Bathroom gas leak kills two British sisters in Pakistan


According to Pakistani media reports, Maria, 25, and Nadia Rehman, 17, were found unconscious and in a 'half-dead state' before they were rushed to hospital, where they later died (Photo: Clive Rose/Getty Images).
According to Pakistani media reports, Maria, 25, and Nadia Rehman, 17, were found unconscious and in a 'half-dead state' before they were rushed to hospital, where they later died (Photo: Clive Rose/Getty Images).

TWO British sisters were found dead in Pakistan after a bathroom gas leak.

The duo got ‘gassed to death’ in an accident that occurred in the bathroom while visiting the south Asian country for the anniversary of their grandfather’s funeral.

According to Pakistani media reports, Maria, 25, and Nadia Rehman, 17, were found unconscious and in a ‘half-dead state’ before they were rushed to hospital, where they later died.

A gas leak from a geyser in their room, which is used to heat water is believed to be the cause of their death.

The ladies were on their visit to the city of Gujrat in northern Pakistan, with their parents Abdul and mother Zarina.

A probe into the unnatural death has been launched and a report was given to the government officials followed by a postmortem.

The parents of the deceased are reportedly not considering legal action as they have ‘accepted the deaths as an accident’.

The tragedy happened on January 12.

A Foreign and Commonwealth Office spokeswoman said: “We are in contact with the local authorities following the death of two British women in Gujrat, Pakistan, and have offered consular support to the family.”

Geysers use gas burners to heat water for showers. Experts advise to keep windows open because the gas needs oxygen to keep burning.

Meanwhile, relatives at the family home in Preston were too upset to talk but Abdul’s first wife Sheila Rehman, 72, who is stepmum to the girls, hit out at rumours over the deaths on social media.