Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Indian-origin Activist Gina Miller Starts New Anti-Brexit Drive

AN Indian-origin campaigner and business owner who mounted a successful legal challenge to prevent British prime minister Theresa May triggering Brexit without parliament's approval launched a "Lead Not Leave" initiative today (28) as the March 29 deadline for the UK's exit from the European Union nears.          

Gina Miller has joined hands with two peers in the House of Lords - Lord Saatchi and Baroness Kennedy - to call for the UK to remain in the EU and lead inter-governmental discussions on restructuring the 28-member economic bloc.    


"No one could have foreseen the political chaos which is paralysing our nation. It is deeply worrying that we are now facing the impending prospect of a 'No Deal', with the serious harm that this would inflict – particularly, on the most vulnerable in our society," said Miller, born Gina Nadira Singh in British Guiana (now Guyana) to Guyana's former Attorney-General Doodnauth Singh.       

"It is time to take a step back from the brink, to think differently to end the divisions, to bring closure and get back the United Kingdom that used to make us all so proud. Our call today is about common sense for our common good," she added.    

The latest intervention by the 53-year-old investment fund manager, who became the face of the legal battle over parliamentary supremacy in the aftermath of Britain's vote in favour of leaving the EU in June 2016, came as the British government struggles to achieve a consensus around a fresh Brexit deal for MPs to vote on.    

The Withdrawal Agreement struck by May with the EU was last week overwhelmingly rejected by parliament , opening up the prospect of a chaotic no-deal exit of the UK from the EU on March 29.         

"One thing we can all agree upon is that we cannot go on like this: we have to begin the process of healing for all our sakes," Miller said, adding that the 'Lead Not Leave' initiative is in line with the concerns of Leave voters in the 2016 Referendum of renegotiating the existing relationship with the EU.        

Described as a new cross-party initiative designed to harness the growing momentum for overdue and wide-ranging EU reform, the 'Lead Not Leave' campaign believes that rather than leaving the EU, the UK should be leading inter-governmental discussions on restructuring the EU, beginning with its own membership terms.    

The initiative was set to launch with Lord Saatchi today (28) introducing the EU Membership Act 2019, a Private Member's Bill, in the Lords calling on the UK government to immediately begin to negotiate terms with the EU to retain its existing membership, including stronger voting rights for the UK and more robust immigration controls.     

"There is a much better alternative to leaving, don't leave, lead through a Remain Plus. We need a redistribution of power in Europe," said Lord Saatchi, a leading businessman. "That's why I am today introducing the EU Membership Bill in the House of Lords to give Parliament and the people something we actually want…The prospect of a no deal Brexit or facing years of complex negotiations versus a solution that is a win-win is likely to be very attractive to both EU member states and the British people," he said.    

The group is calling for the reopening of a so-called Tusk Reform Package, initially presented in February 2016 by European Council President Donald Tusk to secure stronger voting rights for the UK in the council of ministers and more robust immigration controls.

"It is deeply disturbing to see the divisions in society and the deepening crisis. Now is the time for our Parliament to consider a fresh approach, listen to all sides of the debate and work together for our greater good," said Baroness Kennedy, a leading British barrister.

The new drive comes against the backdrop of ongoing divisions among British ministers over the controversial Irish backstop to avoid a hard border between the UK and Ireland, which critics fear would keep Britain tied to EU rules even after Brexit.        

On Tuesday (29), MPs are set to vote on a series of amendments to May's plans that could shape the future direction of Brexit.       

After her deal was rejected in the House of Commons on January 15 by 432 votes to 202, Opposition and backbench MPs have been tabling amendments to the plans. These will determine the future course of Brexit, with the prospect of an agreement acceptable to all sides of the political divide looking extremely precarious.

More For You

Asda tech overhaul

Asda sales fell 0.2 per cent in the three months to June 30, 2025 (AFP via Getty Images)

AFP via Getty Images

Asda boss hails tech overhaul as key to revival despite sales slump

THE chairman of Asda has admitted the supermarket chain still faces challenges after sales slipped again over the summer, but said the completion of a major IT overhaul was crucial for its recovery.

Allan Leighton told the Times that the long-delayed technology project, called Project Future, had finally been finished after years of setbacks and costs exceeding £1 billion. The work involved separating more than 2,500 systems inherited from former owner Walmart, following Asda’s 2021 takeover by TDR Capital.

Keep ReadingShow less
JLR-Getty

A logo is pictured outside a Jaguar Land Rover new car show room in Tonbridge, south east England. (Photo: Getty Images)

Getty Images

UK car exports to US rebound after trade deal

UK VEHICLE exports to the United States rose in July after a new trade deal between London and Washington reduced tariffs, industry data showed on Thursday.

According to the Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders (SMMT), exports increased 6.8 per cent in July to nearly 10,000 units, following three consecutive months of decline.

Keep ReadingShow less
Relatives of jailed Briton appeal to UK minister in AgustaWestland row

Christian Michel

Relatives of jailed Briton appeal to UK minister in AgustaWestland row

THE family of Christian Michel, the British businessman accused of acting as a middleman in the AgustaWestland VVIP helicopter deal, has appealed to the UK government to push for his release from Delhi’s Tihar Jail.

Michel’s relatives met Foreign Office minister Catherine West in London on Tuesday (26). The Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office (FCDO) said the minister listened to their concerns and updated them on ongoing steps being taken.

Keep ReadingShow less
Blackburn loses Issa empire as brothers move EG Group to US

Zuber and Mohsin Issa (Photo: LDRS)

Blackburn loses Issa empire as brothers move EG Group to US

ASIAN entrepreneurs Mohsin and Zuber Issa are moving the headquarters of their global forecourt company, EG Group, from Blackburn to the US in preparation for a major stock market listing in New York.

The firm confirmed that its main office will relocate to Charlotte, North Carolina, while a new base in Bolton, Greater Manchester, will handle its remaining UK operations, the Telegraph reported. The change brings an end to almost 25 years of the company being run from Blackburn.

Keep ReadingShow less
Migrant hotel workers call off strike after reaching agreement

Workers at Radisson Blu hotel in Canary Wharf

Migrant hotel workers call off strike after reaching agreement

WORKERS at the Radisson Blu hotel in Canary Wharf have cancelled a planned six-week strike after reaching an agreement that met all their demands.

The group of housekeepers, most of whom are migrant women from Nepal and members of the United Voices of the World (UVW) union, were due to begin industrial action on Sunday (31). It would have been the longest hotel strike in the UK since 1979, a statement said.

Keep ReadingShow less