Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

UK announces £2 billion to promote cycling and walking as part of green recovery

MORE commuters should consider cycling or walking when Britain's coronavirus lockdown is eased to take the pressure off public transport capacity that is likely to drop by 90 per cent under social distancing requirements, Transport Secretary Grant Shapps said on Saturday (9).

He also announced a "once in a generation" transport sector investment of £2 billion, with a major chunk ear-marked for emergency improvements to cycling and walking infrastructure for the country's green recovery from the coronavirus pandemic.


Shapps urged people to continue to work from home where possible, but said those who did have to commute to work should consider cycling or walking rather than using their cars.

The requirement for buses, trains and underground rail services to maintain social distancing rules means they will only be able to carry vastly reduced passenger numbers. But an increase in private car use to commute to work is likely to lead to roads and motorways becoming choked with traffic.

"Even with public transport reverting to a full service, once you take into account the two-metre social distancing rule, there would only be effective capacity for one in 10 passengers in many parts of our network, just a tenth of the old capacity," said Shapps.

He noted that in some parts of Britain there had been a 70 per cent rise in the number of people using bikes during the pandemic.

"Whilst it's crucial that we stay at home, when the country does get back to work we need to ask those people to carry on walking and cycling and for them to be joined by many others as well," he said.

Shapps said local councils will be required to reallocate road space for significantly-increased numbers of cyclists and pedestrians.

He said pop-up bike lanes with protected space for cycling, wider pavements, safer junctions, and cycle and bus-only corridors will be created within weeks, while E-scooter trials will be brought forward, with the potential for rental vehicles on UK roads as early as June.

Prime Minister Boris Johnson is expected to announce on Sunday the next phase of Britain's battle to tackle the health crisis, following a review by ministers of lockdown measures that have all but shut the economy and kept tens of millions of people at home for nearly seven weeks.

Housing Secretary Robert Jenrick said the government wanted to "slowly and cautiously" restart the economy.

"The message ... of staying at home now does need to be updated, we need to have a broader message," he noted.

Jenrick added that the easing of the lockdown would be conditional on keeping the spread of the virus under control, and if the rate of infection begins to increase in some areas, more stringent measures could be re-introduced.

More For You

Kim Kardashian in McQueen  dress

Kim Kardashian splashes in nude McQueen gown on Rio sand

Instagram/kimkardashian

Kim Kardashian takes decades old Alexander McQueen dress straight into the sea shocking fans online

Highlights:

  • Kim Kardashian goes for a nighttime swim in Rio wearing a vintage McQueen dress
  • The gown is from Alexander McQueen’s Spring 2003 collection, inspired by the ocean
  • Fans and family react online, sister Khloé calls her a “freak” for swimming at night
  • Dress sourced from One of a Kind Archive in London
  • Kim was in Brazil promoting Hulu drama All’s Fair

Kim Kardashian took haute couture literally this week, diving into the Atlantic in a historic Alexander McQueen gown. The 45-year-old reality star was in Rio de Janeiro for her Hulu drama, All’s Fair, when she swapped the premiere’s ivory Conner Ives look for something far more daring, a sheer nude McQueen dress from the Spring 2003 collection.

Kim Kardashian in McQueen  dress Kim Kardashian splashes in nude McQueen gown on Rio sand Instagram/kimkardashian

Keep ReadingShow less