Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

SpaceX rocket breaks apart over the Indian Ocean in third failed launch

The spacecraft experienced issues when the release door failed to open properly

SpaceX Rocket Disintegrates Over Indian Ocean in Third Failed Launch

The repeated failures come at a crucial time for SpaceX

Getty Images

Elon Musk’s aerospace company SpaceX has suffered its third consecutive rocket launch failure after its Starship spacecraft lost control shortly after lift-off and crashed into the Indian Ocean.

The incident occurred on Tuesday night during an attempted mission to deploy satellites into orbit. Shortly after launch, the spacecraft experienced issues when the release door failed to open properly. This resulted in the rocket spinning out of control, ultimately leading to its destruction over the Indian Ocean.


SpaceX confirmed that the spacecraft experienced a “rapid unscheduled disassembly” – a term the company uses for mid-air break-ups. “Teams will continue to review data and work toward our next flight test,” the company said in a statement published online.

Despite the failure, Musk described the attempt as a “big improvement” on previous test flights, which ended with wreckage scattered over the Atlantic Ocean. He also announced plans to accelerate the testing schedule, with the next three launches expected to occur every three to four weeks.

This particular flight marked the first time a recycled booster was used as part of the rocket’s construction. Although SpaceX successfully demonstrated booster-catching technology last year, there were no plans to retrieve the booster during this flight. Instead, it disintegrated over the Gulf of Mexico.

Earlier this year, two previous Starship launches also ended in failure shortly after take-off, with both rockets crashing into the ocean before clearing the Caribbean. No injuries or major damage were reported, though the incidents did cause some disruption to air traffic.

In preparation for the latest attempt, the Federal Aviation Administration had approved the launch while expanding the safety hazard zone and scheduling the lift-off outside peak air travel hours. SpaceX also introduced upgrades to the spacecraft, including modified thermal tiles and new catch fittings designed for future recovery tests.

Although this flight was intended to end in the Indian Ocean, the modifications were part of long-term plans to return spacecraft to the launch site eventually.

The repeated failures come at a crucial time for SpaceX, which is under pressure to demonstrate progress with its Starship programme. Nasa is relying on the system for future lunar missions, including an uncrewed flyby of the moon next year, followed by a planned lunar landing with astronauts in 2027.


More For You

Jio Platforms

Jio Platforms includes India’s largest telecom operator, Reliance Jio Infocomm, with more than 500 million users. (Photo: Reuters)

Reuters

Jio IPO planned for mid-2026, AI unit announced with Meta and Google

RELIANCE Industries plans to take its telecom and digital arm, Jio Platforms, public by mid-2026, chairman Mukesh Ambani said on Friday. The announcement sets a new timeline for the long-awaited IPO of a business analysts value at over $100 billion.

At its annual general meeting (AGM), Reliance also announced the launch of an artificial intelligence unit in partnership with Google and Meta.

Keep ReadingShow less
JLR-Getty

A logo is pictured outside a Jaguar Land Rover new car show room in Tonbridge, south east England. (Photo: Getty Images)

Getty Images

UK car exports to US rebound after trade deal

UK VEHICLE exports to the United States rose in July after a new trade deal between London and Washington reduced tariffs, industry data showed on Thursday.

According to the Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders (SMMT), exports increased 6.8 per cent in July to nearly 10,000 units, following three consecutive months of decline.

Keep ReadingShow less
Migrant hotel workers call off strike after reaching agreement

Workers at Radisson Blu hotel in Canary Wharf

Migrant hotel workers call off strike after reaching agreement

WORKERS at the Radisson Blu hotel in Canary Wharf have cancelled a planned six-week strike after reaching an agreement that met all their demands.

The group of housekeepers, most of whom are migrant women from Nepal and members of the United Voices of the World (UVW) union, were due to begin industrial action on Sunday (31). It would have been the longest hotel strike in the UK since 1979, a statement said.

Keep ReadingShow less
enforcement directorate

The Enforcement Directorate searches were conducted at locations linked to the Gupta brothers, Piyoosh Goyal of World Window Group, and entities such as Sahara Computers and ITJ Retails Pvt Ltd.

Getty Images

India agency acts on South Africa request in Gupta brothers probe

INDIA's financial crime fighting agency, the Enforcement Directorate (ED) on Tuesday carried out searches at locations connected to the Gupta brothers of South Africa and their associates in a money laundering case.

The action followed a Mutual Legal Assistance Request (MLAR) received by India from South Africa in connection with the "state capture scam," reported PTI quoting sources.

Keep ReadingShow less
Trump and Modi

Donald Trump speaks with the press as he meets with Narendra Modi in the Oval Office of the White House on February 13, 2025. (Photo: Getty Images)

Getty Images

Trump’s doubling of tariffs on Indian imports takes effect

Highlights

  • US tariffs on Indian imports rise to as much as 50 per cent
  • Nearly 55 per cent of India’s $87bn exports to US could be affected
  • Exporters warn of job losses and call for loan moratoriums
  • India says support measures will be offered to affected exporters

US PRESIDENT Donald Trump’s doubling of tariffs on Indian imports took effect on Wednesday, raising duties on some shipments to as much as 50 per cent. The move escalates trade tensions between India and the United States.

Keep ReadingShow less