Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

India celebrates end to Nipah outbreak with a music video

Artists from the India's southern state of Kerala has brought out a music video to celebrate the end to Nipah outbreak, which claimed 17 lives.
The video was shot over a span of three days and all the artists featured in it provided their services for free, the video's director, who goes by the name Regilesh Star Voice, was quoted as saying by CNN.
"During the period of the Nipah virus, a majority of the local people were feeling lonely, and everybody was afraid. We made this music video dedicated to the public to show how proud we are of having tackled this crisis," he said.
On Sunday (1), the Kerala government declared Kozhikode and Malappuram districts as Nipah virus free, and it has been confirmed that fruit bats were the source of the deadly virus. Tests conducted by Indian Council of Medical Research confirmed fruit bats from Changaroth panchayath in Kerala's Kozhikide district were identified as the source of the outbreak, a report by Hindustan Times quoted Union Health Minister JP Nadda as saying.

The first round of tests conducted on bat samples in May tested negative for Nipah Virus, but a second round of tests have now confirmed the source, said the report.

A scientist with ICMR told HT: "The 21 bats trapped and tested were insectivores that do not carry the Nipah Virus; 55 bats trapped in the second round included fruit bats, which tested positive for the Nipah Virus."


More than 2,000 people were kept under observation when the virus struck in May. Most of the suspected cases were from Kozhikode and Malappuram.

More For You

Malaysian woman wins legal case against Cumbria hotel employer over discrimination

The tribunal found that Ong was the only member of staff required to show her passport before being paid her wages

iStock

Malaysian woman wins legal case against Cumbria hotel employer over discrimination

Highlights

  • Ong was made to work in conditions that triggered her asthma despite suffering from it since age five.
  • She was the only staff member required to show her passport to receive wages.
  • She was sacked after refusing to move accommodation, having never received any wages.
An Asian migrant working without a legal permit has won an employment tribunal case against a hotel in Cumbria.
Erin Ong, a Malaysian national who was in the UK on a visitor's visa, was managing the 32-room Fisherbeck Hotel in Ambleside when she faced a series of discriminatory treatment by her employer.
Despite her employment being described as "tainted by illegality," an employment judge ruled she was still entitled to claim compensation for discrimination.

Ong, who is well-educated and previously worked as a tax consultant at one of the big four accounting firms, was contacted by Zhiyong Zhou, director of Yatson & Co, which owned and ran the hotel.

She was offered the role of manager on a salary of £28,000 a year, with a promise that a work permit would follow after one month.

Keep ReadingShow less