No Indian star has made a bigger splash in Hollywood than Priyanka Chopra -- and the Baywatch actress told AFP she is on a quest to shatter myths about Bollywood, including its approach to sex.
Chopra was the first Indian actress to lead a primetime US series with FBI thriller Quantico, and cemented her global celebrity status by marrying pop singer Nick Jonas last December.
That star power secured a glitzy, red-carpet slot at Toronto's film festival for The Sky is Pink, Chopra's first Hindi-language film in three years. It is the only Asian film on the prestigious gala lineup at North America's biggest movie festival.
"People get surprised when they see The Sky is Pink and they're like, 'this is not a Bollywood movie.' Bollywood is not a genre!" Chopra told AFP ahead of the premiere Friday.
"It really is my quest to educate people in that."
Directed by Shonali Bose, The Sky is Pink tells the tragic true story of Aisha Chaudhary, an inspirational Delhi teenager whose life was cut short by a rare genetic disorder.
Chaudhary delivered a TED talk and wrote a book on her battle before her death in 2015 at the age of 18. But the film focuses on her parents, exploring how their marriage and love -- and even their sex life -- survived the loss of two children.
Until recently kissing was rarely shown in films made by conservative Bollywood, better known abroad for its colorful musical numbers and fairytale romantic plots.
- 'Dying wish' -
"I don't think we haven't spoken about sexuality in Indian films -- we do," said Chopra, 37. "I think sexuality is spoken about in many different ways in Indian cinema."
"It's culturally sensitive, yes," she added. "India is an amalgamation of modernity and tradition. And this film is made by a modern Indian. So hence, you see what her language is. This is true to who she is."
Bose, whose own marriage ended after she lost her son, was approached by Chaudhary's parents to make the film.
Chaudhary had been a fervent fan of the director's work, and never fulfilled her "dying wish" to see Bose's previous film Margarita With A Straw.
Bose told AFP she was moved by the request but chose to focus on the parents after learning of their "amazing" love story and care for their child.
"They wanted the film to be about their heroic dying teenage girl, and I don't feel she would've wanted to be on a pedestal -- actually she was really cool and humble," she said.
Chopra, who does not have children, said she drew on others' experiences, including Bose's, to play Chaudhary's mother Aditi.
But there is plenty of Chopra in the role too. At one point her character is described as "the 'almost' Miss India." Chopra herself was crowned Miss World in 2000.
- Global outlook -
As beauty pageants led to acting, Chopra, who attended school in the US, said she held onto her global outlook.
Also a singer, Chopra has released songs with US chart-toppers including Pitbull and The Chainsmokers.
"It's a genuine quest of mine to be able to cross-pollinate cultures, and to be able to take Indian cinema to the globe as much as I can," she said, adding: "It's not the language that's the barrier -- it is the fear of the unknown."
Movie-mad India has the largest film industry in the world in terms of the number produced -- up to 2,000 every year in more than 20 languages, according to industry data.
Bollywood star Akshay Kumar regularly appears in Forbes' annual list of the world's top 10 highest-paid actors.
In recent years Bollywood's influence has spread in North America, thanks to a growing, affluent South Asian diaspora -- and a smattering of Western converts.
But while other Bollywood actors and actresses have landed high-profile roles in the US, such as Deepika Padukone in 2017's XXX: Return of Xander Cage, none are as recognizable as Chopra.
"I really hope that there's so many more entertainers from India that get the opportunity and push themselves towards global entertainment," said Chopra.
"The world of entertainment is so global now," she added. "With streaming coming in everyone from anywhere can watch anything."
BOLLYWOOD filmmaker Aditya Chopra was last Thursday (21) named among the nominees of the UK Stage Debut Awards for his Come Fall in Love – The DDLJ Musical, performed at Manchester’s Opera House earlier this year.
Chopra delivered a blockbuster in 1995 with Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge, popular as DDLJ, with Kajol and Shah Rukh Khan in the lead roles. It was adapted to a theatrical production and had its UK premiere in May.
Chopra reprised his role as director of the English stage production, which revolves around the love story of Simran and Roger.
Shah Rukh Khan visits the cast of Come Fall in Love The DDLJ Musical during rehearsals in London Danny Kaan
“This year’s nominees embody the future of British theatre, and I can’t wait to celebrate their achievements,” said Alistair Smith, editor of The Stage theatrical publication.
“This year there are several individuals with south Asian heritage being recognised for their excellence in directing: among the nominees is Amit Sharma for Ryan Calais Cameron’s Retrograde (in the Best Creative West End Debut category),” said the awards panel in a statement.
Also nominated are Adam Karim for Guards at the Taj at the Orange Tree Theatre, London, and visionary Indian filmmaker Aditya Chopra for Come Fall In Love at Manchester’s Opera House, who are both in the running for the best director category, the statement added.
By clicking the 'Subscribe’, you agree to receive our newsletter, marketing communications and industry
partners/sponsors sharing promotional product information via email and print communication from Garavi Gujarat
Publications Ltd and subsidiaries. You have the right to withdraw your consent at any time by clicking the
unsubscribe link in our emails. We will use your email address to personalize our communications and send you
relevant offers. Your data will be stored up to 30 days after unsubscribing.
Contact us at data@amg.biz to see how we manage and store your data.
John Alford, 53, is accused of sexually abusing two girls aged 14 and 15 at a Hertfordshire party in 2022.
Charges include sexual activity with a child, sexual assault and assault by penetration.
Prosecutors allege both girls were drunk when the incidents occurred.
Alford, whose real name is John Shannon, denies all allegations.
The trial is taking place at St Albans Crown Court.
Former London’s Burning actor John Alford is on trial accused of sexually abusing two teenage girls at a house party in Hertfordshire on 9 April 2022.
The 53-year-old, from Holloway, north London, faces four counts of sexual activity with a 14-year-old and two charges involving a 15-year-old girl, including sexual assault and assault by penetration. He has denied all the charges.
Opening the case at St Albans Crown Court, prosecutor Julie Whitby told jurors that Alford, charged under his real name John Shannon, was “in no doubt” both girls were under 16.
Jurors heard that Alford and another man, the father of a third girl, arrived at the house in the early hours of the morning. Alford later returned from a petrol station with a bottle of vodka.
The prosecution said he asked the 14-year-old to sit on his lap, behaviour she described as “a bit strange”, before the alleged assaults took place in the garden and later in a toilet.
In a police interview played to the court, the girl said: “He raped me”, claiming she asked him to stop several times. She also told officers it was the first time she had had sex.
A 15-year-old girl also accused Alford of sexual assault. The court heard that both alleged victims had consumed “a fair amount of vodka” on the night in question and did not immediately disclose the incidents.
The matter came to light after the 15-year-old’s mother made a report to police two days later.
In a statement given to police, Alford denied the allegations, claiming one of the girls had told him she was 17 and had tried to kiss him. He insisted: “At no point did I touch her in any sexual way whatsoever.”
He also alleged that the two girls were attempting to extort money from him, but prosecutors said no evidence to support this claim was found on phones seized from either the complainants or the defendant.
The case continues at St Albans Crown Court, where jurors will hear further evidence in the coming days.
Keep ReadingShow less
Shah Rukh Khan and Deepika Padukone have been listed in the complaint as brand ambassadors of Hyundai
An FIR has been registered in Bharatpur against Shah Rukh Khan, Deepika Padukone and Hyundai officials.
A local resident alleges his Hyundai Alcazar SUV, bought in 2022, developed major defects.
The case includes fraud and conspiracy charges under IPC and Bharatiya Nyaya Sanhita.
Both actors, Hyundai brand ambassadors, are accused of misleading consumers.
Neither Shah Rukh Khan nor Deepika Padukone’s teams have responded yet.
Legal case filed in Bharatpur
Bollywood actors Shah Rukh Khan and Deepika Padukone are facing legal trouble after an FIR was filed against them in Bharatpur, Rajasthan. The complaint, registered on 25 August at Mathura Gate police station, also names six Hyundai officials.
The case stems from allegations made by Kirti Singh, a Bharatpur resident, who claimed his Hyundai Alcazar SUV, purchased in 2022 for more than ₹23 lakh, developed serious technical issues within months. He further alleged that repeated attempts to get the company to address the problems were unsuccessful.
Court intervention leads to FIR
Singh initially approached police but his grievance was not registered. He then moved the court, which directed police to take action. Following this, an FIR was lodged under sections 420 (cheating), 406 (criminal breach of trust) and 120B (criminal conspiracy) of the Indian Penal Code, along with provisions of the Bharatiya Nyaya Sanhita.
The named Hyundai officials include Managing Director Anso Kim, COO Tarun Garg, Malwa Auto Sales Pvt Ltd Managing Director Nitin Sharma and Director Priyanka Sharma.
Brand ambassadors named in complaint
In addition to Hyundai executives, Shah Rukh Khan and Deepika Padukone have been listed in the complaint as brand ambassadors of Hyundai. The petitioner argued that by endorsing the brand, the actors promoted a defective product and misled consumers.
As of now, neither Khan nor Padukone’s representatives have issued a statement regarding the FIR.
Upcoming projects for the actors
Away from the controversy, both stars have busy film schedules. Shah Rukh Khan will next appear in King alongside his daughter Suhana Khan, directed by Siddharth Anand. The film reportedly features a large ensemble cast including Jackie Shroff, Anil Kapoor, Rani Mukerji and Deepika Padukone.
Padukone was most recently seen in Rohit Shetty’s Singham Again. She will next star in Atlee’s sci-fi action project AA22xA6, alongside Allu Arjun.
Keep ReadingShow less
Swift’s choice of So High School—widely believed to be inspired by Kelce—added a personal touch
Taylor Swift announced engagement to American footballer Travis Kelce via Instagram.
Kelce proposed in Lee’s Summit, Missouri, surrounded by floral displays.
Swift showcased a cushion-cut diamond ring from Artifex Fine Jewellery.
Fans and celebrities, including the Prince and Princess of Wales, reacted with excitement.
Taylor Swift confirms engagement with Instagram Post
Taylor Swift has announced her engagement to American football player Travis Kelce, sharing the news on Instagram with a carousel of images and the caption: “Your English teacher and your gym teacher are getting married.” The post, accompanied by her ballad So High School, quickly went viral, gaining more than 18 million likes within hours.
The photos show Kelce on one knee, Swift wearing a Ralph Lauren halter-neck dress and a Cartier watch, and the singer flashing her cushion-cut diamond engagement ring. According to reports, the ring was purchased from Artifex Fine Jewellery, with prices beginning at around $29,000 (£21,500).
A garden proposal in Missouri
Kelce’s father, Ed, revealed to ABC’s News 5 Cleveland that the proposal had taken place nearly two weeks earlier in Lee’s Summit, Missouri. He explained that his son arranged a private moment in a garden before dinner, where he asked Swift to marry him.
The setting featured roses, hydrangeas, delphiniums and anemones, styled to evoke a “hidden secret garden” according to celebrity florist Jeff Leatham.
A nod to fans through music and captions
Swift’s choice of So High School—widely believed to be inspired by Kelce—added a personal touch. Fans noted that the caption itself echoed an inside joke from the Swiftie community, where the couple have been affectionately likened to an English teacher and a gym teacher.
Dr Iona Murphy, an English literature lecturer and Swift fan, described the post as a “full-circle moment”, noting the lyrical reference and nod to fandom culture.
Global reaction from fans and public figures
Fans around the world reacted with delight, sharing videos of themselves screaming, crying, or celebrating in disbelief. Many described Swift’s announcement as a “pop emergency”, with some joking that they were celebrating their “close friend’s” engagement.
Public figures also joined in: the Prince and Princess of Wales liked the post, while US President Donald Trump wished the couple well despite past criticism of Swift. Celebrity chef Gordon Ramsay playfully congratulated the pair on Instagram, writing, “From one ring to the next… congrats @killatrav & @taylorswift !”
Swift’s love life has long fascinated both fans and the media, often reflected in her music. This engagement feels different, according to fans, because Kelce is seen as a partner who embraces her success rather than being intimidated by it.
One fan account holder told the BBC: “We’ve seen a lot of boyfriends over the years, some we liked and some we didn’t. Travis loves her proudly, and that’s what makes fans so happy.”
Keep ReadingShow less
Lilly Singh reveals she’s been diagnosed with ovarian cysts
NETFLIX has expanded its cast for Best of the Best, a coming-of-age film set around competitive Bollywood dancing, with comedian Lilly Singh joining in.
Hasan Minhaj and Prashanth Venkataramanujam have penned the story, about what happens when two childhood friends join the Bollywood dance team at their college. Minhaj will also act.
Never Have I Ever star Maitreyi Ramakrishnan, Priyanka Kedia, Ankur Rathee, who acted in Four More Shots Please and Chaneil Kular from the streamer’s original Sex Education are in the movie along with Shreya Navile, Becky Alex, Janina Gavankar, Nihar Duvvuri, Nico Greetham, Saara Chaudry, Amryn Khurana, Tanishq Joshi and Sasha Bhasin.
The film will be directed by Lena Khan, who has previously worked as a director on Never Have I Ever.
It will be produced by Minhaj and Venkataramanujam under 186k films.