

"With the bat, I thought we set ourselves up really well," said Kohli, who has taken the captaincy with Faf du Plessis limited to batting duties because of a rib injury.

"And then so many soft dismissals ... those were not really wicket-taking balls but we ended up hitting to the fielder four-five times in the innings.

"These are some of the soft plays in cricket which you want to avoid as a team."

(Reuters)

More For You

‘Collective civic efforts can help unite kingdom’

The Unite the Kingdom rally, organised by Tommy Robinson, at Parliament Square, London, last Saturday

Getty Images

‘Collective civic efforts can help unite kingdom’

TOMMY ROBINSON has always seemed an unlikely candidate to try to “unite the Kingdom”. Yet the former football hooligan turned street movement activist, and former leader of the English Defence League created shockwaves by bringing 120,000 people out on the streets last September.

Last Saturday’s (16) follow-up was billed as being more than twice as big – yet shrank to half the size, instead. Robinson said it was a crowd of “millions” and perhaps “the largest event in history” – but the police’s more sober estimate was that around 60,000 people took part, so that much of the larger space allocated to it – from Parliament Square all the way down Whitehall to Trafalgar Square – remained unoccupied.

Keep ReadingShow less