Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Submit Guest Post

Memorial for Grenfell victims at St Paul's Cathedral

SURVIVORS of the Grenfell Tower fire that killed 71 people six months ago in west London will join firefighters and members of the royal family at a national memorial service at St Paul's Cathedral this morning (14).

The blaze broke out in middle of the night on June 14 and quickly gutted the 24-storey social housing block, which was home to a close-knit, multi-ethnic community living in a poor area in Kensington and Chelsea, one of London's richest boroughs.


The disaster highlighted extreme disparities in living conditions between rich and poor and raised a debate in the UK over whether disdain for social housing residents had played a part.

"Hosting this service at St Paul's Cathedral, an iconic venue in London, recognises the significance of this tragedy both for the local community and the wider nation," said Graham Tomlin, the bishop of Kensington, ahead of the service.

Prime minister Theresa May, Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn, Prince Charles and his sons Prince William and Prince Harry are all expected to attend the service.

However, members of Kensington and Chelsea council, which owns Grenfell Tower and has been widely criticised for its actions before and after the fire, have been asked not to attend because survivors and bereaved families do not want them there.

"I totally respect that," council leader Elizabeth Campbell told the BBC earlier this week. "We will be paying our own respects in the council with a minute's silence."

Hundreds of people displaced by the fire, both those who lived in the tower itself and others who lived in nearby buildings, are still staying in hotels six months later as the council has so far been unable to permanently rehouse them.

Campbell has defended the council, saying it was doing everything it could to secure quality homes for affected families, but members of the Grenfell community who have spoken to media have complained of a slow, confusing process.

"I am sorry. I'm sorry that they're in hotels," said Campbell.

Earlier this week, survivors and relatives of the victims of the fire delivered a petition to the prime minister demanding an "impartial" investigation with additional diverse panel members.

Signed by 16,000 people, the document was delivered to Downing Street on Tuesday (12).

It called for a panel from diverse backgrounds to assist in the probe into the fire.

Police are conducting a criminal investigation into the fire and have said that charges may be brought against individuals or organisations. A separate public inquiry is under way on the causes of the fire and the authorities' response.

Add EasternEye As Your Trusted Source
preferred source on google news

More For You

UK Deficit

Higher tax receipts were not enough to prevent a UK government deficit in July

iStock

Britain collected more tax in July. So why did the government still run a deficit?

  • The government collected £17.1 billion in self-assessment tax in July.
  • Public sector borrowing still reached £1.8 billion, against expectations of a balanced month.
  • Total government debt has climbed to almost £3 trillion, adding pressure ahead of the October Budget.

Britain collected £17.1 billion in self-assessment tax in July, £1.7 billion more than a year earlier. Yet the government still ended the month with a £1.8 billion deficit, raising fresh questions about how much room chancellor John Healey will have when he delivers his first Budget on October 28.

July is normally one of the better months for the public finances because self-assessment tax payments give Treasury receipts a seasonal boost. Economists had expected the government's finances to be roughly balanced. Instead, spending grew faster than income.

Keep ReadingShow less