Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Cockpit voice recorder recovered from debris of crashed Pakistani plane

SEARCH teams on Thursday (28) recovered the cockpit voice recorder from the wreckage of a Pakistani airliner that crashed last week, a spokesman for the airline said.

The Pakistan International Airlines Airbus A320 crashed on May 22 into a crowded residential district of the port city of Karachi, killing 97 people on board. Two people survived.


"The search resumed this morning and the voice recorder was found buried in the debris," spokesman Abdullah H. Khan said in a statement. "The cockpit voice recorder recovery will help a lot in the investigation."

The flight data recorder had already been found.

Earlier, the spokesman told media the black box had been found and it contained both the data and voice recorder.

Parts of the wreckage of the A320 were removed from the site on Wednesday (27) after extracting them from building rubble in the densely populated area where the PIA jet crashed, residents and eyewitnesses said.

PIA flight PK 8303, flying from the eastern city of Lahore crashed roughly a kilometre short of the airport runway.

Under international aviation rules, French investigators from the BEA - the French air safety investigation authority for civil aviation - have joined the Pakistan-led probe because the 15-year-old Airbus jet was designed in France.

Their arrival was initially hampered by widespread travel bans in force to prevent the spread of COVID-19. The French team and technical representatives of Airbus and engine maker Safran had to be flown in on an Airbus A330-900 test plane.

Particular focus will be on the plane's CFM56 engines, one of which plunged into the side of a building, according to a person close to the investigation.

The engines were made by CFM International, a joint-venture of France's Safran and General Electric, and are among the most widely used and reliable in the airline industry.

The pilot reported both engines had failed shortly after the plane bounced and scraped along the runway in a failed initial landing attempt.

He made no reference to a landing gear problem as the aircraft followed what appeared to be a steeper-than-usual descent, according to people close to the probe. Video showed the wheels extended on the second, fatal attempt to land.

Safety experts stress it is too early to say what caused the crash.

More For You

Indians among victims as tourist bus overturns near New York

Police confirmed that many of the passengers were foreign nationals, including citizens of India, China, the Philippines

Indians among victims as tourist bus overturns near New York

A TOURIST bus travelling from Niagara Falls to New York city overturned on a highway near Buffalo on Friday (22), killing five people and injuring dozens of others. Police confirmed that many of the passengers were foreign nationals, including citizens of India, China, the Philippines and Middle Eastern countries.

The crash took place at about 12.30pm local time on the New York state Thruway near the town of Pembroke, around 40 kilometres east of Buffalo. The bus, which was carrying 54 passengers, rolled into a ditch after the driver lost control.

Keep ReadingShow less
Ciara Watkin sexual assault case

Ciara Watkin did not disclose her gender status

Instagram/ Terry Blackburn

UK trans woman Ciara Watkin guilty of sexual assault after failing to reveal transgender status

Highlights:

  • A 21-year-old transgender woman has been convicted of sexual assault in northeast England.
  • Ciara Watkin did not disclose her gender status before engaging in sexual activity with a male partner.
  • The Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) said the man could not give informed consent.
  • Watkin was found guilty on three charges at Teesside Crown Court.
  • Sentencing is scheduled for 10 October.

A transgender woman has been convicted of sexually assaulting a male partner after failing to disclose her gender status before sexual activity. Prosecutors argued that the man could not give informed consent, and the case has been described as having a significant impact on his mental wellbeing.

The case

Ciara Watkin, 21, from Stockton-on-Tees, met the man, also 21, on Snapchat in June 2022. She later engaged in sexual activity with him without revealing her gender status. During their first encounter, she told him she was on her period and could not be touched below the waist.

Keep ReadingShow less
Niagara Falls

Authorities said most of the 52 passengers were from India, China and the Philippines

Getty Images

Horror crash near Niagara Falls leaves 5 dead, dozens injured

Highlights:

  • A tourist bus returning from Niagara Falls overturned on a motorway in western New York.
  • Five people died and dozens were injured; passengers were mainly from India, China and the Philippines.
  • Authorities ruled out mechanical failure and driver impairment as causes.
  • Survivors included children, with patients taken to multiple hospitals.
  • Emergency blood donations and family support centres have been set up.

Five people have been killed after a tourist bus carrying passengers from Niagara Falls overturned on a motorway in western New York. Authorities said most of the 52 passengers were from India, China and the Philippines, with several children among them.

The crash

The vehicle lost control around 40 miles (64km) from Niagara Falls, near Pembroke, 30 miles (48km) east of Buffalo. Police said the bus veered into the median before landing in a ditch. Some passengers were thrown from the vehicle while others were trapped inside the wreckage for several hours.

Keep ReadingShow less
Trump names close aide Sergio Gor as ambassador to India

Sergio Gor. (Photo by Paul Morigi/Getty Images)

Trump names close aide Sergio Gor as ambassador to India

US president Donald Trump said on Friday (22) he would nominate Sergio Gor, one of his closest aides, to be the next US ambassador to India, where he will oversee frosty relations that have worsened with the planned doubling of US tariffs on goods from India next week.

Gor, who is currently the director of the White House Presidential Personnel Office, would also serve as a special envoy for South and Central Asian affairs, Trump said.

Keep ReadingShow less
London-tube-Getty

Members of the public outside Whitechapel Underground Station on February 12, 2025 in London. (Photo: Getty Images)

Getty Images

London Tube staff to hold seven-day strike in September

LONDON Underground staff will stage a series of rolling strikes for seven days next month in a dispute over pay and working conditions, the RMT union said on Thursday.

The walkouts will begin on September 5 and involve different groups of staff taking action at different times. The dispute covers pay, shift patterns, fatigue management and plans for a shorter working week, according to the RMT.

Keep ReadingShow less