Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Four Asians found guilty of killing delivery driver

The four assailants knew about the route the delivery driver, Aurman Singh, would take and attacked him near the Berwick Avenue area in Shrewsbury

Four Asians found guilty of killing delivery driver

FOUR men of Asian origin were found guilty on Thursday (28) of the murder of a 23-year-old delivery driver, also of Asian heritage, last August in Shrewsbury, western England.

Aurman Singh was pronounced dead at the scene when the local West Mercia Police attended reports of an attack in the Berwick Avenue area of the city. They later arrested four men on suspicion of murder.


Arshdeep Singh, 24, Jagdeep Singh, 22, Shivdeep Singh, 26, and Manjot Singh, 24, who were armed with weapons including an axe, hockey stick and shovel were charged with Singh's murder.

"The attack on Aurman Singh was planned and organised by a group of men who armed themselves with weapons and used a level of violence that can only suggest they intended to kill him,” said Detective Chief Inspector (DCI) Mark Bellamy of West Marcia Police, who led the investigation.

“They used inside information to pick a location where they knew he would be and lay in wait before carrying out the brutal attack in broad daylight,” he said.

All four men denied murder were found guilty by a jury after a six-week trial at Stafford Crown Court this week.

A fifth Asian-origin man, Sukhmandeep Singh, 23, believed to be the “inside man” who sent information about Aurman's deliveries on the day he was murdered, was found guilty of manslaughter.

Throughout the trial, no evidence emerged that would explain a motive behind the brutal attack on Aurman Singh.

The court heard that none of the men had any links to Shrewsbury or the counties covered by West Mercia Police and Aurman Singh's murder last year had a significant impact on the local community.

DCI Bellamy said residents provided vital information to assist with the investigation and gave evidence in court.

“The verdict should send a strong message to those who think they can come into our towns and cities to commit violent crime that we will not stop in our efforts to find them and put them before the courts," he said.

The force described it as a complex investigation, which involved police forces across the country.

Aurman Singh's family stated that they were at a loss for words that could ever explain the impact the tragedy had on them.

"Today a mother will grow old without her son. A sister will grow up without her brother. We don't want what has happened to us to happen to another family. It is an unbearable loss for us which has changed our lives," the family statement read. (PTI)

More For You

Streeting

Streeting said he wanted all possible candidates to have the opportunity to take part, including Andy Burnham.

Getty Images

Wes Streeting enters race to challenge Keir Starmer

Highlights

  • Streeting says he will stand in any Labour leadership contest
  • Former health secretary calls for “a proper contest” after resigning
  • Andy Burnham preparing return to parliament through by-election
  • Starmer rejects calls to step down after Labour election losses

FORMER health secretary Wes Streeting said on Saturday that he would stand in any leadership contest to replace prime minister Keir Starmer, days after resigning from the government and urging Starmer to set a timetable for his departure.

Keep ReadingShow less