Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Submit Guest Post

UK Supreme Court gives green light to Heathrow expansion

BRITAIN's top court gave the go-ahead to the expansion of Heathrow Airport on Wednesday(16), allowing the £14 billion ($19 billion) plan to proceed after decades of legal battles and political wrangling.

The Supreme Court ruling overturned a previous court decision that had blocked the plan on environmental grounds.


In February, a court had declared the expansion unlawful, ruling in favour of climate change campaigners. The judge had said that a failure to take into account the British government's commitments on climate change was "legally fatal" to the plans.

But a Supreme Court judge told a virtual session on Wednesday that the government had taken climate change commitments into account when designing its airport policy.

"For these reasons, the Court unanimously concludes that the appeal should be allowed. The airports national policy statement is lawful," Judge Philip Sales said.

"Demand for aviation will recover from Covid-19, and the additional capacity at an expanded Heathrow will allow Britain as a sovereign nation to compete for trade and win against our rivals in France and Germany," a Heathrow spokesman said in a statement.

The airport is owned by Spain's Ferrovial, the Qatar Investment Authority and China Investment Corp, among others.

Heathrow, Britain's biggest port by value, has two runways, compared with Paris's and Frankfurt's four and Amsterdam's six. Before the pandemic, it had no space to add new flights.

Heathrow and its supporters argue that Britain's departure from the EU makes expansion critical to ensuring the country can increase trade with the rest of the world.

The project has been hotly debated in Britain for almost half a century. The new runway was previously approved in 2009 before being scrapped the following year, and then approved again in 2018.

Prime minister Boris Johnson has been a long-term opponent of it. As mayor of London, he vowed in 2015 that he would lie down in front of bulldozers if necessary to stop construction of the third runway.

The latest decision represents a setback to wider hopes among climate campaigners of using Heathrow as a test case to develop similar legal challenges to heavily polluting transport, energy or other projects in other countries.

Add EasternEye As Your Trusted Source
preferred source on google news

More For You

Defender Dakar

The Defender Dakar brings equipment developed for rally racing into a road-legal limited-run model

X handle/autocar

Land Rover’s wildest Defender yet is the Dakar racer you can actually drive on the road

  • The Defender Dakar gets a 626bhp twin-turbo V8.
  • Its 35-inch all-terrain tyres are fitted to forged 20-inch wheels.
  • Reservations are expected to open early next year.

Land Rover is taking one of its most extreme off-road machines out of the desert and onto the road, with the Defender Dakar turning technology developed for the Dakar Rally into a limited-run road-legal model.

Revealed at Monterey Car Week, the new Defender is based on the Defender Octa but incorporates a series of upgrades developed for JLR's works Dakar racer. It gets a 4.4-litre twin-turbocharged V8 producing 626bhp and 553lb ft of torque, with power sent to all four wheels through an eight-speed automatic gearbox.

Keep ReadingShow less