Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Pro-Brexit group apologises to Labour MP Naz Shah for 'grooming gangs' jibe

By S Neeraj Krishna

A BREXIT campaign group has apologised and paid damages to Labour lawmaker Naz Shah after it called her a “grooming gangs apologist” in a social media post.


The Bradford West MP had initiated libel action against Leave.EU’s “horrendous” post in December last year that spurred online hate and death threats against her.

Shah said the post had impacted her family, too, with her children asking: “Mum, why do you get so much hate, why do people hate you so much?”

In a statement issued on Thursday (1), Leave.EU said: “On December 16, 2019 we posted a Facebook post which described Naz Shah MP as a ‘grooming gangs apologist’.

“While the publication had been intended to be satirical; we appreciate that it was ill-judged and untrue. We accept that Ms Shah is not an ‘apologist’ for grooming gangs but is a vociferous campaigner for victims of grooming gangs.

“We apologise for the distress caused by it and have paid Ms Shah damages for libel.”

The post was reportedly intended to take a jibe at possible Labour leadership contenders to succeed Jeremy Corbyn.

Though the post was pulled down within a day, it went viral and its screenshots continued to be circulated among her abusive critics, said Shah.

Notably, last year, a man had been jailed for three months for sending her an email with racist slurs and threats, accusing her of antisemitism and attempting to hush up victims of the Rotherham child abuse scandal.

In June this year, the Conservative Party suspended one of its activists for saying Shah should “go back to Pakistan”.

“I’m one of the most abused MPs on Twitter because of this allegation,” the shadow minister for community cohesion added.

“It’s horrible, it’s really horrible.

“The allegation of me being a grooming apologist has been horrendous.

“The fact they’ve accepted that I’m a vociferous campaigner against grooming is important to me.

“This is the kind of stuff that’s used against people in public life and other MPs. It’s just not fair. It’s just not right for it to happen.”

After accepting the apology, Shah tweeted that she would “now focus on continuing to support women and children who are victims of abuse”.

Shah also stressed that she had never “shied away” from speaking out on grooming gangs, even before she got elected to Parliament in 2015.

“Islamic communities are absolutely appalled by it (child sexual exploitation). People I talk to are appalled by it,” she said.

“I’m on record talking about, I’ve talked about it on Asian media channels and to the community. It’s not something I’ve shied away from at all and I don’t intend to in the future.”

Shah said she could not elaborate on the damages received without legal advice, adding that she welcomed “the apology and just want to draw a line under it and get on”.

“I’m not going to let a tweet that was up there for eight minutes, which was removed, define my life and my politics,” she said.

“I’m just happy with the apology. It was never about anything else.”

More For You

Epping protests

Protesters calling for the closure of The Bell Hotel, which was housing asylum seekers, gather outside the council offices in Epping on August 8, 2025. (Photo: Getty Images)

Over a dozen councils plan legal action despite Home Office court win

Highlights:

  • Court of Appeal has overturned injunction blocking use of Epping hotel for asylum seekers.
  • Judges say human rights obligations outweigh local safety concerns.
  • At least 13 councils preparing legal action despite ruling.
  • Protests outside the Bell Hotel lead to arrests and police injuries.

MORE than a dozen councils are moving ahead with legal challenges against the use of hotels for asylum seekers despite the Home Office winning an appeal in the Court of Appeal.

Keep ReadingShow less
India-Canada-iStock

India and Canada have appointed new envoys in a step to restore diplomatic ties strained since 2023. (Representational image: iStock)

iStock

Envoys appointed as India, Canada move to restore diplomatic ties

INDIA and Canada on Thursday announced the appointment of new envoys to each other’s capitals, in a step aimed at restoring strained ties following the killing of a Sikh separatist in 2023.

India has named senior diplomat Dinesh K Patnaik as the next high commissioner to Ottawa, while Canada appointed Christopher Cooter as its new envoy to New Delhi.

Keep ReadingShow less
Rajitha Senaratne arrested

Security officers escort Sri Lankan former fisheries minister, Rajitha Senaratne (C), outside a court in Colombo on August 29, 2025. (Photo by ISHARA S. KODIKARA/AFP via Getty Images)

Getty Images

Rajitha Senaratne detained as Sri Lanka intensifies anti-corruption drive

SRI LANKAN former government minister surrendered himself to a court on Friday (29) after two months on the run, the latest high profile detention in a sweeping anti-corruption crackdown.

Anti-graft units have ramped up their investigations since president Anura Kumara Dissanayake came to power in September on a promise to fight corruption.

Keep ReadingShow less
protests-uk-getty
Protesters from the group Save Our Future & Our Kids Future demonstrate against uncontrolled immigration outside the Cladhan Hotel on August 16, 2025 in Falkirk, Scotland. (Photo: Getty Images)
Getty Images

Government wins appeal over housing asylum seekers in hotel

Highlights:

  • UK appeals court overturns ruling blocking hotel use for asylum seekers
  • Judges call earlier High Court decision “seriously flawed”
  • 138 asylum seekers will not need to be relocated by September 12
  • Full hearing scheduled at the Court of Appeal in October

A UK appeals court has overturned a lower court order that had temporarily blocked the use of a hotel in Epping, northeast of London, to house asylum seekers.

Keep ReadingShow less
UK migrant tutor posts

Seema Malhotra (Photo: Getty Images)

Government scraps tutor posts for detained migrants after backlash

HOME OFFICE minister Seema Malhotra has ordered the removal of UK government job advertisements for roles such as a balloon craft tutor, which were being offered to migrants held at a detention centre in London.

The intervention followed a report in The Sun newspaper highlighting job listings worth over £30,000 a year at the Heathrow Immigration Removal Centre (HIRC).

Keep ReadingShow less