Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Nirav Modi extradition appeal: Suicide, Mumbai jail Covid risks in focus

FUGITIVE Indian businessman Nirav Modi could face a “substantial risk” of suicide amid an “overwhelming” impact of Covid-19 at Arthur Road Jail in Mumbai where he will be put on being exiled, the High Court of London was told in an extradition appeal hearing on Wednesday (21).

The 50-year-old disgraced diamond tycoon, who is accused of defrauding India’s Punjab National Bank of $2 billion over seven years, applied to the UK court to appeal his extradition on the basis that he wouldn’t receive a fair trial in India.


Modi’s case is the most high-profile since Vijay Mallya and if India succeeds in getting him back and face the charges, it will be seen as a victory of prime minister Narendra Modi who has always positioned himself as a leader who has zero tolerance for corruption. At a time when the prime minister’s popularity has been hit by his government’s handling of the pandemic, this will be seen as a major boost.

Modi saw the remotely held court proceedings on Wednesday from his Wandsworth Prison in south-west London. His lawyers argued for permission to appeal against his extradition ordered by district judge Sam Goozee in February and certified by British home secretary Priti Patel in April.

During the “renewal application” hearing before high court judge Martin Chamberlain, Modi’s lawyers tried to establish grounds for a full high court appeal hearing by claiming it would be oppressive to extradite him to India due to his mental condition that could lead to suicidal impulses.

Edward Fitzgerald argued that Judge Goozee made a “succession of errors” in his ruling in favour of Modi’s extradition in February, when he concluded that not only was Modi’s severe depression not unusual given his incarceration, but that he did not exhibit an immediate impulse to commit suicide.

“The District Judge was wrong to hold that there was nothing unusual about the Appellant's (Nirav Modi) mental condition; and wrong to focus on his present fitness to plead,” Fitzgerald said.

“As to the District Judge's conclusion that ‘the Applicant's condition will improve on his return' and ‘there will be an amelioration of his current conditions of detention', that finding was perverse on the evidence before him and unsustainable in the light of the new evidence. It was based on his assessment that the conditions in the prison at Arthur Road, Mumbai will be better than they are at HMP Wandsworth,” he said.

Modi’s lawyers relied on expert evidence from forensic psychiatrist Dr Andrew Forrester which was presented previously at the Westminster Magistrate’s Court in London.

“In my opinion, Nirav Modi should now be considered at substantial (meaning high), albeit not immediate, risk of suicide,” Forrester’s assessment read in his report dated August 27, 2020.

The lawyers also submitted fresh evidence to claim the pandemic is “overwhelming to the effect that the new outbreak of Covid renders the healthcare system on the brink of collapse”.

In relation to Patel’s extradition order, it was argued that she should not rely on Indian government assurances. “She [Priti Patel] failed totally to address the evidence of other breaches of commitments made to both the UK and to third states,” Fitzgerald said.

The renewal hearing is expected to conclude on Wednesday after the Crown Prosecution Service on behalf of the Indian authorities and the home secretary’s counsel make their counter-arguments against permission to appeal, with a judgment likely to come at a later date on whether the case can proceed to a full appeal hearing in the London high court.

More For You

H1B programme

US Secretary of Commerce Howard Lutnick said the administration plans to change the H1B programme, widely used by Indian IT professionals, as well as the Green Card process. (Representational image: iStock)

iStock

Trump team plans changes to student visas, H1B programme and Green Card process

Highlights:

  • DHS proposes new rules to limit stay for foreign students and media personnel in the US
  • F visa “duration of status” system could be replaced with fixed terms
  • Trump team plans changes to H1B and Green Card processes
  • Proposal comes amid US-India tensions over tariffs on Russian oil

THE TRUMP administration has proposed new rules to limit how long foreign students and media personnel can stay in the United States.

Keep ReadingShow less
Royal Mail

Company describes as the most significant redesign in its 175-year history

Getty Images

3,500 solar-powered postboxes set to transform Royal Mail across the UK

Highlights:

  • Royal Mail is rolling out 3,500 redesigned solar-powered postboxes.
  • The upgrade allows customers to post small parcels via a digital drawer.
  • The move marks the biggest redesign in the company’s 175-year history.
  • Rollout begins in Edinburgh, Nottingham, Sheffield and Manchester after successful pilots.

Royal Mail launches major redesign

Royal Mail is set to introduce 3,500 solar-powered postboxes across the UK, in what the company describes as the most significant redesign in its 175-year history. The new-look boxes, fitted with solar panels and digital technology, are designed to accommodate small parcels as well as letters.

How the new postboxes work

The redesigned boxes feature solar panels on top, aligned southwards for maximum sunlight. A barcode scanner beneath the slot activates a drop-down drawer, which can fit parcels up to the size of a shoebox. Customers will be able to access the service via the Royal Mail app, request proof of posting and track their parcels.

Keep ReadingShow less
Keir-Starmer-Getty

Pandit is the third senior Starmer aide to leave after chief of staff Sue Gray in October and director of communications Matthew Doyle in March..(Photo: Getty Images)

Getty Images

Starmer to replace top aide Nin Pandit after 10 months

PRIME MINISTER Keir Starmer is set to replace his principal private secretary Nin Pandit, who has held the role for ten months.

Pandit is the third senior aide to leave after chief of staff Sue Gray in October and director of communications Matthew Doyle in March.

Keep ReadingShow less
ChatGPT

Matt and Maria Raine filed the case in the Superior Court of California on Tuesday

iStock

'ChatGPT encouraged him to take his life': Parents of Adam Raine sue OpenAI

Highlights:

  • Matt and Maria Raine have filed a lawsuit against OpenAI following the death of their 16-year-old son, Adam.
  • The suit claims ChatGPT validated the teenager’s suicidal thoughts and failed to intervene appropriately.
  • OpenAI expressed sympathy and said it is reviewing the case.
  • The company admitted its systems have not always behaved as intended in sensitive situations.

A California couple has launched legal action against OpenAI, alleging its chatbot ChatGPT played a role in their teenage son’s suicide.

Matt and Maria Raine filed the case in the Superior Court of California on Tuesday, accusing the company of negligence and wrongful death. Their 16-year-old son, Adam, died in April 2025. It is the first known lawsuit of its kind against the artificial intelligence firm.

Keep ReadingShow less
Musk pledges to back legal cases over child sexual abuse failures
Elon Musk (Photo: Reuters)

Musk pledges to back legal cases over child sexual abuse failures

US tech billionaire Elon Musk has said he will help fund legal cases against officials he believes turned a blind eye to child sexual abuse. His intervention follows a private investigation revealing that such abuse has occurred in 85 local authorities across Britain, reported the Telegraph.

Musk posted on X that he wants to “fund legal actions against corrupt officials who aided and abetted the rape of Britain,” referencing findings from an unofficial inquiry. He encouraged victims and their families to get in touch directly through the platform.

Keep ReadingShow less