Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

China says Diamer-Bhasha dam construction part of a 'win-win' bilateral cooperation

CHINA defended its state-run company taking up the contract to build the Diamer-Bhasha dam in Gilgit-Baltistan in Pakistan-occupied Kashmir (PoK) on Friday (15) despite objection from India.

"The construction is part of a "win-win" bilateral cooperation to promote the wellbeing of the local population," it said.


Pakistan government signed a whopping $5.8 billion contract on May 13 for a joint venture between Chinese state-run firm China Power and Frontier Works Organisation (FWO), a commercial arm of Pakistan's powerful military for the construction of the dam.

India on Thursday (14) took strong note of Pakistan awarding the mega-contract to build the dam in Gilgit-Baltistan, saying carrying out of such projects in territories under Pakistan's illegal occupation was not proper.

“China's position on the issue of Kashmir is consistent. China and Pakistan conduct economic cooperation to promote economic development and improve the wellbeing of the local people," Chinese foreign ministry spokesman Zhao Lijian said.

“This is mutually beneficial and win-win.".

The two countries are also building the $60 billion China- Pakistan Economic Corridor through PoK which connects both the countries. India has also objected to China over the CPEC as it traverses through PoK.

The ministry of external affairs in New Delhi said, "Our position is consistent and clear that entire territory of the Union Territories of Jammu and Kashmir and Ladakh have been, are and will continue to be integral and inalienable part of India."

"We have consistently conveyed our protests and shared concerns with both Pakistan and China on all such projects in the Indian territories under Pakistan's illegal occupation."

More For You

rishi-sunak-ai

FILE PHOTO: Former Prime Minister Rishi Sunak.

(Photo by Carl Court/Getty Images)

AI is already squeezing jobs for young workers, warns Rishi Sunak

  • Rishi Sunak says AI is already reducing entry-level job opportunities for young people
  • Business leaders privately telling him firms can grow without taking on more staff
  • He calls for National Insurance to be scrapped and replaced with taxes on company profits
  • Sunak, now an adviser to Anthropic and Microsoft, warns AI's jobs impact "may be different to previous technology cycles"

ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE is already making it harder for young people to find work, former prime minister Rishi Sunak has warned, adding that the government needs to act now to stop the problem getting worse.

Speaking to BBC Newsnight, Sunak said chief executives had been telling him privately that they were confident they could keep expanding their businesses without meaningfully growing their workforces.

Keep ReadingShow less