Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Submit Guest Post

Sri Lanka negotiating military deal with the US

Sri Lanka is negotiating a fresh military cooperation deal with the United States, its prime minister announced in parliament on Wednesday (10), even as the country's president vowed to veto any agreement.

Ranil Wickremesinghe said the government was discussing a replacement for a 1995 Status of Forces (SOFA) arrangement that would allow the militaries of the two countries to access each other's ports and airports with fewer formalities.


The prime minister said negotiations were ongoing as the new document contained provisions Sri Lanka was "not able to accept", without elaborating on what they were.

His comments came days after president Maithripala Sirisena said he would not let the government headed by his pro-West arch-rival conclude any deal giving US forces freer access to Sri Lanka.

"I will not allow the SOFA that seeks to betray the nation. Some foreign forces want to make Sri Lanka one of their bases. I will not allow them to come into the country and challenge our sovereignty," Sirisena, who faces an election this year, said at a rally last weekend.

The United States last year granted $39 million for maritime security to Sri Lanka as China develops its strategic hold in the region.

US concern has increased as China steps up investment in ports and other projects on the island, which is a key link in Beijing's ambitious "Belt and Road" infrastructure initiative.

China has vowed to keep providing financial help, including loans, to Sri Lanka despite warnings about the nation's mounting debt.

Sri Lanka in 2017 gave a 99-year lease on a strategic port to Beijing because it could not repay Chinese loans for the $1.4 billion project.

Hambantota port straddles the world's busiest east-west shipping route and also gives a strategic foothold to China in a region long dominated by India.

Add EasternEye As Your Trusted Source
preferred source on google news

More For You

McLaren

McLaren’s McL 6GT revives a 1960s road-car idea with a modern carbon-fibre body and manual gearbox

X handle/ carwow

McLaren’s new supercar brings back the manual gearbox in a throwback to its earliest road-car dream

  • The McL 6GT will be McLaren’s first manual car since the F1.
  • The concept uses a V8 engine, rear-wheel drive and hydraulic steering.
  • A production version is planned for 2028.

McLaren is bringing back something that has almost disappeared from the modern supercar world: a proper manual gearbox.

The British carmaker has unveiled the McL 6GT at Monterey Car Week, a concept inspired by the unfinished M6GT road-car project conceived by company founder Bruce McLaren. If it reaches production as planned in 2028, it will become the first McLaren road car with a manual transmission since the legendary F1, which debuted in 1992.

Keep ReadingShow less