Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Dialogue futile without participation of Hurriyat: Pak on India appointing interlocutor for J&K

Pakistan on Tuesday dismissed as unrealistic India's move to appoint an interlocutor to understand the legitimate aspirations of people in Jammu and Kashmir, saying no interaction or dialogue would carry any weight without the participation of the Hurriyat Conference.

India yesterday appointed former Intelligence Bureau chief Dineshwar Sharma as its special representative for a "sustained dialogue" with all stakeholders in Jammu and Kashmir, in a fresh move aimed at bringing peace to the troubled state.


Responding to a question on Sharma's appointment, Pakistan Foreign Office Spokesperson Nafees Zakaria said that the measure did not appear to be sincere and realistic.

He said that, if anything, the Indian Government s announcement illustrated a recognition -- once again of the futility of the use of force and of the indispensability of dialogue.

"However, for any dialogue process to be meaningful and result-oriented, it has to include the three main parties India, Pakistan, and the Kashmiris. In that context, without the participation of the Hurriyat leadership, no interaction or dialogue would carry any weight or meaning," he said.

The spokesperson said that the designated interlocutor had been entrusted with the task of understanding the "legitimate aspirations" of the Kashmiri people.

He said that the need of the hour was to have dialogue for peacefully resolving the Jammu and Kashmir dispute in accordance with the UN Security Council Resolutions and the wishes of the Kashmiri people.

"This was imperative for ensuring durable and sustainable peace and stability in South Asia. Pakistan hoped that the international community would play its rightful role in facilitating such an outcome," he said.

More For You

Mohammed Islam

Islam now serves as an independent councillor after being suspended by the Labour Party

Enfield Council

Enfield's former mayor Mohammed Islam apologises after visa letters controversy

Highlights

  • Ex-mayor finally apologises after writing visa support letters for family and friends.
  • Conduct committee had expressed frustration over delayed compliance in November.
  • Islam plans to raise concerns about process with Local Government Ombudsman.
Former Enfield mayor Mohammed Islam has apologised to the council for writing letters supporting visa applications for his family and friends. The independent councillor stood down from his mayoral position last August after Enfield Council's conduct committee found he had brought his office into disrepute.
The committee ordered him to make a written apology, undertake code of conduct training, and refrain from wearing his past mayor badge.

In his letter to the council on November (21), Islam said, "I would like to offer my sincere apology to the council for the conduct in relation to the invitation letters to attend council programmes".

"I recognise that the actions did not meet the standards expected of an elected member and may have affected confidence in the council."

Keep ReadingShow less