Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Row erupts over Tory government’s choice to head Commission for Countering Extremism

The choice of Sara Khan to head the Commission for Countering Extremism has caused a lot of uproar, with many viewing her as a mouthpiece for the Home Office. It doesn't help she is a supporter of the government's Prevent anti-extremism programme. The programme, safeguard vulnerable individuals who are at risk of radicalisation, has been termed "toxic" by critics.

Former Tory chairwoman Baroness Sayeeda Warsi described it as “a deeply disturbing appointment”.


She wrote on Twitter: “Sara has unfortunately been a strong advocate of the Government’s policy of disengagement, a policy which many, including members of the police and intelligence services, consider has damaged the important battle to engage Britain’s Muslim communities.

“For the Commissioner to be effective the person had to be an independent thinker, both connected to and respected by a cross section of British Muslims. Sara is sadly seen by many as simply a creation of and mouthpiece for the Home Office.”

Labour MP Naz Shah told BBC Radio 4 that Khan "does not accept concerns in the community" around Prevent and is "unable to answer" questions about her own transparency. She also pointed out that Khan lacked experience to hold such an important post.

Khan is the co-founder of campaign organisation Inspire, and as per her website, she is one of the UK’s leading Muslim female voices on countering Islamist extremism and promoting human rights.

Plans to set up the Commission for Countering Extremism were announced last year after the Manchester bombing in May. The Commission will be involved in advising ministers on new policies and challenging all forms of extremism. It will also work towards ensuring women’s rights are upheld.

More For You

pashupatinath temple nepal

A general view of the Pashupatinath temple complex in Kathmandu on August 27, 2025.

Getty Images

Nepal court allows unclothed Hindu ascetics to enter Pashupatinath temple

NEPAL’s Supreme Court has ruled that Hindu holy men who follow the tradition of remaining unclothed cannot be barred from entering the Pashupatinath temple. The court said that nudity, when practised as a religious custom, is not the same as obscenity.

The ruling concerns the Naga sadhus, ascetics devoted to Lord Shiva who renounce family ties and worldly possessions, including clothing. Covered in ash and wearing dreadlocks, they are a familiar sight at the temple during major festivals.

Keep ReadingShow less
Modi begins Asia tour to boost ‘Make in India’ and counter US pressure

Narendra Modi addresses the audience during the launch of Maruti Suzuki's new assembly line for the Suzuki e-Vitara, Maruti's first electric car, at the Hansalpur plant, some 80 km from Ahmedabad, in India's Gujarat state on August 26, 2025. (Photo by SAM PANTHAKY/AFP via Getty Images)

Modi begins Asia tour to boost ‘Make in India’ and counter US pressure

INDIAN prime minister Narendra Modi heads overseas on Thursday (28) to meet the leaders of China, Japan and Russia, seeking to build closer diplomatic ties as New Delhi battles fallout from US president Donald Trump's escalating tariff offensive.

By drawing nearer to some of the world’s largest economies, including his first visit to China in seven years, Modi hopes to to boost support for his flagship "Make in India" initiative, mainly from Japan, as Trump's measures spur new partnerships.

Keep ReadingShow less
house rent

Currently, rental income is exempt from national insurance, which is charged at 8 per cent on employee earnings.

iStock

UK landlords could face new tax in autumn budget

THE TREASURY is considering extending national insurance to rental income in the autumn budget, a move that could raise about £2bn.

Currently, rental income is exempt from national insurance, which is charged at 8 per cent on employee earnings.

Keep ReadingShow less
 Lord Swraj Paul

Lord Paul's portrait inside the West Chapel

Eulogies offered at Lord Swraj Paul’s funeral

FAMILY and friends offered their final eulogies to Lord Swraj Paul at his funeral at Golders Green Crematorium in north London on Wednesday (27).

It had rained earlier in the morning, but by the time mourners emerged from the West Chapel after a simple and dignified 40-minute service, led by Dr MN Nandakumara, executive director of the Bhavan in West Kensington, the sun had come out.

Keep ReadingShow less
H1B programme

US Secretary of Commerce Howard Lutnick said the administration plans to change the H1B programme, widely used by Indian IT professionals, as well as the Green Card process. (Representational image: iStock)

iStock

Trump team plans changes to student visas, H1B programme and Green Card process

Highlights:

  • DHS proposes new rules to limit stay for foreign students and media personnel in the US
  • F visa “duration of status” system could be replaced with fixed terms
  • Trump team plans changes to H1B and Green Card processes
  • Proposal comes amid US-India tensions over tariffs on Russian oil

THE TRUMP administration has proposed new rules to limit how long foreign students and media personnel can stay in the United States.

Keep ReadingShow less