Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Eng vs Ind: Police arrest fan after racism allegations during Edgbaston Test

“He remains in custody for questioning”.

Eng vs Ind: Police arrest fan after racism allegations during Edgbaston Test

Birmingham Police on Friday said that a fan has been arrested for a 'racially aggravated public order offence', following reports of racist behaviour during the fifth rescheduled Test match between India and England at Edgbaston.

A number of allegations were made on social media following the close of the Day 4 of the match, which England won by seven wickets to draw the series 2-2. "A 32-year-old man has been arrested for a racially aggravated public order offence after reports of racist, abusive behaviour at the test match in Birmingham on Monday," Birmingham Police said in a statement.


"He remains in custody for questioning," the statement further added.

Several Indian fans made claims on Twitter that they had faced racist abuse from other fans during the match towards the end of Day 4.

The incident was also highlighted on Twitter by former Yorkshire spinner Azeem Rafiq, whose allegations of racism at the club had rocked English cricket last year.

Earlier, Warwickshire Country Cricket Club promised to work harder to deliver its zero-tolerance approach against racism on the premises of its home venue, Edgbaston Stadium.

(ANI)

More For You

Ken Tranter

Ken Tranter was elected Hampshire county councillor for Aldershot South on May 7.

Reform UK

Reform councillor apologises after ‘non white persons’ post sparks backlash

A NEWLY elected Reform councillor in Hampshire has apologised after a Facebook post about “non white persons taking over” a public park sparked criticism and accusations of racism.

Ken Tranter, who was elected Hampshire county councillor for Aldershot South on May 7, wrote that he had spoken to police about “non white persons taking over the Municipal Gardens and the strong pervading smell of canabis [sic]”.

Tranter, an army veteran who served 29 years in the regular and Territorial Army and later became mayor of Dover between 2005 and 2006, said he had promised residents he would raise concerns about the park if elected, reported The Times.

Keep ReadingShow less