Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Green light for car-free policy

CAMPAIGNERS WELCOME BAN ON VEHICLES IN MAJORITY OF NEW YORK’S CENTRAL PARK

NEW YORK’s iconic Central Park officially goes car-free on Wednesday (11), after the final vehi­cle drives through the green oasis and tourist magnet in the heart of America’s most populous urban jungle.


City officials, park and cycling advocates were ex­pected to join a bike ride late on Tuesday (10) be­hind the last car driving through the Manhattan park at 7pm, restoring the green space to its original use as a refuge and recreation venue. “For more than a century, we had turned parts of the world’s most iconic park into a highway – and starting to­night, we will have officially taken it back for good,” said mayor Bill de Blasio.

Until Tuesday, drives in the south of the park had remained open to cars during weekday rush hours.

“We are thrilled to be here tonight to take an evening bike ride and wave goodbye to Central Park’s final car,” said the city’s transportation com­missioner Polly Trottenberg.

The reform does not include four dedicated roads that cross the park’s width and are separated from the rest of the park by walls. Central Park will cele­brate its 160th birthday next year.

De Blasio announced the move in April in a bid to reduce pollution and prioritise health and safety.

Officials began reducing the hours that cars were permitted in the 1960s. Traffic was already prohibit­ed in the north but until Tuesday night vehicles had been able to use three paved lanes in the south.

Tuesday marked the last day at public schools in the city, before the long summer break with outdoor swimming pools due to open on Wednesday.

Up to 250,000 people visit Central Park on a daily basis, according to the Central Park Conservancy that raises 75 per cent of the park’s annual budget.

More For You

Racist incidents against NHS nurses rise 78 per cent

The RCN says calls from ethnic minority nurses reporting racism rose by 70 per cent between 2022 and 2025

iStock

Racist incidents against NHS nurses rise 78 per cent

Highlights

  • Nursing staff reported 6,812 racist incidents in 2025, up from 3,652 in 2022.
  • RCN warns real figures are far higher due to widespread under-reporting.
  • From October, NHS employers will be legally liable for harassment of staff by patients.
Racist abuse against NHS nurses has gone up sharply. New figures show a 78 per cent rise in reported incidents over the past four years.
The Royal College of Nursing gathered this data through Freedom of Information requests sent to NHS trusts and health boards across the UK.
The findings show that nursing staff reported more than 21,000 incidents of racial abuse between 2022 and 2025. In 2025 alone, there were 6,812 incidents, up from 3,652 in 2022.
That means a new report of racist abuse was being made every 77 minutes somewhere in the NHS.

The incidents paint a disturbing picture of what many nurses face on a daily basis. One nurse was called a monkey by a colleague.

A patient threw a hot drink at a nurse and then followed it with racial abuse. In one case, a patient's family said they did not want black nurses looking after their relative.

Keep ReadingShow less