Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Southport killer Axel Rudakubana investigated over alleged attack

The 18-year-old allegedly threw boiling water over an officer at Belmarsh prison in London

Southport killer Axel Rudakubana investigated over alleged attack

Axel Rudakubana (Photo: Merseyside Police)

POLICE are investigating an alleged attack on a prison officer by Axel Rudakubana, who is serving a life sentence for killing three girls in Southport last year.

The incident took place last Thursday (8) at HMP Belmarsh in London. It is understood that the officer had boiling water thrown over them. According to the Ministry of Justice, the officer was taken to hospital as a precaution and discharged the same day.


A Prison Service spokesperson said: “Violence in prison will not be tolerated and we will always push for the strongest possible punishment for attacks on our hardworking staff.”

The alleged assault has raised concerns about staff safety in prisons. It follows a similar attack last month by Hashem Abedi, the Manchester Arena bomber, who reportedly attacked three officers at HMP Frankland using hot oil and improvised weapons.

According to Ministry of Justice data, assaults on staff in adult prisons in England and Wales are at their highest level in ten years.

Justice secretary Shabana Mahmood previously announced a trial of tasers in prisons and a snap review of protective body armour for officers. Asked earlier this week if prison officers were safe, prisons minister James Timpson said: “I think it is fine to work in our prisons.”

Shadow justice secretary Robert Jenrick described the situation as a “full blown crisis” and urged the justice secretary to act “now” in a post on X.

Tom Wheatley, president of the Prison Governors’ Association, said prison officers do “an incredibly difficult job” in “overcrowded conditions”. Speaking to BBC Radio 4’s Today programme, he said: “Pretty much anything can be utilised to cause harm. What we're really concerned about is the intent of people to do so.”

Asked whether dangerous prisoners should have access to kettles in their cells, Wheatley said it was “lower risk” than having officers deliver hot water to them.

Rudakubana was jailed for life with a minimum term of 52 years in January for the murder of six-year-old Bebe King, seven-year-old Elsie Dot Stancombe and nine-year-old Alice da Silva Aguiar. The girls were killed at a Taylor Swift-themed dance class in Southport on July 29, 2024.

He also attacked eight other children, a dance instructor, and a man who tried to stop him. He was convicted of three counts of murder, 10 counts of attempted murder, and other offences including producing ricin, possessing terrorist materials, and carrying a knife.

A public inquiry into the Southport killings began in April. In February, the Attorney General decided not to refer Rudakubana’s sentence to the Court of Appeal, despite calls for a review.

The Southport attack triggered widespread unrest in towns and cities across the UK. Far-right groups spread false claims online about the attacker’s background, leading to riots targeting police, shops, and places housing asylum seekers. Mosques were also attacked. Hundreds of people were arrested during the violence.

(with inputs from AFP)

More For You

India-Canada-iStock

India and Canada have appointed new envoys in a step to restore diplomatic ties strained since 2023. (Representational image: iStock)

iStock

Envoys appointed as India, Canada move to restore diplomatic ties

INDIA and Canada on Thursday announced the appointment of new envoys to each other’s capitals, in a step aimed at restoring strained ties following the killing of a Sikh separatist in 2023.

India has named senior diplomat Dinesh K Patnaik as the next high commissioner to Ottawa, while Canada appointed Christopher Cooter as its new envoy to New Delhi.

Keep ReadingShow less
protests-uk-getty
Protesters from the group Save Our Future & Our Kids Future demonstrate against uncontrolled immigration outside the Cladhan Hotel on August 16, 2025 in Falkirk, Scotland. (Photo: Getty Images)
Getty Images

Government wins appeal over housing asylum seekers in hotel

Highlights:

  • UK appeals court overturns ruling blocking hotel use for asylum seekers
  • Judges call earlier High Court decision “seriously flawed”
  • 138 asylum seekers will not need to be relocated by September 12
  • Full hearing scheduled at the Court of Appeal in October

A UK appeals court has overturned a lower court order that had temporarily blocked the use of a hotel in Epping, northeast of London, to house asylum seekers.

Keep ReadingShow less
Mumbai-Reuters
A drone view of the construction work of the upcoming coastal road in Mumbai, India. (Photo credit: Reuters)
Reuters

India’s economy grows faster than expected as US tariffs pose risk

Highlights:

  • India’s GDP grew 7.8 per cent in April-June, beating forecasts of 6.7 per cent.
  • US has double tariffs on Indian imports to 50 per cent, raising export concerns.
  • Consumer spending rose 7.0 per cent year-on-year, driven by rural demand..

INDIA’s economy expanded faster than expected in the April-June quarter, even as higher US tariffs on Indian imports are set to weigh on activity in the coming months.

Keep ReadingShow less
Bangladesh-protests-Getty

Anti-government protesters display Bangladesh’s national flag at Sheikh Hasina’s palace in Dhaka last year. (Photo: Getty Images)

Getty Images

Bangladesh Election Commission announces roadmap for February polls

BANGLADESH’s Election Commission (EC) on Thursday released a roadmap for the general election, expected to be held in February next year.

The poll schedule will be announced at least 60 days before the voting date, officials said.

Keep ReadingShow less
chicken-pox-istock

The Department of Health said the rollout would reduce missed days at nursery and school, cut time parents take off work, and save the NHS about £15 million a year. (Representational image: iStock)

iStock

England to introduce free chickenpox vaccine for children from 2026

CHILDREN in England will be offered a free chickenpox vaccine for the first time from January 2026, the government has announced.

GP practices will give eligible children a combined vaccine for measles, mumps, rubella and varicella (MMRV) as part of the routine childhood vaccination schedule. Around half a million children each year are expected to be protected.

Keep ReadingShow less