Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Myanmar's Suu Kyi hit with new criminal charge

Myanmar's ousted civilian leader Aung San Suu Kyi was hit with a fresh criminal charge on Monday, as the junta's tough crackdown on dissent rolls on.

The 75-year-old Nobel laureate has not been seen in public since being detained in the early hours of February 1 as the military deposed her government and seized power.


The generals have used increasingly brutal methods to try to quell a growing protest movement against their rule, while Suu Kyi faces a raft of criminal charges that could see her barred for life from office.

"Amay Suu has been charged again under section 25 of the natural disaster management law," lawyer Min Min Soe told AFP after a court hearing in the capital Naypyidaw, where Suu Kyi appeared by videolink.

"She has been charged in six cases altogether -- five charges in Naypyidaw and one in Yangon."

The most serious charge Suu Kyi faces falls under Myanmar's official secrets laws.

Min Min Soe said Suu Kyi, who is under house arrest in Naypyidaw, appeared in good health but it is not clear if she has any idea of the turmoil that has unfolded in Myanmar over the past two months.

Near-daily protests seeking her release and the restoration of democracy have been met with rubber bullets, live rounds and even grenades by the security forces.

More than 700 civilians have been killed in the space of just 70 days since the coup, according to the Assistance Association for Political Prisoners monitoring group, which says more than 3,000 have been arrested.

In Tamu, near Myanmar's border with India, a six-year-old girl was shot dead while walking to the shop to buy snacks on Monday morning, a local in the city told AFP.

In one of the bloodiest days of the unrest so far, on Friday more than 80 protesters were killed by security forces in the southern city of Bago.

Witnesses described seeing dead bodies piled up and then loaded into army trucks and driven away, while the UN said many of the wounded had been denied medical treatment.

The military insists it is dealing proportionately with what it says are violent agitators, while junta chief General Min Aung Hlaing told officials in Yangon they were "ensuring the strengthening of democracy", state media reported.

- Global inaction -

Despite the dangers, protesters continue to rally and Monday -- the eve of Myanmar's Buddhist new year celebrations -- saw demonstrations in the second biggest city Mandalay as well as Kalay, in the north.

In Yangon, a number of city transport buses were torched overnight.

The bloody crackdown has brought widespread international condemnation and calls for restraint -- as well as sanctions from some countries on the Myanmar armed forces and their extensive business interests.

But diplomatic bickering has hampered more concerted action, with the EU's top diplomat blaming Moscow and Beijing for blocking tough measures such as a UN arms embargo.

The crisis has seen a flare-up in clashes between the military and Myanmar's numerous ethnic rebel armies, some of which have openly backed the protest movement -- sparking fears of potential civil war.

There was fresh fighting on Monday around Momauk township in northern Kachin state between the military and the Kachin Independence Army (KIA).

Local sources told AFP that three villagers were killed by artillery fire, though it was not clear which side was responsible.

More For You

Peter Navarro

White House senior counselor for trade and manufacturing Peter Navarro speaks to reporters outside of the West Wing of the White House on August 21, 2025. (Photo: Getty Images)

Getty Images

India is 'Maharaja in tariffs', US trade advisor says

WHITE HOUSE trade adviser Peter Navarro criticised India as being a "Maharaj" in tariffs and claimed it operated a "profiteering scheme" by using discounted Russian crude oil, as a war of words between India and the US continued to escalate.

Navarro's comments came as India’s foreign minister, S Jaishankar, said the US had asked New Delhi to help stabilise global energy markets by buying Russian oil.

Keep ReadingShow less
US truck driver visa ban

Harjinder Singh (L), Harneet Singh (Photo: US Homeland Security)

US Homeland Security

US stops foreign truck driver visas after fatal crash by Indian migrant

PRESIDENT Donald Trump's administration on Thursday (21) abruptly stopped issuing US visas for truck drivers after a fatal crash earlier this month involving an Indian immigrant drew national attention.

Three people died on a highway in Florida when Harjinder Singh made an illegal U-turn on August 12. Singh allegedly entered the US illegally from Mexico and failed an English examination after the crash, federal officials said.

Keep ReadingShow less
protests-uk-getty

Protesters from the group Save Our Future & Our Kids Future demonstrate against uncontrolled immigration outside the Cladhan Hotel on August 16, 2025 in Falkirk, Scotland. (Photo: Getty Images)

Getty Images

Protests planned at asylum hotels as tensions rise

PROTESTS are expected outside hotels being used to house asylum seekers across England this weekend, with counter-demonstrations also planned.

Figures released on Thursday showed more than 32,000 asylum seekers are currently in hotels, an 8 per cent rise during Labour’s first year in office.

Keep ReadingShow less
Lord Swraj Paul, “man of steel", passes away at 94

Swraj Paul in his office in Caparo House in Baker Street London in November 2021

Lord Swraj Paul, “man of steel", passes away at 94

Lord Swraj Paul, who was one of the defining figures of the last half century in Indo-British relations and who was fond of saying, “I’m 100 per cent Indian and 100 per cent British,” died in hospital in London on Thursday, his family said.

Although he had been in poor health for some time, he celebrated his 94th birthday with some style on 18 February 2025 with a gala party at the Indian Gymkhana Club in London.

Keep ReadingShow less
Vladimir Putin shakes hands with Indian foreign minister Subrahmanyam Jaishankar

Russian president Vladimir Putin shakes hands with Indian foreign minister Subrahmanyam Jaishankar during a meeting in Moscow, Russia August 21, 2025. Sputnik/Sergei Karpukhin/Pool via REUTERS

India, Russia vow stronger trade ties despite US pressure

INDIA and Russia agreed to boost trade ties on Thursday (21) as their foreign ministers met in Moscow, giving little indication that US president Donald Trump's hefty tariffs on India for buying Russian oil would disrupt their relations.

Indian goods face additional US tariffs of up to 50 per cent, among the highest imposed by Washington, due to New Delhi's increased purchases of Russian oil.

Keep ReadingShow less