Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

'Fearless' Pant cannot be 'careless', says India coach

India's new batting coach Vikram Rathour warned Rishabh Pant and other rising stars on Tuesday not to turn from "fearless" to "careless" as the national team prepare for next year's Twenty20 World Cup.

The 21-year-old Pant, who is being groomed to take over from MS Dhoni as first-choice wicketkeeper, has also made an impact as an explosive batsman.


But the left-hander, who made his Test debut in England last year and scored his maiden century during the series, has often been accused of throwing away his wicket.

"Of course we want him to play all his shots," Rathour, who took over from Sanjay Bangar as batting coach, told reporters ahead of the second T20 against South Africa in Mohali on Wednesday.

"He needs to be fearless because that is what makes him special. He is an impact player but at the same time he cannot afford to be careless.

"He is a phenomenal player. (But) he needs to bring a little discipline in to his cricket.

"All the young players should understand that there is a fine line between fearless and careless cricket."

Virat Kohli's India have focussed on T20s since their failure at the 50-over World Cup this year where they lost to New Zealand in the semi-finals.

The opening T20 of the three-match series against South Africa in Dharamsala on Sunday was abandoned because of rain.

"In the past T20 was not taken seriously. Now since you are preparing for the World Cup all these games are going to be extremely important," said Rathour, a former India opener.

"And I think the next 20-21 games we will be playing will be our preparation for the World Cup."

The World Cup is to be held in Australia in October-November next year.

More For You

How fugitive Hemant Modi built a second life in Bollywood for 12 years after fleeing parole

Investigators claim he appeared in films with Amitabh Bachchan, Aamir Khan and Mohanlal

Ahmedabad Crime Branch

How fugitive Hemant Modi built a second life in Bollywood for 12 years after fleeing parole

Highlights

  • Hemant Modi was arrested after allegedly evading authorities for 12 years following parole
  • Police say he adopted a new identity and worked as actor Spandan Modi
  • Investigators claim he appeared in films with Amitabh Bachchan, Aamir Khan and Mohanlal
  • Authorities traced him in Ahmedabad after a tip-off reportedly led to his identification

A life sentence gave way to a disappearance

For more than a decade, police say Hemant Nagindas Purshottamdas Modi lived a life few would have expected after a murder conviction. Arrested this week by Ahmedabad’s Detection of Crime Branch, investigators claim the 54-year-old spent years creating a new identity and working in films while remaining a fugitive.

Modi was convicted in 2008 alongside his brother Sachin Modi and five others in the murder case of Narendra alias Nano Yashwant Kamble, linked to a killing in June 2005. All seven were sentenced to life imprisonment.

Keep ReadingShow less