Staff at three field hospitals in northern England are being mobilised to prepare for a surge in coronavirus admissions, health authorities said Monday, as prime minister Boris Johnson prepared to unveil a new three-tiered system of localised restrictions.
A string of temporary "Nightingale" hospitals were built across the UK in conference centres and stadia earlier this year as Covid-19 swept across the country.
Named after nursing pioneer Florence Nightingale and constructed by the military, many were not needed at the time.
But they were put on standby last month and three hospitals in the worst-hit regions of northwest England -- which accounts for 40 percent of all new cases -- and the northeast have now been told to get ready to receive patients.
"We have asked the Nightingale hospitals in Manchester, Sunderland and Harrogate to prepare for this next phase," said Stephen Powis, national medical director for the state-run National Health Service (NHS) in England.
Testing for hospital staff is also being stepped up in high-risk areas to try to stop the spread of a virus that has killed almost 43,000 people in the UK -- the highest toll in Europe.
Jonathan Van-Tam, deputy chief medical officer for England, warned that although northern England was worst hit, rising infection rates were a "nationwide phenomenon".
Equally, health officials warn that while many cases are among young people, infection rates are increasing for older age groups, who are more at risk of hospitalisation.
Almost 13,000 new cases were reported on Sunday, with 65 further deaths.
And there are now more patients in hospital in England with Covid-19 than when a nationwide lockdown was ordered in late March.
- Liverpool shutdown -
The UK-wide lockdown was lifted in June but England, whose health policy is controlled by the UK government, and the devolved administrations in Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland have all imposed tough restrictions.
They include blanket restrictions on social gatherings, in addition to more localised measures. Pubs and other licensed premises in central Scotland shut last Friday for 16 days.
Amid accusations that the rules are confusing, Johnson will later Monday set out a new three-tiered alert system for local measures in England, classifying all areas as either "medium", "high" or "very high" risk.
Local authorities in Liverpool said they had been told they would be in the top tier, with pubs, bars, betting shops, gyms and casinos all shutting.
But they are still pressing central government for funds to help support public services and businesses that closed, after a nationwide furlough scheme ends on October 31.
Finance minister Rishi Sunak announced on Friday a less generous replacement that would see the government pay up to two-thirds of staff's monthly wages to firms forced to close.
"We do not feel that the furlough scheme announced recently is adequate and that businesses in the region especially those in the hospitality sector and those serving it will be damaged and many will suffer long-term damage or close for good," a joint statement from Liverpool's leaders said.
WHEN broadcaster and journalist Naga Munchetty began speaking openly about her experiences with adenomyosis and debilitating menstrual pain, the response was overwhelming.
Emails and messages poured in from women who had endured years of dismissal, silence and shame when it came to their health. That outpouring became the driving force behind her new book, It’s Probably Nothing, which calls for women to be heard and to advocate for themselves in a medical system that has too often ignored them.
“For so long, so many women haven’t been listened to by the world of medicine,” Munchetty said. “I knew this from my own experience of not being given adequate pain relief, or waiting years for a diagnosis. My motivation was to help women and people who love women to advocate better for women’s health.”
The book blends Munchetty’s personal journey with the voices of other women who have faced similar struggles, alongside expert insights from medical professionals. Its purpose, she said, is clear: to empower people to fight for their health.
“We need to be unafraid of saying how we have been weakened by our symptoms,” the BBC presenter said.
“Too often, we try to keep afloat, keep our head above water, but we don’t want to seem weak. That needs to change.”
Munchetty’s candour is striking. She describes the shame of being told her excruciating periods were “just normal,” leaving her to feel weak and whiny for struggling.
“You might as well have told me people have heart attacks while I’m having a heart attack,” she said. “Debilitating pain is serious — it may not be lifelimiting, but it is life-impacting.”
Her determination to challenge that culture led to her giving evidence in parliament, contributing to what became a Women and Equalities Committee report, published in December 2024.
The report made headlines for its stark conclusion: medical misogyny exists.
For Munchetty, seeing that phrase in black and white was transformative. “It was almost self-affirming,” she said. “We now know it’s there, so we can challenge it. Women can say: I know my body, I know there’s not enough research, and I am entitled to push for answers.”
The parliamentary report went further than acknowledgement. It called for ring-fenced funding for women’s health hubs, better training for GPs, and greater investment in research into reproductive conditions like adenomyosis and endometriosis.
It highlighted how symptoms are routinely dismissed as “normal,” delaying diagnosis and disrupting women’s careers, education and daily lives. Munchetty wrote in her book — referencing the report — that medical misogyny is not about blaming individual doctors, but about challenging a system built on insufficient research into women’s bodies.
“It gives women the language and the confidence to not just be heard, but to insist on being taken seriously,” she wrote.
Her book also tackles the additional barriers faced by women from minority communities, who may be discouraged by stigma or embarrassment from speaking about menstruation or menopause. To them, Munchetty has a clear message: “You are so much more valuable than you realise. If you don’t prioritise your health, you are lessening your ability to hold up everyone around you.”
Those featured in the book are friends, colleagues, charities and everyday women who contributed their stories, many for the first time. “I was surprised at how many friends are in that book with such powerful experiences,” Munchetty said.
“It told me all the more that we’re not speaking about it, and that it is sadly so very common.”
At a launch event for the book, contributors, family and experts filled the room with what Munchetty describes as an “electric and inspiring atmosphere.”
She said, “It was full of joy, of women who felt safe to speak up and be heard. This is not a whiny book — it’s a positive book. People felt they were part of making things better, part of this women’s health revolution.”
For Munchetty, writing the book was exhausting, but transformative, she said.
“I never thought I’d be an author. I’m a journalist. But this is journalism — facilitating people’s stories to be told powerfully and truthfully. People trusted me, and I’m proud of that.”
And Munchetty’s aim is for the book to be a tool for change: arming women with the language, confidence and strategies to advocate for their health.
“It’s not easy to admit you need help, and it’s not instinctive for women to prioritise themselves,” she said. “But this book will help you do that. It’s the silent friend who has your back and gives you strength.”
It’s Probably Nothing - Critical Conversations on the Women’s Health Crisis is now available in all good bookshops
By clicking the 'Subscribe’, you agree to receive our newsletter, marketing communications and industry
partners/sponsors sharing promotional product information via email and print communication from Garavi Gujarat
Publications Ltd and subsidiaries. You have the right to withdraw your consent at any time by clicking the
unsubscribe link in our emails. We will use your email address to personalize our communications and send you
relevant offers. Your data will be stored up to 30 days after unsubscribing.
Contact us at data@amg.biz to see how we manage and store your data.
The Shree Kunj Bihari Vrindavan (UK) Temple has officially launched its project to establish a grand home for Shree Banke Bihari in London.
The inaugural event, held in Harrow from 4 pm, featured devotional chants, the Deep Pragtya ceremony, and a presentation outlining the temple’s vision. Speaking at the gathering, Shalini Bhargava described the planned temple as “a spiritual home promoting bhakti, unity and seva for generations to come.”
Several dignitaries were honoured at the ceremony, including Cllr Anjana Patel, Mayor of Harrow; Anuradha Pandey, Hindi and Cultural Attaché at the High Commission of India; Kamakshi Jani of the Royal Navy; Councillors Janet Mote, Nitin Parikh and Mina Parmar; Krishnaben Pujara, Chairperson of ALL UK; and Truptiben Patel, President of the Hindu Forum of Britain.
Organisers said the launch marks the beginning of a new spiritual and cultural hub for London’s Hindu community, offering a centre for devotion, learning and community service.
Keep ReadingShow less
Williams explained that her weight challenges began after the birth of her first daughter
Serena Williams reveals she has lost more than 31lbs using a GLP-1 medication
The tennis legend says the treatment enhanced her existing healthy lifestyle
She stresses that weight loss should not change self-image or self-confidence
Serena Williams has revealed she has lost more than 31lbs after turning to a weight-loss medication, saying the treatment has transformed both her body and her mindset.
The 23-time Grand Slam champion, 43, told PEOPLE that using a GLP-1 medication — a type of injection that works by regulating appetite — has helped enhance the healthy lifestyle she already maintained through diet and exercise.
“I feel great,” Williams said. “I feel really good and healthy. I feel light physically and light mentally.”
Postpartum struggles
Williams explained that her weight challenges began after the birth of her first daughter, Alexis Olympia, in 2017. Despite training intensively and eating healthily, she found it difficult to return to her preferred weight.
“I never was able to get to the weight I needed to be, no matter what I did, no matter how much I trained,” she admitted. “It was frustrating to work so hard and not see results.”
She experienced the same plateau after giving birth to her second daughter, Adira River, in 2023. Although she initially shed weight quickly, progress soon stalled. “I never lost another pound,” she recalled.
Turning to treatment
Determined to try a new approach, Williams consulted doctors through Ro, a direct-to-patient healthcare company, and began a GLP-1 course once she had finished breastfeeding. The medication, also known as a glucagon-like peptide-1 receptor agonist, is commonly marketed under brand names such as Ozempic and Mounjaro.
“I did a lot of research before I started,” she explained. “I wanted to know if it was a shortcut or if it could really help me. In the end, it felt like the right decision.”
Williams, who is now a patient ambassador for Ro, said the injections made a noticeable difference. “I lost over 31 pounds and was really excited about that weight loss.”
Feeling better than ever
The Olympic gold medallist says she now feels stronger and more energetic.
“I can do more. I’m more active. My joints don’t hurt as much. Even simple things like moving around are easier. I feel like I have a lot more energy.”
She emphasised that GLP-1 was not a substitute for discipline but a way to support her existing healthy habits. “GLP-1 helped me enhance everything I was already doing — eating healthy and working out, whether as a professional athlete or just at the gym every day.”
Confidence and body positivity
Despite her transformation, Williams stressed that her self-confidence has never depended on her size.
“Weight loss should never really change your self-image,” she said. “Women are judged about their bodies at any size, and I’m no stranger to that. I’ve always loved myself at every stage. The difference was that my body didn’t feel good carrying that extra weight after having children.”
She added that she encourages her daughters to embrace body confidence too. “It’s important to teach them to be confident at any size, just as I try to be. Looking back, whether I was smaller or heavier, I always felt confident — and I looked great too.”
Looking ahead
Williams says she plans to continue with the weekly GLP-1 injections as needed, alongside training for a half marathon. The gym remains her “favourite place to be” — and she intends to keep sharing her workouts with fans online.
Olivia Dunne starred in a viral bubble bath shoot for a new Fanatics series.
The 2025 Sports Illustrated Swimsuit cover model revealed the not-so-glamorous side of filming.
Her TikTok showing behind-the-scenes chaos has gained over 700,000 views.
Fans and family flooded the comments with jokes and questions.
Fanatics partnership and viral moment
Retired gymnast and 2025 SI Swimsuit cover star Olivia Dunne has gone viral again, this time thanks to an unusual shoot for Fanatics.
The brand announced its new digital series, Explained by Livvy Dunne, where the influencer takes on complex topics in a playful style. The launch video showed Dunne in a bubble bath—similar in style to Margot Robbie’s cameo in The Big Short—but with a twist: the tub was set up in the middle of a football field.
On Tuesday, Dunne gave fans a behind-the-scenes look at the shoot on TikTok. The clip, which has already attracted more than 700,000 views, showed her sitting in the bath for hours while production staff worked around her to keep her covered with bubbles.
“I sat there for 3 hours😭 @Fanatics #fanatics #football #sports #rosebowl #sportsbetting,” she wrote in the caption.
The video was set to the viral “Jet2 Advert” soundtrack, often used to highlight chaotic twists during seemingly relaxing moments.
Fan and family reactions
The post quickly filled with light-hearted comments. Her sister Julz joked: “I can feel the bath water comments from miles away,” to which Dunne replied, “2021 all over again.”
Others joined in with their own humour, including:
“Did they warm the water up at least?”
“And my mom said bubble technician was a job with no future.”
“Football and bubble baths are the best things in life.”
Fanatics Betting and Gaming’s Chief Marketing Officer, Selena Kalvaria, said:
“As a disruptor brand, Fanatics Sportsbook is rewriting the category playbook. By working with a cultural force like Livvy, we’re telling our story in a way that expands our reach with existing betting audiences—and speaks to new ones, too.”
Keep ReadingShow less
Bhaktivedanta Manor hosts grand Janmashtami festival amid record crowds
Tens of thousands of devotees gathered at Bhaktivedanta Manor, Watford over the weekend for the annual Sri Krishna Janmashtami festival, one of the most important dates in the Hindu calendar.
The celebrations began on Saturday (16) and continued throughout Sunday (17) , with organisers estimating that more than 50,000 visitors attended across the two days. The programme included darshan of Sri Sri Radha-Gokulananda, devotional singing, thought-provoking dramas, dance performances, exhibitions, and talks. Visitors also enjoyed a vibrant festival bazaar, a food court offering Indian delicacies, children’s activities, and free vegetarian meals (prasadam) served throughout the day.
Bhaktivedanta Manor hosts grand Janmashtami festival amid record crowds
At the New Gokul Farm, devotees had the chance to feed and worship cows and oxen, while young people engaged with the Pandava Sena youth group. The popular Radharani Café served freshly prepared dishes, and the Farm Shop offered organic produce grown on site. Special shuttle bus and park-and-ride services ensured smooth access for visitors from Stanmore and Harrow & Wealdstone stations.
Saturday’s celebrations were briefly disrupted when an administrative error led to more tickets being released than the temple site could safely accommodate. This forced organisers to cancel entry between 3pm and 4pm and caused traffic congestion in the area.
In a statement, the temple apologised for the “serious and regrettable mistake” and assured devotees that stronger safeguards are being introduced to prevent a repeat.
Bhaktivedanta Manor hosts grand Janmashtami festival amid record crowds
Temple President Her Grace Visakha Dasi reflected that “Janmashtami 2025 at Bhaktivedanta Manor was unique. Alongside devotional exhibits, powerful dramas, insightful talks, and delicious prasadam, we also got an unexpected glimpse of how extraordinarily popular the Manor is. Due to an administrative error, too many free tickets were released, which led to traffic jams. We won’t let that happen again, but it showed us that we may need more days to allow eager pilgrims to celebrate Janmashtami with us.”
The festival was supported by more than 1,000 volunteers, who dedicated countless hours to ensure the event’s success. Despite Saturday’s disruption, Sunday’s programme ran smoothly and was described by many attendees as “an atmosphere saturated with bhakti and optimism.”
Bhaktivedanta Manor hosts grand Janmashtami festival amid record crowds
Distinguished guests included the Indian High Commissioner Mr. Vikram Doraiswamy and the Chief Constable of Hertfordshire, Andy Prophet, who joined devotees in marking the occasion.
Bhaktivedanta Manor, donated by Beatles star George Harrison in 1973, is now one of Europe’s most significant Hindu temples, attracting worshippers from across the UK and beyond.