Zirkzee scores as Man Utd beat Fulham in Premier League opener
Zirkzee, who recently joined United from Bologna for £36.5 million, was introduced for the final half-hour of the game due to concerns over his match fitness.
By EasternEyeAug 17, 2024
JOSHUA Zirkzee marked his Manchester United debut with a decisive late goal, leading his team to a 1-0 victory over Fulham in the Premier League's opening match on Friday.
Zirkzee, who recently joined United from Bologna for £36.5 million, was introduced for the final half-hour of the game due to concerns over his match fitness.
The Dutch international found the net in the 87th minute, turning in Alejandro Garnacho's cross and ensuring a winning start for United at Old Trafford.
“To win here in my first home game and to grab a goal, it couldn’t be better,” Zirkzee said. “I’ve been told scoring at the Stretford End is one of the best feelings at Manchester United. I’m so thankful and blessed I could experience it in my first game. It’s an amazing feeling.”
United's manager Erik ten Hag managed to retain his position at the end of last season by securing an FA Cup victory, despite the team finishing eighth in the Premier League. Whether that triumph over Manchester City will act as a catalyst for the new season remains uncertain after a performance reminiscent of last year.
“I have seen many spaces where we have to improve but that is normal,” Ten Hag commented. “It (the win) is good to strengthen the belief.”
Ten Hag had admitted before the match that his team was “not ready” for the new season, citing injuries and a lack of match fitness among key players. This was reflected in the match, with Bruno Fernandes starting as a centre-forward in Rasmus Hojlund’s absence and Zirkzee being benched after a late return from Euro 2024.
New signing Noussair Mazraoui was immediately placed in the starting lineup at left-back following his arrival from Bayern Munich, but there was no place in the squad for Jadon Sancho, despite his reported reconciliation with Ten Hag.
Fulham, who won at Old Trafford last season for the first time in 20 years, began the match confidently. Andre Onana was tested early on, making a crucial save to deny Kenny Tete’s effort from finding the top corner.
United began to find their rhythm after a slow start.
Twice, Fernandes missed significant chances, firing too close to Fulham’s goalkeeper Bernd Leno. Leno later denied Mason Mount from adding a rare goal since his move from Chelsea last year.
“We created a lot of chances and we should have scored earlier,” Ten Hag added. “That is the only criticism of the team: kill in the box!”
As United pressed for a winner, Ten Hag brought on Garnacho and Zirkzee from the bench. However, this left United vulnerable, and Fulham nearly capitalised, but Andreas Pereira’s misplaced pass prevented Alex Iwobi from having a clear shot at goal.
Lisandro Martinez then made a crucial clearance from Pereira’s dangerous cross, keeping United in the game.
In the end, it was United who secured all three points. Garnacho's cross from the right found Zirkzee, who managed to get a toe on the ball, sending it beyond Leno into the far corner.
United could have doubled their lead in stoppage time, but Garnacho missed an open goal after an unselfish pass from Marcus Rashford. Despite the missed opportunity, United held on for the win, giving Ten Hag the positive start he needed.
Demonstrators gather during an anti-immigration protest outside the New Bridge Hotel in Newcastle on August 23, 2025 in Newcastle upon Tyne. (Photo: Getty Images)
ANTI-MIGRANT protests were held across UK on Sunday outside hotels housing asylum seekers. This followed clashes a day earlier when police intervened to separate demonstrators and counter-protesters in several cities during rallies over immigration policies.
Immigration has emerged as the top concern in public opinion polls, putting pressure on prime minister Keir Starmer’s Labour government to act on its promise to end the use of hotels, which costs billions of pounds annually.
Protests outside hotels housing asylum seekers have become frequent in recent weeks. Some have been linked to safety concerns after a migrant accommodated in a hotel east of London was charged with sexual assault.
Demonstrations on Sunday were reported in different parts of the country, including Epping in east London, Bristol, and Birmingham.
A court ruling last Tuesday ordered the removal of asylum seekers from a hotel in Epping, which has been at the centre of anti-immigration protests. The government plans to appeal. Protesters returned there on Sunday, carrying British flags and placards with slogans such as "Epping says no" and "Stop the boats".
On Saturday, anti-immigration rallies were held in towns and cities across England, Scotland and Wales.
Official data released on Thursday showed asylum claims were at record levels, with more migrants placed in hotels compared with the previous year.
Reform UK leader Nigel Farage, whose party has recently led in voting intention polls, outlined plans for mass deportations of migrants arriving in small boats from mainland Europe if his party came to power.
He told The Times that his proposals included withdrawing Britain from the European Convention on Human Rights, striking repatriation agreements with countries such as Afghanistan and Eritrea, and setting up holding sites for 24,000 migrants.
On Sunday, the government announced reforms to the asylum appeals process aimed at speeding up decisions, cutting the backlog of cases and reducing reliance on hotels for accommodation.
The plans include creating an independent body of adjudicators to handle asylum appeals and address a backlog of 106,000 cases, of which 51,000 are appeals with average waiting times of more than a year.
Home secretary Yvette Cooper said the measures were designed to "restore control and order" to a system she said was "in complete chaos" when Labour took office last year.
"We cannot carry on with these completely unacceptable delays," Cooper said.
By clicking the 'Subscribe’, you agree to receive our newsletter, marketing communications and industry
partners/sponsors sharing promotional product information via email and print communication from Garavi Gujarat
Publications Ltd and subsidiaries. You have the right to withdraw your consent at any time by clicking the
unsubscribe link in our emails. We will use your email address to personalize our communications and send you
relevant offers. Your data will be stored up to 30 days after unsubscribing.
Contact us at data@amg.biz to see how we manage and store your data.
Behind the glamour of streaming lies a demanding workload
Female gamers are increasingly challenging stereotypes in the industry.
Streamer Alyska, with nearly 600,000 followers, plays horror and action titles live.
Women now make up around half of all gamers in the UK.
Communities like Black Girl Gamers are creating safe, inclusive spaces.
The industry is shifting towards more complex female characters in games.
Breaking gaming stereotypes
Video game streamer Alyce Rocha, known online as Alyska, is helping reshape perceptions of women in gaming. Broadcasting to an audience of more than 585,000 followers across platforms, she has turned streaming into her full-time career.
While women are often associated with puzzle and life-simulation titles such as The Sims or Animal Crossing—sometimes grouped under the label “cosy gaming”—Rocha prefers role-playing, action, fantasy and horror games.
“I used to hate horror games,” she told BBC Woman’s Hour. “But my audience loved to see me suffer, so I played more and more, and now I love them.”
A growing presence
According to the UK games industry census, women now make up about half of all gamers. However, the streaming sector still skews heavily male. Rocha has seen female viewership in her own audience climb to around 10%—a small but notable rise.
She says part of her role is proving that women enjoy more than just “cosy” genres. “I’ve been gaming since I was a child. Back then, I didn’t know any other girls who played games. Now it’s easy to find communities and female streamers to connect with.”
The business of streaming
Behind the glamour of streaming lies a demanding workload. Rocha streams six hours a day, seven days a week—recently scaled back from 12-hour sessions—while also handling administrative tasks.
Her income comes from platform subscriptions, advertising revenue and brand partnerships. Yet companies like Twitch take a significant share, with the platform keeping half of standard broadcast earnings.
The pressure reflects the booming global industry: video games now generate more revenue than music, TV and film combined, with UK revenue projected to hit £13.7 billion this year.
Changing representation in games
As more women assert their place in gaming, the industry is evolving too. Overly sexualised female characters are being replaced by more nuanced portrayals.
Titles such as The Last of Us Part II feature layered female leads like Ellie, while narrative-driven games including Life is Strange explore themes of identity, body image and adolescence. Writers such as Halley Gross have helped shape these more authentic representations.
Communities for women gamers
Alongside high-profile streamers, grassroots communities are growing. Black Girl Gamers, founded in 2015, has expanded into a global network of over 10,000 members.
For many, the group offers friendship, solidarity and an escape from everyday pressures. “It’s a whole universe of people who just get it,” member Deanne said. “It gives you a calmer mindset.”
The network also provides a buffer against the toxic side of gaming culture. Members share experiences of misogynistic or racist abuse in online lobbies, with some opting to mute interactions, while others confront offenders directly. A private Discord “venting channel” allows women to share frustrations safely.
More than a hobby
For players like Rocha and groups like Black Girl Gamers, gaming is more than entertainment—it is a source of connection, empowerment and emotional support.
As a community member, Iesha explained: “Gaming has helped me through tough times, including family loss and grief. Some games let you experience emotions in gentle ways, and sharing that journey makes all the difference.”
Keep ReadingShow less
The cancellation is the latest in a string of setbacks for SpaceX’s Starship project
SpaceX halted its 10th Starship test flight minutes before liftoff in Texas.
Engineers cited a ground systems issue and will attempt another launch on Monday.
The decision follows multiple explosions in earlier Starship trials.
The rocket is central to Musk’s Mars ambitions and NASA’s lunar mission plans.
Launch halted in Texas
SpaceX called off the 10th test flight of its Starship megarocket on Sunday, marking another delay for Elon Musk’s ambitious space programme. The company announced the halt roughly 30 minutes before liftoff from its Boca Chica launch site, saying the pause was to “allow time to troubleshoot an issue with ground systems.”
A new launch attempt has been scheduled for Monday.
Previous failures
The cancellation is the latest in a string of setbacks for SpaceX’s Starship project. Earlier tests of the rocket’s upper stage in January, March and May ended in mid-flight explosions, while a June “static fire” trial saw the vehicle erupt on the launchpad.
Despite these failures, SpaceX maintains that the fully reusable 403ft (123m) rocket is essential to reducing spaceflight costs and enabling long-duration missions.
Role in Mars and Moon missions
Starship is designed to ferry both people and cargo into space, forming the backbone of Musk’s long-term goal of establishing a settlement on Mars. NASA has also contracted SpaceX to deliver a customised version of Starship for its Artemis programme, which aims to return astronauts to the Moon.
Planned flight objectives
Had Sunday’s launch gone ahead, Starship’s upper stage was expected to separate from its Super Heavy booster at high altitude. The booster, which has previously demonstrated landings using giant mechanical arms, was set to attempt a water landing in the Gulf of Mexico to test a backup engine configuration.
The Starship upper stage was programmed to fire its engines in space, release a batch of mock Starlink satellites, and reignite on a suborbital path around Earth.
Ongoing challenges
Even if the 10th test flight proves successful, SpaceX still faces major engineering challenges. These include making the vehicle rapidly and fully reusable, cutting launch costs significantly, and proving it can refuel using super-cooled propellants in orbit—capabilities seen as vital for both lunar and Martian missions.
Keep ReadingShow less
The restaurant suffered extensive damage in the fire. Neighbours reported hearing loud screams on Friday night. (Photo credit: X)
A 15-YEAR-OLD boy and a 54-year-old man have been arrested on suspicion of arson after a fire broke out at an Indian restaurant in east London, leaving five people injured.
The Metropolitan Police said officers were called to the Indian Aroma restaurant in Ilford on Friday night. Three women and two men, believed to be diners, sustained burn injuries. They were treated at the scene by London Ambulance Service paramedics before being taken to hospital. According to police, a man and a woman remain in a life-threatening condition.
“While we have made two arrests, our investigation continues at pace so we can piece together what happened on Friday evening,” said Detective Chief Inspector Mark Rogers of the Met Police’s Central Specialist Crime North unit.
“I know the community members are concerned and shocked by this incident. I would urge anyone with any information or concerns to come forward and speak to police,” he added.
The two suspects were arrested on suspicion of arson with intent to endanger life and remain in police custody. A large police presence was seen in the Woodford Avenue, Gants Hill area over the weekend.
“It is also believed there are two further victims who left the scene before officers arrived. Efforts remain ongoing to identify them,” police said.
The restaurant suffered extensive damage in the fire. Neighbours reported hearing loud screams on Friday night. Reports also suggest CCTV footage shows a group of people with face coverings entering the restaurant and pouring liquid on the floor before the blaze.
“We sent resources to the scene, including ambulance crews, an advanced paramedic, an incident response officer and paramedics from our hazardous area response team,” the London Ambulance Service said.
“We treated five people for burns and smoke inhalation. We took two patients to a major trauma centre and three others to local hospitals,” it added.
The restaurant is managed by Rohit Kaluvala. Its website says it is dedicated to serving the “authentic flavours of India” and notes that it has catered for film and television crews, religious and cultural events, charity and business functions. It also highlights award wins for its curries.
The London Fire Brigade said it is continuing to investigate the cause of the blaze.
“We were called at 9:02 pm to reports of a fire at a restaurant on Woodford Avenue in Gants Hill. Part of the ground-floor restaurant was damaged by fire,” a spokesperson said.
“Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus rescued five people from the restaurant. They were all taken to hospital by London Ambulance Service. Around nine further people were able to leave the restaurant before firefighters arrived,” the spokesperson said.
(With inputs from agencies)
Keep ReadingShow less
Pakistan's foreign minister Ishaq Dar said Pakistan had not requested any mediation in its talks with India, but was offered a meeting at a neutral venue. (Photo: Getty Images)
PAKISTAN is ready for a “comprehensive dialogue with India” to discuss Kashmir and other issues, foreign minister Ishaq Dar said on Friday (22).
Dar, who also holds the portfolio of the deputy prime minister, said Pakistan was clear from the outset that discussions with India would not take place on any single-point agenda.
“Talks, whenever held, will be not just Kashmir but on all issues,” he told reporters outside the parliament in Islamabad.
India has maintained that it will have a dialogue with Pakistan over Kashmir and crossborder terrorism.
Dar said Pakistan had not requested any mediation in its talks with India, but was offered a meeting at a neutral venue.
“We were told to sit down at a neutral location, and I said if that is the case, we are willing to meet,” he said.
The minister also claimed the US has nudged Islamabad towards a ceasefire with India.
“I received a call from the US for a ceasefire,” Dar said. “I had made it clear that Pakistan did not want a war.”
An attack by terrorists on April 22 in Indian Kashmir’s Pahalgam left 26 people dead, prompting Delhi to launch strikes under ‘operation Sindoor’. Four days of drone and missile strikes followed, before India and Pakistan reached an understanding on May 10 to end the conflict.
Dar said the ceasefire with India was in place.
His comments came as Chinese foreign minister Wang Yi met Pakistan’s army chief Asim Munir on Friday and discussed regional security and counter-terrorism.
“Both sides reaffirmed their resolve to strengthen the all-weather strategic partnership and enhance coordination at regional and international forums,” the army said in a statement on Friday.
“Wang Yi reiterated China’s steadfast support for Pakistan’s sovereignty and development,” it added.
On Thursday (21), Wang and Dar held talks to review the China-Pakistan Economic Corridor 2.0, trade and economic relations, multilateral cooperation, and people-to-people ties.