Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Travellers to quarantine in hotels from February 15

Travellers to quarantine in hotels from February 15

BRITAIN will place travellers arriving from Covid-19 hot spots in quarantine in hotels from Feb. 15, the government said, after criticism that it was not moving fast enough to bring in the measure.

The mandatory 10-day stay in government-provided accommodation, first announced last month, is designed to tighten borders against mutant strains of the coronavirus which could endanger Britain's vaccination programme.


The quarantine will apply to states on a 'red list' where Covid-19 variants are prevalent, including South Africa and countries in South America.

"This is adding to existing measures and we want to make sure that this works, that we give the hotel industry notice," junior foreign minister James Cleverly told Sky News on Friday(5).

In an announcement late on Thursday(4), the government said it had been consulting the travel and hotel industries, and would now finalise plans, including contracting hotels near ports and airports.

A health department spokeswoman said Britain already had one of the toughest border regimes in the world for travellers, such as requiring proof of a negative Covid-19 test.

"We are now working at pace to secure the facilities we need to roll out managed quarantine for British nationals returning home from the most high risk countries," she said.

Opposition lawmakers have criticised Boris Johnson's administration for not implementing the plan more quickly.

"We are in a race against time to protect our borders against new Covid strains. Yet hotel quarantine will come in to force more than 50 days after the South African strain was discovered," Labour's home affairs spokesman Nick Thomas-Symonds said.

Health minister Matt Hancock had discussed the policy with his counterpart in Australia, where quarantine was introduced in March 2020, the health department said. Officials would also seek advice from New Zealand.

More For You

Ella Devi

The post quickly gained traction online and prompted responses from right-wing media outlets

X/ ellad3vi

How 18-year-old Ella Devi mocked 'MAGA' over an ‘America-first’ fashion contradiction

Highlights

  • Fashion student Ella Devi drew criticism from conservative media after commenting on Jennifer Rauchet’s outfit
  • Devi claimed the dress worn by Pete Hegseth’s wife resembled designs sold on Temu and Shein
  • The 18-year-old argued the issue was linked to Maga’s stance on American manufacturing
  • Conservative commentators accused her of targeting Rauchet unfairly

Social media post turns into political flashpoint

Ella Devi has become the focus of criticism from conservative commentators in the United States after posting about an outfit worn by Jennifer Rauchet at the White House Correspondents’ Dinner.

Devi, an 18-year-old Parsons student studying English and philosophy, shared a post on X identifying Rauchet’s asymmetric pink dress as resembling designs available through low-cost online retailers including Temu and Shein. An identical version was later reportedly found on Shein listed for £31.

Keep ReadingShow less