Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Man accepts responsibility for killing Sabina Nessa

Man accepts responsibility for killing Sabina Nessa

A man has accepted responsibility of having killed primary school teacher Sabina Nessa.

Nessa, 28, was found dead in cator park, Kidbrooke in south-east London on 18 September, a day after she went from her home to meet a friend at a nearby bar.


Koci Selamaj, 36, of Terminus Road, Eastbourne appearing at the Old Bailey pleaded not guilty for the murder.

However, the court heard he accepted responsibility for her killing.

According to the prosecutors who had earlier told the court that garage worker Selamaj had travelled from his home to carry out the "premeditated and predatory" attack on the teacher on 17 September.

Nessa, who taught at Rushey Green Primary School in Catford, was repeatedly struck with a 2ft long weapon, the prosecutors said. It is belived Selamaj was a stranger to the victim.

Her body was discovered in a part close to a community centre, covered in grass.

As reported, addressing defence barrister Aidan Harvey, senior judge Justice Wall asked: "Is there any dispute your client killed Ms Nessa?"

"There is not, my Lord. He accepts he killed her," Harvey replied.

The defendant, assisted by an Albanian interpreter spoke only to confirm his identity and enter a not guilty plea. He has been remanded to custody, with next hearing scheduled for 25 February.

While a trial of up to five weeks was set for 7 June.

More For You

Hong Kong fire

More than 4,600 people live in the estate, which was covered in bamboo scaffolding and green mesh as part of renovation works. (Photo: Getty Images)

Death toll in Hong Kong high-rise fire reaches 128; around 200 still missing


THE DEATH toll from Hong Kong’s worst fire in nearly 80 years rose to 128 on Friday, while about 200 people remained missing from the high-rise residential complex that was engulfed by flames, according to the city’s security chief.

The blaze began on Wednesday afternoon in the Wang Fuk Court development in Tai Po. The estate has eight towers, each 32 storeys high, and the fire spread through the buildings soon after it started.

Keep ReadingShow less