Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Submit Guest Post

Ganguly leaves hospital as oil brand's 'heart healthy' ads pulled

Ganguly leaves hospital as oil brand's 'heart healthy' ads pulled

Indian cricket chief Sourav Ganguly left hospital on Thursday (7) as a cooking oil company withdrew adverts featuring him because of the heart attack he suffered.

Hundreds of youths gathered outside the hospital as the 48-year-old walked out accompanied by his wife Dona.


"I am absolutely fine and hope that I will resume my work soon," the Board of Control for Cricket in India president and former national captain told reporters.

"I also hope to fly soon," he added.

Ganguly suffered a heart attack while working out in a gym on Saturday and was rushed to hospital where he underwent an angioplasty operation.

"His heart today is as strong as it was when Sourav was 20 years old," cardiac surgeon Devi Shetty told reporters.

"Sourav can participate in a marathon, fly a plane, or even get back to cricket if he wants without this event being any setback."

But a series of cooking oil adverts featuring the cricket icon have been pulled off the air because of the incident. Ganguly says in the adverts that the oils are "heart healthy".

Social media users accused the oil brand Adani Wilmar, co-owned by Indian billionaire Gautam Adani, of making false claims through a cricket hero.

The company said it was "a very unfortunate incident and can happen with anyone" as they confirmed a halt in the commercials.

"The ricebran oil is not a medicine but only a cooking oil. There are several factors which affect heart ailments including dietary and hereditary issues," Angshu Mallick, Adani Wilmar chief executive, said in statement.

"We shall continue to work with Sourav and he will continue to be our brand ambassador. We have only taken a temporary break in our TV commercial until we again sit with Sourav and take things forward."

Ganguly retired from Test cricket in 2008 having scored 7,212 runs including 16 centuries. He also scored 11,363 runs in 311 one-day internationals.

Add EasternEye As Your Trusted Source
preferred source on google news

More For You

Kush Maini

Maini, who is also part of the Alpine Driver Academy, has been the team's reserve driver since Season 10 and has impressed in testing, including topping a rookie practice session in Jeddah last year.

Formula One

Mahindra sees Kush Maini as future Formula E driver, says Bertrand

Mahindra Racing CEO and Team Principal Frederic Bertrand says Kush Maini has the potential to become the team's Formula E driver in the future, but made it clear that the team will not compromise on its competitive ambitions simply to have an Indian behind the wheel.

Maini, Mahindra's reserve driver who also competes in Formula 2, has been involved in the team's development programme and regularly attended races to familiarise himself with the demands of Formula E. He did not get a race in the 2025-26 season.

Keep ReadingShow less