Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

PNB scam: Mehul Choksi’s location revealed

Businessman Mehul Choksi, who is wanted for a Rs. 13,500 crore bank fraud along with his nephew Nirav Modi, has been traced to Antigua and Barbuda in the Caribbean Islands.

 “The ministry of external affairs (MEA) had been pursuing the matter with the United States government and the latter had informed that Choksi was not in the US,” a person familiar with developments told Mint. “After he was traced to Antigua, the MEA had sent the letter to both the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) and the Enforcement Directorate (ED) on Monday about Choksi’s whereabouts.”


Choksi has secured citizenship of Antigua and Barbuda, but it is not immediately known how he managed to do so as a person is considered ineligible for citizenship if he 'is the subject of a criminal investigation' or 'is a potential national security risk to Antigua and Barbuda or to any other country' or 'is involved in any activity likely to cause disrepute to Antigua and Barbuda,' reported Mint.

This development comes just a day after Choksi moved court seeking cancellation of the non-bailable warrant against him.

Choksi, through his lawyer, had also said he was unable to return to India as he feared for his life due to the recent trend of mob lynchings in the country.

"The fact that there are various reported cases of mob lynching in India and the recent trend of mob lynching is growing, it has been stated in the application that the existing employees whose salaries and dues have not been paid because of freezing of the accounts, the families of detained employees who have been arrested without any rhyme or reason, the landlords whose premises the companies had taken on rent, who have not been paid their dues, the customers whose jewellery in showroom have been taken away by the Enforcement Directorate and the creditors of supplies and services, who have not been paid their dues have grievances and anger against Mehul Choksi," said Mehul's lawyer Sanjay Abbot.

Choksi, who owns Gitanjali Gems, has not paid his employees since the scandal erupted. In February, he penned a letter to his staff members saying he won’t be able to clear his dues as his accounts were frozen.

Choksi said: “I am constrained to write the present email to you all concerned, as a situation of fear and injustice has been created against me and our organization. But, now, with false allegations levelled against me of defrauding the PNB Bank and [the ensuing] media frenzy, the situation has gone grave, which is turning graver by day.

“It is very tough for me, as of now, to be clearing your dues or to pay the future salaries, in view of the seizing of various bank accounts and other properties by the government agencies/investigating agencies,” Choksi added.

Choksi also blamed India’s investigating agencies of creating “a havoc, hell bent upon stopping the operations.”

The businessman added that he was committed to clearing the past dues of his employees once things return to normalcy.

More For You

Asda tech overhaul

Asda sales fell 0.2 per cent in the three months to June 30, 2025 (AFP via Getty Images)

AFP via Getty Images

Asda boss hails tech overhaul as key to revival despite sales slump

THE chairman of Asda has admitted the supermarket chain still faces challenges after sales slipped again over the summer, but said the completion of a major IT overhaul was crucial for its recovery.

Allan Leighton told the Times that the long-delayed technology project, called Project Future, had finally been finished after years of setbacks and costs exceeding £1 billion. The work involved separating more than 2,500 systems inherited from former owner Walmart, following Asda’s 2021 takeover by TDR Capital.

Keep ReadingShow less
JLR-Getty

A logo is pictured outside a Jaguar Land Rover new car show room in Tonbridge, south east England. (Photo: Getty Images)

Getty Images

UK car exports to US rebound after trade deal

UK VEHICLE exports to the United States rose in July after a new trade deal between London and Washington reduced tariffs, industry data showed on Thursday.

According to the Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders (SMMT), exports increased 6.8 per cent in July to nearly 10,000 units, following three consecutive months of decline.

Keep ReadingShow less
Relatives of jailed Briton appeal to UK minister in AgustaWestland row

Christian Michel

Relatives of jailed Briton appeal to UK minister in AgustaWestland row

THE family of Christian Michel, the British businessman accused of acting as a middleman in the AgustaWestland VVIP helicopter deal, has appealed to the UK government to push for his release from Delhi’s Tihar Jail.

Michel’s relatives met Foreign Office minister Catherine West in London on Tuesday (26). The Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office (FCDO) said the minister listened to their concerns and updated them on ongoing steps being taken.

Keep ReadingShow less
Blackburn loses Issa empire as brothers move EG Group to US

Zuber and Mohsin Issa (Photo: LDRS)

Blackburn loses Issa empire as brothers move EG Group to US

ASIAN entrepreneurs Mohsin and Zuber Issa are moving the headquarters of their global forecourt company, EG Group, from Blackburn to the US in preparation for a major stock market listing in New York.

The firm confirmed that its main office will relocate to Charlotte, North Carolina, while a new base in Bolton, Greater Manchester, will handle its remaining UK operations, the Telegraph reported. The change brings an end to almost 25 years of the company being run from Blackburn.

Keep ReadingShow less
Migrant hotel workers call off strike after reaching agreement

Workers at Radisson Blu hotel in Canary Wharf

Migrant hotel workers call off strike after reaching agreement

WORKERS at the Radisson Blu hotel in Canary Wharf have cancelled a planned six-week strike after reaching an agreement that met all their demands.

The group of housekeepers, most of whom are migrant women from Nepal and members of the United Voices of the World (UVW) union, were due to begin industrial action on Sunday (31). It would have been the longest hotel strike in the UK since 1979, a statement said.

Keep ReadingShow less