Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Submit Guest Post

Hate preacher Anjem Choudary jailed in new isolation unit

Anjem Choudary, a notorious Islamist hate preacher jailed for propagating terror last year, has become one of the first extremists to be moved to Britain's new isolation jail unit.

Choudary, now 50, was jailed for five-and-a-half-years in September last year for urging Muslims to support the Islamic State. The judge in his ruling then said that the "calculating and dangerous" man should be locked up behind bars.


Among Choudary's followers was one of the five attackers who stormed a cafe in Bangladesh capital Dhaka in July last year and killed 22 people, including an Indian girl.

Also among his followers was IS fighter Siddhartha Dhar, whom the UK media dubbed Jihadi Sid. The British Hindu converted to Islam and now goes by the name Abu Rumaysah.

Choudary has become the first known Islamist to be moved to a "separation centre" at HMP Frankland, a high-security prison in County Durham, northeast England, The Sunday Times reported.

He was moved to the unit after he refused to stop preaching his extremist views despite being warned by prison authorities, the newspaper reported.

Frankland's separation centre is the first of three in high security units. The other two are Woodhill, in Milton Keynes, which is expected to open in September, and Full Sutton, in Yorkshire.

Ian Acheson, who conducted the UK governments review into prison extremism, said separating "subversive hate preachers from their audience is a necessary step to prevent the spread of Islamist extremism".

But he added: "The possibility of hope and change is important, not just as a moral abstraction but because it will keep staff and prisoners safer."

The Ministry of Justice has refused to officially identify prisoners in Frankland's separation centre.

Add EasternEye As Your Trusted Source
preferred source on google news

More For You

ArcelorMittal

A Russian missile strike has damaged ArcelorMittal’s steel plant in Kryvyi Rih, Ukraine.

ArcelorMittal (REUTERS/David W Cerny/File Photo)

Russia hits Lakshmi Mittal's Ukraine steel plant as missile strike kills two

  • Two people were killed and 13 injured after the strike on the plant.
  • Energy and blast furnace facilities were damaged in the attack.
  • The steelworks was previously hit by a Russian missile strike in 2022.

Russia’s missile war has hit one of Ukraine’s biggest industrial businesses, with ArcelorMittal Kryvyi Rih, the steel plant owned by Indian billionaire Lakshmi Mittal, partially halting production after an overnight strike.

Two people were killed and 13 employees and contractors were injured after the plant in Kryvyi Rih, central Ukraine, was hit by a Russian missile on the night of Sunday (16), according to the company.

Keep ReadingShow less