Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Submit Guest Post

J&J States Indian Drug Authorities Visited Its Facilities To Take Talc Samples

Indian drug authorities visited some of Johnson & Johnson's (J&J) facilities on Wednesday (19) and took "tests and samples" of its talcum powder, the company said in a statement.

The visits came as regulators in India launched an investigation into J&J's Baby Powder following a Reuters report last week that the firm knew for decades that cancer-causing asbestos could be found in the product.


The company told Reuters in a statement that the facilities were visited by the Central Drugs Standard Control Organization (CDSCO) and some state-based food and drug administrations (FDAs).

"Today, a few of our facilities were visited by the CDSCO and local FDA authorities and we are fully co-operating with them by providing tests and samples," the J&J statement said.

"The characterization of these visits as 'raids' or 'seizures' is incorrect as has been reported in some instances," it said. "The tests have been conducted in the regular way that the FDA collects samples."

J&J added that the safety of its cosmetic talc was based on a long history of safe use and decades of research and clinical evidence by independent researchers and scientific review boards across the world.

It also said Indian FDAs and the CDSCO have in the past confirmed that its products "comply with Indian standards and are free of asbestos".

Quoting an industry source with knowledge of the matter, Reuters reported earlier in the day that drug inspectors had taken samples of Baby Powder from its Baddi factory in the northern Indian state of Himachal Pradesh.

A source at the CDSCO said its officials lifted samples for testing from nine Indian cities- Mumbai, Chennai, Kolkata, Ahmedabad, Hyderabad, Bengaluru, Indore, Chandigarh, and Ghaziabad.

J&J did not immediately specify how many manufacturing plants the company has in India.

A CDSCO spokeswoman did not respond to a request for comment.

Surendranath Sai, a regional drug officer in the southern state of Telangana, on Wednesday said he would instruct inspectors to collect samples there.

"On the basis of the news report, we are alerting staff to pick up samples. We will test them in a drug control lab here," said Sai. "We will take action accordingly. Certainly we are worried because millions of babies may be affected."

Earlier, the Times of India quoted an official source as saying 100 drug inspectors had been assigned to examine different manufacturing facilities, wholesalers and distributors linked to J&J India, starting early on Wednesday.

A health ministry spokeswoman declined to comment when contacted by Reuters. However, a senior official at the ministry said the report was worrying.

"We are concerned about it and will take action," the official told Reuters, declining to be identified due to the matter's sensitivity. The official did not elaborate on what kind of action the ministry could take.

A Reuters examination of company memos, internal reports and other confidential documents, as well as deposition and trial testimony, showed that from at least 1971 to the early 2000s, J&J's raw talc and finished powders sometimes tested positive for small amounts of asbestos.

It also showed that company executives, mine managers, scientists, doctors and lawyers fretted over how to address the problem while failing to disclose it to regulators or the public.

The documents also depicted successful efforts to influence US regulators' plans regarding limiting asbestos in cosmetic talc products and scientific research on talc's health effects.

J&J said on Monday (17) that it planned to buy back up to $5 billion of its stock, after $40bn was wiped from its market value following the Reuters report.

Reuters

Add EasternEye As Your Trusted Source
preferred source on google news

More For You

Defender Dakar

The Defender Dakar brings equipment developed for rally racing into a road-legal limited-run model

X handle/autocar

Land Rover’s wildest Defender yet is the Dakar racer you can actually drive on the road

  • The Defender Dakar gets a 626bhp twin-turbo V8.
  • Its 35-inch all-terrain tyres are fitted to forged 20-inch wheels.
  • Reservations are expected to open early next year.

Land Rover is taking one of its most extreme off-road machines out of the desert and onto the road, with the Defender Dakar turning technology developed for the Dakar Rally into a limited-run road-legal model.

Revealed at Monterey Car Week, the new Defender is based on the Defender Octa but incorporates a series of upgrades developed for JLR's works Dakar racer. It gets a 4.4-litre twin-turbocharged V8 producing 626bhp and 553lb ft of torque, with power sent to all four wheels through an eight-speed automatic gearbox.

Keep ReadingShow less