Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Hambantota move sparks China fears

COLOMBO: NO NEED TO FEAR NAVAL BASE RELOCATION

SRI LANKA is shifting a naval base to a port built and controlled by China, it said on Monday (2), a move that will strengthen security at a harbour that foreign powers fear China could use for mili­tary purposes.


The base, currently in the tourist district of Galle, will be moved 125 km (80 miles) east along Sri Lan­ka’s southern coast to Hambantota, nearer a main shipping route between Asia and Europe.

The $1.5 billion (£1.1bn) deepwater port is likely to play a major role in China’s “Belt and Road” initia­tive and is under a 99-year lease to China Merchants Port Holdings at a cost of $1.12bn (£851 million).

Sri Lanka owes China billions of dollars that for­mer president Mahinda Rajapakse’s government borrowed for major infrastructure projects, includ­ing the Hambantota port, which is located on the island’s southern tip.

But unable to pay back the debt, Sri Lanka agreed last year to give China a 70-per cent stake in the port on a 99-year lease.

Government and diplomatic sources said the US, India and Japan have raised concerns that China might use the port as a naval base.

The Sri Lankan government and the Chinese em­bassy in Colombo have denied that and the agree­ment for the port deal included a clause that it can­not be used for military purposes.

“Sri Lanka has already informed China that Ham­bantota port cannot be used for military purposes,” prime minister Ranil Wickremesinghe’s office said in a statement.

“Since the security of the port will be under the control of the Sri Lanka navy, there is no need to fear,” it added.

A naval unit has already been established in Ham­bantota and construction work for the base is under way, navy spokesman Dinesh Bandara said.

Chinese foreign ministry spokesman Lu Kang said in Beijing that the Hambantota port project was to help Sri Lanka achieve its aim of becoming a lo­gistics hub in the Indian Ocean, which was good for the country’s economic development and the region as a whole.

Sri Lanka president Maithripala Sirisena turned down a Chinese request in May last year for a subma­rine call at Colombo soon after Indian prime minis­ter Narendra Modi visited the island. (AFP, Reuters)

More For You

ChatGPT

Matt and Maria Raine filed the case in the Superior Court of California on Tuesday

iStock

'ChatGPT encouraged him to take his life': Parents of Adam Raine sue OpenAI

Highlights:

  • Matt and Maria Raine have filed a lawsuit against OpenAI following the death of their 16-year-old son, Adam.
  • The suit claims ChatGPT validated the teenager’s suicidal thoughts and failed to intervene appropriately.
  • OpenAI expressed sympathy and said it is reviewing the case.
  • The company admitted its systems have not always behaved as intended in sensitive situations.

A California couple has launched legal action against OpenAI, alleging its chatbot ChatGPT played a role in their teenage son’s suicide.

Matt and Maria Raine filed the case in the Superior Court of California on Tuesday, accusing the company of negligence and wrongful death. Their 16-year-old son, Adam, died in April 2025. It is the first known lawsuit of its kind against the artificial intelligence firm.

Keep ReadingShow less
Musk pledges to back legal cases over child sexual abuse failures
Elon Musk (Photo: Reuters)

Musk pledges to back legal cases over child sexual abuse failures

US tech billionaire Elon Musk has said he will help fund legal cases against officials he believes turned a blind eye to child sexual abuse. His intervention follows a private investigation revealing that such abuse has occurred in 85 local authorities across Britain, reported the Telegraph.

Musk posted on X that he wants to “fund legal actions against corrupt officials who aided and abetted the rape of Britain,” referencing findings from an unofficial inquiry. He encouraged victims and their families to get in touch directly through the platform.

Keep ReadingShow less
england-flags-reuters

A Union Jack flag and England's flag of St George hang from a pedestrain bridge as a man walks past, in Radcliffe, near Manchester, August 22, 2025. (Photo: Reuters)

Reuters

Union Jack and St George’s Cross at centre of migration tensions

Highlights:

  • Flags more visible across England amid migration debate
  • Protests outside hotels for asylum seekers linked to flag displays
  • Councils removing some flags citing safety concerns

THE RED and white St George's Cross and the Union Jack have been appearing across England in recent weeks. Supporters say the move is about national pride, while others see it as linked to rising anti-immigration sentiment.

Keep ReadingShow less
Modi Vantara

Inaugurated last year by prime minister Narendra Modi, the sanctuary reportedly houses over 10,000 animals from 330 species, including tigers, elephants, Komodo dragons, and giant anteaters.

X/@narendramodi

India’s top court orders probe into Ambani family’s zoo project

INDIA’s Supreme Court has ordered an investigation into allegations of illegal animal imports and financial irregularities at Vantara, a private zoo run by Anant Ambani, son of Reliance Industries chairman Mukesh Ambani.

Vantara describes itself as the “world’s biggest wild animal rescue centre” and is located in Gujarat. According to India’s Central Zoo Authority, it houses more than 200 elephants, 50 bears, 160 tigers, 200 lions, 250 leopards and 900 crocodiles, along with other species.

Keep ReadingShow less
uk energy bill

Ofgem said the expansion added 1.42 pounds a month on average to all bills.

iStock

Millions to pay more as energy price cap increases

MILLIONS of households in Britain will see higher energy bills from October after regulator Ofgem raised its price cap by 2 per cent.

The new cap for average annual use of electricity and gas will be 1,755 pounds, an increase of about 35 pounds from the July-September level.

Keep ReadingShow less