Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Passenger accuses EasyJet of "racially profiling" him

A PASSENGER on board easyJet from Birmingham has accused the airline of racial bias after a steward burst in on him while he was in the plane’s toilet.

British Pakistani Adil Kayani was travelling from Marrakesh in Morocco to Manchester on March 5 when the alleged incident occurred.


The 35-year-old had reportedly spent more than 15 minutes in a plane's toilet when there was a heavy knock at the door. Although he shouted “I'll be out soon, hold on a minute,” an air steward opened the door and looked in, Kayani alleged.

“I think it was racial discrimination,” he was quoted as saying. “They can see the colour of my skin. I was racially profiled. It was discrimination. I think it is Islamophobic.

“I was made to feel like a criminal. It was really humiliating for me."

He added: “That is the first time anything like that has ever happened to me. The only way I can make sense of it is because of my racial background.

“Why else was no one broken in to? It doesn't make sense.”

Kayani alleged he has turned down a £500 "goodwill gesture" from the airline following his complaint.

EasyJet said the air steward was following the company's safety procedures, and added he apologised to Kayani.

“EasyJet is sorry if Mr Kayani is unhappy; however the cabin crew correctly followed safety procedures by knocking on the toilet door and then opening it after there was no answer following a concern that a passenger had been inside for some time.

“This procedure is in place to ensure passenger safety of all passengers on board, including the well-being of the customer in the toilet.

“There is absolutely no evidence to suggest that race played a role.”

More For You

Starmer
"It is, in my view, vital that we get the Strait open and fully open, and that's where we've put all of our efforts in the last few and we'll continue to do so," Starmer said.
Getty Images

Starmer to face lawmakers as ministers defend him in Mandelson controversy

LABOUR government ministers on Sunday voiced support for prime minister Keir Starmer as he once again faces pressure over the appointment of Peter Mandelson.

Starmer is set to appear before lawmakers in parliament on Monday to explain how Mandelson was appointed Britain’s ambassador to the United States in late 2024 despite not passing security checks.

Keep ReadingShow less