LONDON mayor Sadiq Khan on Tuesday (12) announced his Violence Reduction Unit (VRU) is to invest a further £9 million in its flagship community-led programme to tackle violence and deliver positive opportunities for young people.
The VRU’s MyEnds programme provides support and funding for communities to lead and deliver interventions in neighbourhoods affected by high and sustained levels of violence across London.
The mayor’s boost in funding means the VRU can build on the programme, which has been delivered in eight areas of London: Brent, Croydon, Hackney, Haringey, Lambeth, Newham, Southwark and Tower Hamlets.
It comes as new VRU data shows that in its first year, the MyEnds programme:
Delivered more than 120 local interventions; and
Benefited 3,100 young people and community members
Interventions included:
1331 after-school activities delivered to support young people
1900 mentoring sessions delivered as part of an intervention
The new funding will allow the VRU to learn and build on the promising first year of the programme and invest £9m over the next three years in communities and neighbourhoods.
The Violence Reduction Unit will work with the current eight consortiums and the local authorities to ensure the programme is even more effective and will continue to use evidence and intelligence to ensure projects are operating in the areas they are needed most.
Alongside this, due to increased funding from the mayor, the VRU is investing a further £3.9 million over the next three years in its programme to tackle online harms, which provides training for frontline practitioners to better understand and support young people when online and using social media.
Initial data shows that last year 255 frontline practitioners, which includes youth workers, police, and others, completed training. Out of those who took part, 94 per cent had increased understanding of social media and how young people engage with it, while 9 out of 10 had increased understanding of safeguarding risks online.
The new funding is in response to a report published by the VRU last year that looked at the impact on young people who were exposed to explicit content online. Research revealed that during lockdown, two-thirds of young people interviewed had seen content online that was either violent or explicit.*
On Tuesday, Khan visited the MyEnds group in Lambeth. The consortium works with communities on the Angell Town, Loughborough and Moorlands estates. Sadiq got to see first-hand some of the work being done by local community-led groups, including Ebony Horse Club, which uses horse riding, care and youth work as positive diversionary paths away from violence, and the ML Community Enterprise, which delivers programmes, youth work and mentoring at the Marcus Lipton Youth Club in Brixton.
“Tackling violence and making our city safer is my number one priority. My approach in London has been to be both tough on violence and tough on the complex causes of violence. I’ve supported the police by putting 1,300 more officers on our streets to help suppress violence in local areas and have helped to elevate police officer numbers to their highest levels in history," Khan said, adding, “I set up London’s Violence Reduction Unit in 2019 to lead an approach to tackling violence that is rooted in prevention and early intervention. I’ve continued to back this approach and, this year, my VRU is working to support and provide positive opportunities for 70,000 young Londoners.
“Thanks to our approach, we have seen some progress. There is still a lot more to do, but London is now bucking the national trend, with violent crime falling since 2016.
“My new funding means that the VRU can build on the early progress of the neighbourhood-focused MyEnds programme by giving communities the backing and support to deliver solutions to reduce violence - both now and in the long-term.”
Lib Peck, director of London’s VRU, said, “We believe violence is preventable, not inevitable. We listen to local people and work alongside communities to deliver change, reduce violence and support young people and families.
“A key part of our approach is to learn from research and local intelligence to test what works and then build on it.
“Our eight MyEnds groups are beginning to deliver important interventions, and research we’ve published today backs up why we give communities the resources and support they need to deliver neighbourhood solutions to violence.
“It’s really important to have the continued support and funding from the Mayor that allows us to work in partnership with others across London as we strive to deliver the sustained reductions in violence we all want to see in our city.”
Margaret Pierre, co-CEO of ML Community Enterprise at Marcus Lipton Youth Centre, said: “The My Ends programme has enabled our organisations to have deeper connections with the communities we serve and statutory organisations including the police, local authority and smaller grassroots organisations, where we have built trust and improved communication.
“My Ends has given us the opportunity to develop a new approach to address serious violence in the Coldharbour Area where local organisations, the community and statutory partners can work together and begin to tackle violence. Thereby maximising on the resources and assets available to affect change for young people in the Coldharbour area.
“This foundation, which includes developing Young Leaders and building community capacity, will be the legacy that Ecosystem Coldharbour will leave behind at the end of the two years. We hope that the new relationships, networks and partnerships developed by Ecosystem will be built on to impact violence in the area.”
Abdoul Lelo Ndambi, a Youth Leader at Marcus Lipton Youth Centre, said: “MyEnds introduced me to people that are like me, who would love to see change in our community. Some of them live very close but without MyEnds we wouldn’t have known that we weren’t alone in this. We've built foundations that will pave our way to make the changes we would like to see.”
Sidony Holdsworth, COO at Ebony Horse Club, said: “Here at Ebony we are constantly working to improve the lives of young people across Lambeth. We believe that access to opportunity shouldn’t be dictated by postcode, or by background. By giving access to horses we seek to improve the physical and mental well-being of our young people, but also develop key life skills – confidence, empathy, resilience.
“Being a part of the MyEnds consortium means that we can harness the power we have in our community, and work collaboratively towards building better outcomes for our young people and their support networks.”
LONDON Underground staff will stage a series of rolling strikes for seven days next month in a dispute over pay and working conditions, the RMT union said on Thursday.
The walkouts will begin on September 5 and involve different groups of staff taking action at different times. The dispute covers pay, shift patterns, fatigue management and plans for a shorter working week, according to the RMT.
Separately, workers on the Docklands Light Railway will also strike in the week beginning September 7. The DLR connects Canary Wharf and the City of London.
RMT General Secretary Eddie Dempsey said, "Our members ... are not after a King's ransom, but fatigue and extreme shift rotations are serious issues impacting on our members health and wellbeing."
He added that the union would keep engaging with London Underground in an effort to reach a negotiated agreement.
By clicking the 'Subscribe’, you agree to receive our newsletter, marketing communications and industry
partners/sponsors sharing promotional product information via email and print communication from Garavi Gujarat
Publications Ltd and subsidiaries. You have the right to withdraw your consent at any time by clicking the
unsubscribe link in our emails. We will use your email address to personalize our communications and send you
relevant offers. Your data will be stored up to 30 days after unsubscribing.
Contact us at data@amg.biz to see how we manage and store your data.
US president Donald Trump (L) and Secretary of State Marco Rubio in the Oval Office of the White House on July 16, 2025, in Washington, D.C. (Photo by Anna Moneymaker/Getty Images)
LEGAL migrants in the US who hold visas to live and work in the country are subject to continuous review, especially students, the State Department cautioned on Thursday (21).
There are 55 million foreigners with valid documents to live in the US.
“The State Department revokes visas any time there are indications of a potential ineligibility, which includes things like any indicators of overstays, criminal activity, threats to public safety, engaging in any form of terrorist activity or providing support to a terrorist organization,” a State Department official said.
“The Department's continuous vetting includes all of the more than 55 million foreigners who currently hold valid US visas," the official added.
Speaking on customary condition of anonymity, the official said that administration of president Donald Trump has increased scrutiny, in particular, for students.
The State Department previously said it had revoked 6,000 visas since secretary of state Marco Rubio took office in January with Trump.
That figure marks four times as many student visas as president Joe Biden's administration revoked in the same period the previous year, according to the State Department.
Rubio has argued that the administration has the right to issue and revoke visas without judicial review and that non-US citizens do not enjoy the US constitutional right to free speech.
Keep ReadingShow less
Protesters from the group Save Our Future & Our Kids Future demonstrate against uncontrolled immigration outside the Cladhan Hotel on August 16, 2025 in Falkirk, Scotland. (Photo: Getty Images)
MINISTERS will appeal a court decision earlier this week that barred the UK government from accommodating asylum seekers in a hotel, security minister Dan Jarvis said on Friday (22).
The high court on Tuesday (19) granted a temporary injunction to stop migrants from staying at the Bell Hotel in Epping, northeast of London, following several weeks of protests outside the hotel, some of them violent.
There were protests after a resident was charged with sexually assaulting a 14-year-old girl.
Jarvis said on Friday, "We've made a commitment that we will close all of the asylum hotels by the end of this parliament, but we need to do that in a managed and ordered way.
"And that's why we'll appeal this decision."
A total of 111,084 people applied for asylum in the UK in the year to June 2025 - the highest number ever.
Latest official data showed there were 32,345 asylum seekers being housed temporarily in UK hotels at the end of March.
It was under the previous Conservative government that migrants were accommodated in hotels.
Jarvis said, "This government will close all asylum hotels and we will clear up the mess that we inherited from the previous government.”
Since Tuesday's injunction, a number of councils across the country controlled by Labour, the Conservatives and Reform UK have also said they are mulling legal challenges to block the use of hotels in their areas.
Prime minister Sir Keir Starmer has pledged to end the costly practice of housing the thousands of asylum seekers arriving in small boats in hotels around the country, but has said it will be done in a gradual manner.
Immigration has overtaken the economy as the number one issue for the British public, according to at least two regular trackers of voters' concerns.
Keep ReadingShow less
The majority of Indian students came for postgraduate-level courses. (Photo: Getty Images)
INDIANS granted visas to study at UK universities continued to decline, according to the latest Home Office statistics released on Thursday (21). The majority of Indian students came for postgraduate-level courses, mainly Master’s degrees.
In the year ending June 2025, Indian students were issued 98,014 visas, placing them just behind Chinese students, who received 99,919. Both groups recorded a fall compared with the previous year, with Indian numbers down 11 per cent and Chinese numbers down seven per cent.
The Home Office said, “The trend in sponsored study visas in recent years has been mainly driven by those coming to study for a Master’s… In the year ending March 2025, four out of five (81 per cent) Indian students came to the UK to study for a Master’s level qualification, compared to just over half (59 per cent) of Chinese students.”
Alongside this decline, the figures also revealed a sharp increase in Indian nationals held in immigration detention. The number almost doubled over the past year, with 2,715 Indians recorded under the UK’s immigration law breach. Most were later released on bail.
Overall immigration, both legal and illegal, fell by 30 per cent compared with the previous year. This was largely due to a reduction in work visas, a category historically dominated by Indian applicants.
UK home secretary Yvette Cooper said the government was “bringing legal migration back under control”, pointing to a 48 per cent fall in work visas this year. She added that tougher visa rules and higher skill requirements outlined in the government’s White Paper are expected to bring numbers down further.
The University of Oxford’s Migration Observatory analysed Home Office data and noted that asylum claims from people who originally entered the UK on study or work visas have risen since Brexit five years ago. Among these claimants, Pakistanis and Bangladeshis ranked highest, with Indians placed sixth.
Dr Madeleine Sumption, director of the Migration Observatory, said: “There are several potential explanations for recent increases in asylum applications, although there isn’t enough evidence to be sure which have been most important. They include the intensification of smuggling activity, particularly across the English Channel, larger numbers of people claiming asylum after arriving on visas, and a greater number of pending and recently refused asylum seekers in Europe.”
The observatory said that the overall drop in visas — down 403,000 or 32 per cent — was mainly the result of fewer dependants of students and skilled workers being granted entry after stricter rules were introduced.
(PTI)
Keep ReadingShow less
Khan, 72, in a social media post following the verdict, said the end of the 'night of oppression' in his country was near. (Photo: Getty Images)
PAKISTAN's Supreme Court on Thursday granted bail to former prime minister Imran Khan in eight cases linked to the May 9 violence.
The violence erupted on May 9, 2023, when Khan’s supporters engaged in vandalism and rioting after his detention by law enforcement in Islamabad. Multiple cases were registered against Khan and leaders of his Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI) party for their alleged involvement.
A three-member bench of the apex court, headed by Chief Justice Yahya Afridi, granted bail after hearing arguments from Khan’s lawyer Salman Safdar and Punjab Special Prosecutor Zulfiqar Naqvi, who represented the state.
Khan, 72, in a social media post following the verdict, said the end of the “night of oppression” in his country was near.
“My message to the entire nation, to my workers and to the party leadership is that your captain is still standing tall with his head held high. Have no fear," Khan said.
“We must not, under any circumstances, bow our heads down before tyranny and oppression. Remember -- no matter how long and dark the night may be, dawn is certain to break. The end of this night of oppression is near. God willing, the sun of justice and freedom will soon rise," he said.
PTI welcomed the ruling with the hashtag “Victory For Imran Khan” on X. Its international spokesman Zulfiqar Bukhari said Khan now required bail in just one case.
“Supreme Court has granted bail to Imran Khan for May 9th cases, now bail is needed for just one more case (Al Qadir case) for Mr Khan to come out of jail,” he said.
Bukhari added that despite the relief, Khan would not be released because of his conviction in the Al-Qadir Trust case.
Khan had earlier filed a bail petition before a Lahore anti-terrorism court in cases related to the May 9 riots, including the attack on the Lahore corps commander’s residence, but it was dismissed in November 2024. His plea was later rejected by the Lahore High Court on June 24 this year. Khan then challenged the decision in the Supreme Court.
The former prime minister continues to face multiple other cases filed against him after his ouster from office in April 2022. He has been imprisoned since August 2023 and is serving a sentence in the 190 million pounds Al-Qadir graft case at Adiala Jail in Rawalpindi.