Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Submit Guest Post

Pakistan’s Islamist group calls off protest after deal with government

Pakistan’s Islamist group calls off protest after deal with government

A HARDLINE Islamist group of Pakistan has called off a protest march to Islamabad after reaching a deal with the government, ending two weeks of clashes that left at least seven policemen dead and scores injured on both sides.

The Tehrik-e-Labaik Pakistan (TLP) began the march calling for the release of jailed leader Saad Rizvi and the expulsion of the France's ambassador over the publication of caricatures depicting the Prophet Mohammad in a French satirical magazine.


“An agreement for peace and betterment has been reached,” foreign minister Shah Mehmood Qureshi, who represented the government in negotiations with the TLP, told a news conference on Sunday (31).

Mufti Muneeb ur-Rehman, the main TLP negotiator, confirmed a deal had been struck and said details would emerge at a later stage, "but you will see the practical manifestations shortly".

Qureshi also declined to elaborate on the accord.

Pakistan’s National Security Committee had vowed on Friday (29) to crack down hard on the banned TLP if violent protests continued. Information minister Fawad Chaudhry said Rizvi could not be released without due judicial process being followed, and that the protesters should return home.

The protests have compounded pressure on the government of prime minister Imran Khan as it grapples with a chronic financial crisis and spiralling inflation that has squeezed household incomes hard.

The TLP, a radical Sunni Muslim group founded in 2015 to tackle actions it considers blasphemous to Islam, has mounted multiple protest marches marred by bloodshed that twice brought Islamabad to a standstill.

Previously, the government had agreed to have parliament vote on kicking out the French ambassador but backtracked, saying such an action would isolate Pakistan internationally.

In the latest protest, a march from Lahore to Islamabad along Pakistan's busiest highway, TLP militants repeatedly clashed with police, paralysing traffic as they threatened to blockade Islamabad if their demands were not met.

On Wednesday (27), four policemen were killed and hundreds wounded when militants opened fire with automatic weapons. No one has been arrested over the killings. Three policemen died in earlier clashes in Lahore.

(Reuters)

Add EasternEye As Your Trusted Source
preferred source on google news

More For You

IVF

Eleven of the 30 children have taken commercial DNA tests showing genetic ancestry from Turkey or surrounding countries.

Representational image/iStock

‘Absolutely scandalous’: 30 children feared caught up in IVF donor scandal

AT LEAST 30 children, most of them British, are feared to have been conceived through IVF in northern Cyprus using sperm or egg donors different from those selected by their parents.

The parents say they carefully chose anonymous donors based on medical history, appearance, personality, education and hobbies, but later became concerned that the requested donors had not been used, reported BBC.

Keep ReadingShow less